PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    Considering their appalling track record for supporting peripherals this time they have at least been doing something. Least there’s a vr section on the Sony store and there’s new games all the time. I remember the hmd Sony released on ps3 that worked with like 2 games before they canned it, in comparison it’s like night and day lol.
    I wouldn't call having a VR section on the Store wonderful support. How many of those awarding winning BIG AAA In-House games from SONY actually Support VR... Last Of US II, God Of War, Ghost Of Tsushima? SONY In-House support and commitment for VR hasn't been great or nearly enough.

And before Fishbowlhead jumps in... Yes, I do have PSVR with a PS4 Pro and Aim controller, with a collection of VR games including the likes of Astrobot ...

Comment

I wasn’t going to say anything, this time 🙂.

On the big hitter front, PS4 wouldn’t be able to run those games in vr, then theres the redesign needed to make them work, or even fun, in vr.

Im looking forward to the future of vr, but its not something im personally invested in.

We may see something like LoU2 quality with vr support on PS5, maybe.

Comment

If Sony are committed to VR then they need to drive the cost of developing VR to almost 0. Its possible the PS5 dev tools has some VR enabling software. We need to see more games with optional VR modes. Something like No man's sky has. I honestly don't see a reason why Cyberpunk can't have a VR for pcvr and psvr.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          If Sony are committed to VR then they need to drive the cost of developing VR to almost 0. Its possible the PS5 dev tools has some VR enabling software. We need to see more games with optional VR modes. Something like No man's sky has. I honestly don't see a reason why Cyberpunk can't have a VR for pcvr and psvr.
          You can't just "enable" VR in normal games, though. You generally have to design them from the ground up for it.

No Man's Sky got VR support but when you play it, the game's really different - like the interface, UI, etc., it's all different.

Comment

More Astro Bot, please!

Comment

Can I just say [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION], 10 out 10 for the thread title

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                You can't just "enable" VR in normal games, though. You generally have to design them from the ground up for it.

No Man's Sky got VR support but when you play it, the game's really different - like the interface, UI, etc., it's all different.
                Definitely. I don't mean just turn it on. Whatever work is needed to add VR needs to be cheep and easy though. Get developers to think about just slipping in a few more hours to get a VR mode.

Comment

I'm just happy PS is continuing with the tech and that the PS5 will bring improvements.

For me it's one area I wish MS would get onboard with but I feel after the Kinect disaster(s) they're reluctant to do anything but watch from the sidelines right now.

I don't have an Uber spec PC but honestly I'd love a device I could play HL Alyx on at home.

Comment

I can’t blame MS for not getting into console VR. The attach rate for PSVR is really quite poor. Less than 5 million headsets bought by 140 million PS4s. At least Sony have the advantage of being vertically integrated and have their own OLED display tech and tried and tested tracking tech. I hope that PSVR2 has been planned in from the start of development of the PS5 and the hardware will have features designed with VR in mind.

Comment

Yeah I can see it's not massively popular but still with better games coming out on the tech and the evolution of hardware on PC there surely is a tipping point for MS getting on board with it?

I guess if they did they would just support 3rd party devices as well.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        The only thing that really holds PSVR back is the controllers
                        Honestly, it needs room scale. Being able to walk (crawl, and hide) around a video game environment adds an entirely different dimension to the experience. It gives you a proper next-gen feeling.

If people don't have the space then regular VR works fine. But it's far too much of a great feature to pass up on. Give people room scale with a wireless headset at PSVR prices and they'll be onto a winner.

Comment

Actually, thinking about it I don't think I could 'step back' to a headset without room scale, no matter how good the resolution or the controllers are. I'd argue that it accounts for more than half of the experience.

Games like Budget Cuts wouldn't be half as good without it.

Comment

You can, but the results are exceedingly variable.

Comment

I mostly agree but it does depend on the type of game. If it's one that's going to make use of hand controllers then yeah, it needs a redesign. Something like Wipeout, or Elite, or DCS though isn't that big of a deal. You're using the same controls in VR and non-VR so all (all lol!) you have to do is add in support for twin view rendering and optimise. In the three games I mentioned they all play exactly the same in VR and on a monitor. The exception rather than the rule I imagine though.

Comment

PS4-era VR did enough to convince me that I like the concept and that it can really add to a game in a way that say, 3DTV, never did. I was half expecting to have a very rough around the edges feel, but to my mind it was a pretty decent product that worked better than I'd expected. Definitely interested to see what next-gen VR offerings look like, but I also feel like PS4 VR titles will be left for dead (the fact you can't use the new PS5 camera for them is telling) which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X