No announcement yet.

PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PSVR is, overall, the best implementation of VR imo. The crap I have to deal with on PC would put the average punter off fo sure. PSVR is super slick.

Comment

I know it seems extra icky in the covid era but I only noticed today how cheap preowned PSVR units have become. Possibly tempting in time unless PSVR2 is a strong upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        You can't just "enable" VR in normal games, though. You generally have to design them from the ground up for it.
        And that's the trouble, like with most add-ons and SONY really haven't bothered much or the major AAA 3rd parties. You saw glimpse's of brilliance like in the VR mode of COD VR , Ace Combat and StarWars Battlefield II but they aren't full games, only Capcom tried to make an AAA game for VR.

Never mind that for most people after the WOW factor wears off, they don't bother much with VR

Comment

I sometimes get the feeling that Resi 7 was a freak accident in that it was a brilliant regular game AND VR game.

I wonder how many games that same process could work with quite as well.

Comment

Jim Ryan says that Sony still whole heartedly believes in VR but that the industry still isn't near having it as mainstream device. Ryan has also stated that Sony currently has no plans to launch PSVR2.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...yan-interview/
              Jim Ryan says that Sony still whole heartedly believes in VR but that the industry still isn't near having it as mainstream device. Ryan has also stated that Sony currently has no plans to launch PSVR2.
              Eeeh, Sony say "they have no plans" for most things up until they announce them. They want the message to be on PS5 right now.

Comment

To be honest, I believe him. The thing is, PSVR2 will need a fresh wave of software from Sony to push it as a new product and they'll already have all their studios pushing on making PS5 software at the moment, the headset also needs a good install base to sell to when it launches in order to be profitable out of the gate meaning the first couple of years - especially during COVID times - is a bad time to launch it particularly when existing users can carry over their PSVR1 headsets. It's also hard for them to demo the unit during current conditions as well, they'd basically be committing to two hardware launches within a 12 month window where one is a hard lock to sell in the low millions at the very best across its lifetime. It feels like as long as the audience continues to be there it will come but more like something that will be mid-gen again, replicating the release strategy of the first unit.

Comment

Yeah, I agree Neon, I believe him too.

We know that VR headsets don't sell consoles in any significant numbers, and Sony's priority for the medium term is going to going to be cementing strong, ongoing sales for PS5.

I'd say the new headset is at a bare minimum 2, probably getting on for 3 years away.

Comment

Funnily enough psvr was exactly that got me to buy a PS4. It was Tetris effect that made me jump on the PS4 train, while some have been disappointed with psvr I have had nothing but fun from it. Sure over summer it’s been a lot harder as when it’s hot playing vr is not comfortable as you end up wet through but apart from that yeah fun times.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I'd say the new headset is at a bare minimum 2, probably getting on for 3 years away.
                      I'm not disagreeing - I just think that if Sony are thinking "a new PSVR is 2-3 years away" then that's plans for a revision, and therefore "we have no plans" is a bit disingenuous. Sony tend to do this.

Comment

If Sony release a new PSVR I think the biggest hurdle in my buying decision would remain software. As well recieved as Astrobot is Sony's investment in software for it is terrible and yet would be the biggest reason to get one. VR is still heavily reliant on indie and 'bitty' experiences with true full game titles far too few. Without those experiences being regular releases I don't think there'll be much growth so it quickly ends up being trapped in the same cycle each generation.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          Funnily enough psvr was exactly that got me to buy a PS4. It was Tetris effect that made me jump on the PS4 train, while some have been disappointed with psvr I have had nothing but fun from it. Sure over summer it’s been a lot harder as when it’s hot playing vr is not comfortable as you end up wet through but apart from that yeah fun times.
                          It’s not a knock on the quality of the device, software or experience at all - but they only sold PSVRs to fewer than 5% of PS4 owners. So we can see that it wasn’t a big sales driver for the console.

@Asura I see your point. But I think PSVR2 is probably very much parked at the moment. I’m sure there are ideas and internal business cases for it and/or various hardware or software aspects pertaining to it, but I doubt there are solid plans to release one. It may very well not come to pass. Which is probably why he is saying ‘No plans’.
                          Last edited by wakka; 30-10-2020, 13:23.

Comment

This sounds a lot like, the world is crazy right now and we've quietly postponed non essential projects.

I'm pretty sure it's planned but it's not urgent and as it's unannounced it's easy to delay.

Comment

Sony have revealed the controllers:

Stronger immersion with adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, finger-touch detection and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...yan-interview/
                                That aged fast

Comment

Working...
                                X