Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Meta Cambria?!

I can only imagine the F2P games it'll host will bring a whole new meaning to microtransaction 'Wales'...

Comment

PS VR2 details announced by Sony.

Horizon Call of the Mountain announced.
        Last edited by hudson; 05-01-2022, 02:29.

Comment

Comment

Sony doesn't look like its holding back with the tech this time.
            My main concern is that my current psvr sits on a shelf, mainly because most of the games for it are just 'experiences' and call of the mountain looks to be more of the same. Give me Horizon FW full game in VR and I'm there.
            Ill hold fire before I buy this one I think.

Comment

Yep, that's definitely the key caveat. VR has some amazing games but for a fair part the key ones are the most advanced or expansive ones. There needs to be a consistent line of true games in VR, no more pursuit of short experience titles to carry the headset

Comment

The disappointing thing is that it's wired.

Honestly given how things have gone with the Quest, I still think Sony are missing a trick here - they should really make a stand-alone headset as a PSP/Vita successor.

That aside, the hardware sounds good from what I'm seeing online. 110 degree FoV is wider than most of the main headsets and the PSVR was always a well-engineered thing (I found it the most comfortable headset of its generation by far).

Comment

Would there be any reason why this wouldn't work on a PC? It's one USB-C cable and everything else seems built in, so no need for cameras or trackers etc.

Comment

I don't mind that its wired provided it's priced to reflect that... but with the market moving to fully wireless it does seem like potentially the wrong choice for future proofing it, unless they bring out a newer wireless version later on in the cycle.

I've never owned a VR setup but like Cassius says I don't want short gimmicky tech demo experiences... I want full games presented in this format.

Nice that they've officially announced it all but so far it's a wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                      Would there be any reason why this wouldn't work on a PC? It's one USB-C cable and everything else seems built in, so no need for cameras or trackers etc.
                      I'd assume a work around is possible as was the case with PSVR1 but now that Sony is more involved in releasing titles on PC it would make sense for PSVR2 to be PC compatible so they can expand sales for all these VR titles that will otherwise be looking at low volumes being shifted. Their main issue other than software support is definitely going to be the extent to which Quest 2 now negates PSVR2. It's literally down to the exclusives now to make PSVR2 appealing and though the original has some gems if it was an accurate reflection of what to expect then I wouldn't be surprised to see PSVR2 tail off. Really hoping we get Astrobot 3 and Blood and Truth 2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        Depends what its API is. Same reason an Oculus or WMR headset doesn't work directly with SteamVR (requiring a compatibility layer). So, probably a compatibility layer would be needed. Valve/Oculus/Microsoft would have been involved in making the compatibility layers, will Sony oblige?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            The disappointing thing is that it's wired.

Honestly given how things have gone with the Quest, I still think Sony are missing a trick here - they should really make a stand-alone headset as a PSP/Vita successor.

That aside, the hardware sounds good from what I'm seeing online. 110 degree FoV is wider than most of the main headsets and the PSVR was always a well-engineered thing (I found it the most comfortable headset of its generation by far).
                            Make it wireless and your tying yourself into mobile processors and massive graphical downgrades, Id much rather they went the Valve index route and push the medium on with improvements in comfort control, and visual fidelity.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this. Although a truly wireless setup like Quest would be cool, I like that it's going to make use of the PS5 hardware rather than rely on a mobile chipset. Should make for some truly impressive experiences, like some of the ones people on PCVR are already enjoying.

Comment

I've not tried a wireless headset yet and I'm sure that they're nice, but I think I'd also agree that using the PS5's power feels like the right move here. The wiring situation from the original PSVR was a nightmare though and does need improving, so I'm really hoping the "one wire" setup is exactly that, and not "one wire up front, fifty round the back".

Also: vibration on the headset? Not sure how I feel about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X