No announcement yet.

PSVR2: Next-Gen Boogaloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best thing Sony could do for vr is let it work on pc and support it, but mandate a PSN version at the same time day & date, with publishing support options for small devs. Build vr up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Suddenly I picture a Quest style headset where you can slide out the screen as a traditional portable. I want it.
      More Google Cardboard - I believe there was some homebrew VR done on the Vita, but given the screen size and resolution, that'd have some big screendoor effect going on.

Comment

A shame though, seems we're firmly on course for a more of the same type of product which is great in terms of having a better experience but hard to see how they grow it rather than it drift away in time like so many PS peripherals.

Comment

I've not linked it as it's purely conjecture based on some tweets stating unverified information on Era but there's an interesting discussion going on about PCVR development.

The discussion has it that development of PCVR titles is starting to wind up and that companies like Valve are beginning to cease software development as the market has begun to dry up. There have been some tweets from devs citing how games they've released have suffered very poor sales and largely one thing has been fingered as the cause - Oculus Quest 2

The case is that Quest 2 is so successful as a standalone product that devs are seeing vastly better sales on it, as a result PCVR development simply isn't worth it, this also includes PSVR. However, despite the success of Quest 2 there has also been insufficient demand for AAA experiences so supposedly even Facebook are wrapping up high end development which is railroading VR heavily down a Quest driven low budget avenue.

This means that whilst VR is enjoying a healthy audience it's in a very particular manner, the reduction in demanding higher end titles therefore limiting the types of experiences but based on the content that has been ported to PSVR in its lifetime it also would suggest that PSVR2 could well experience a starvation of sorts of content - largely bouyed by cheaply ported Quest titles which would largely render the new release a bit pointless outside of a couple of Sony made exclusives.

Does the success of Quest 2 seem like a win or does the above scenario sound all too plausible and therefore accidentally creating a situation where when Quest loses popularity VR as a whole will fade away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Still, I wish we lived in a timeline where the PSVitaR was on the horizon.
            My biggest problem with this type of set up is keeping the screen clean and scratch free, putting two magnifying glasses up to a phone screen shows EVERYTHING!!!

Screen cleaner and anti static cloth are a must for this type of set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              even Facebook are wrapping up high end development which is railroading VR heavily down a Quest driven low budget avenue.
              It ties into what was said months ago. FB gets practically nothing from Star Wars: Vader Immortal, other than maybe some revenue (a drop in the ocean compared to their advertising revenue) and, at the time, consumer/commercial interest in their hardware. I'm sure the R&D was useful too. But solo, narrative experiences don't really serve their business aims.

Now, after owning a Quest 1, this is why I was so disappointed that PSVR2 is tethered, as I think the future of major consumer VR is stand-alone, or at least wireless. The Quest, in the metaphor, is the smartphone while the tethered PCVR is like the PSVita. It has its place, but was never going to get mass-market support given all of the requirements.

Oculus announced last month that their aim, from now on, is to build towards the VR metaverse - an internet 2.0 which is, essentially, The Oasis from Ready Player One, so that brandstm can carve out their own space in a VR universe.

Just like how core gamers kinda hate smartphone gaming, core VR users probably aren't going to like early stand-alone VR either. The Oculus users who have been bitching all year that multiplayer Quest spaces are full of n-word screaming 12 year-olds since Christmas 2020 are just seeing the very start of that.

I just hope that the patents we've seen from Valve pan out.

Comment

Comment

Most interesting bit is the suggestion software support will be addressed by trying to make AAA's support both traditional and VR rather than rely on experience style titles. I mean Astrobot kind of suggests how but really it sounds like you'll get much more eye candy but have to heavily water down the 'VR' experience to accomodate it. Something that the likes of GT works well with but God of War wouldn't beyond visual depth.

Comment

That's something Ive been saying for ages. Why not have GoW and Horizon in VR. Sure its not a 'full VR experience' but I think thats were it goes wrong, trying to make experimental experiences, rather than a solid game. I'd be happy to play all kinds of stuff in a VR environment.

Comment

The issue is the horsepower required for high fidelity VR. My pc drives DCS with loads of pretty stuff switched on at 1080p at about 100fps average. In vr, with super sampling at 1.2 (necessary to match fidelity of 2d) and an HP reverb (>4K resolution, again necessary to match 2d fidelity) with almost everything turned off (like not even any shadows) I can just about hit 60fps and it looks somewhere like a ps2/ps3 game at that point.

Interestingly Half Life Alyx looked the same to my eyes with a Rift S as it does with the reverb despite being about half the resolution. I think the effort required to develop vs the return just isn’t worth it.

Comment

Where's that from, [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION]?

Because I'm thinking sus reading the stuff about PSVR backwards compatibility. I'll be very surprised if they don't have 100% compatibility with PSVR1, day-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Where's that from, @QualityChimp?
                          Where's what from? The JCVD gif I posted 4 months ago?

It's from the film Breakin' (Breakdance in the UK).
                          The sequel was called Breakdance 2: Electric Boogaloo.
                          Electric Boogaloo is now a joke subtitle to a sequel.

Comment

He's gotten you mixed up with NI.

It would be pretty demented if it wasn't BC with PSVR1 games, to be honest. I haven't a clue regarding the technology but I can't think that would ever be something they would want. The library of VR games is not huge as it is. Speaking as someone very much in the market for this product, compatibility with all the stuff I missed on PSVR1 would be a big draw.

Comment

https://www.gamesradar.com/fill-your-vr-boots-with-3-free-psvr-games-coming-to-ps-plus-next-month/
                              In November Sony will be giving away three PSVR games as part of the PS Plus line up
                              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 13-10-2021, 21:25.

Comment

That's cool - there have been PSVR games on PS+ before, so hopefully it won't just be a repeat of those, but definitely a cool bonus. Not sure I'd pickup a PSVR1 now with PSVR2 around the corner, but I am interested in picking up PSVR2 as it looks like a good leap over Sony's first attempt, hopefully we'll see it at some point next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X