Genshin Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genshin Impact

Seems to be out on everything, trailers showed it to be free to play breath of the wild clone, when i fact it plays more like single player mmo hack and slash, choke full of money transactions which aren't needed inthe early game so far but once all that lovely currency stops rolling in by huge amounts from the exploring, quests and the adventure book (tick list of achievements) i can see problems levelling up new characters.

how the game plays is you have party of 4 characters in combat to switch between, characters have a set weapon and elemental abilities, matching the weak elemental to the enemy does big damage and combining say wind in to fire causing additional effects like exploding the fire into a aoe burnfest, and on tougher enemies you'll need take own shields both physical and elemental. Actions are pretty limited, 1 attack button which you mash for combo, holding it down at any point does a aoe push back attack. Abilities on 2 buttons, 1 is spamable and has alternative attack on holding it down, the other is a super attack powered up by defeating enemies. There is no option to block, but you have a dash like dodge tapping the run button, and characters with ranged weapons get the extra option to aim charged shots (holds the camera over the shoulder).

Outside of combat is lots of things lifted from BotW, cooking from collecting wildplants and meat, climb anything, swim, gild and running all stamina bar dependant, lots of side activities to open hidden chest from follow the blue ghost thing to environmental 'puzzles' by using the right element on lantern to name a few.

About the MT's and grind, everything from the account level, characters, weapons, accessories and by the looks of boss hunts all have exp grinds to them, at least early on where i am the exp scrolls and craftables are dropping plenty but those exp bars are getting huge and also require in game gold which i have plenty of as well but i can see that vanishing if i was to leveling up alot of characters. As far as getting new characters, i was given 4 from the story quest but didn't come across any others as am stuck levelling my account exp called 'adventure level' to level 10 to get the next story content, so there could be more for free?

I did look in the shop, i had plenty of the premium currency earned from the story and claimed from the 'mail' menu to buy a 'deal' pack which 100% gives this character in maid outfit with a claymore and earth based elemental stuff, it also rolled more gacha crap which gave me 5 weapons and 1 other character.

Summary, its F2P, it looks good for what it is, the map is huge and the interactions between the elemental in and out of combat is decent. I expect the grind to get harsh and bore as i continue, but i haven't spent a dime so far and i have plenty of the map to explore and quests to do. There is multiplayer co-op but it's unlocked after adventure level 15 or something like it, so no idea what the net code is like.

Was interested in this but left it alone after discovering it was F2P. Does it seem to have an end, or it's like a infinite gacha game? It's the latter that I'm afraid of.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      Was interested in this but left it alone after discovering it was F2P. Does it seem to have an end, or it's like a infinite gacha game? It's the latter that I'm afraid of.
      I would say it's the later as well, like a destiny/warframe you'll get story to go complete but the main meat is likely to clearing high level dungeons and gacha collecting new characters. I think it's worth ago for huge map and exploration(will take about hour to open it up from the start)

Comment

i think i'm hooked, at least for now, got lucky of wasting all the free gacha points i'd earned getting to rank10 (of which there real money bought crystals, which trades in prism stuff, which then can exchanged for 1 of 4 wish types which then buy gacha rolls) and ended up with the healing character which helps alot on the tougher bosses and the increased variety of synergised elemental and shielded enemies.

Grinding to adventure rank(AR)10 didn't take long and opened a ton of stuff which also lets me get more AR. I now have 4 main story quest lines to follow, opened up tree resin dungeon combat arena's which so far have been wave based fights with a strict timer, like the open world resin plant boss fights, it uses up the 'daily replenished' tree resin. Other opened up stuff was adventure guild random quests a mix of fetch it, kill it, fix it, cook it, you get 4 daily replenished. Also have alot one off open world quests clocked up which have more though put into them the adventure quest.

Ventured south in to chinese themed land and found the 2nd of the 3 big cities, lots of high, high mountain to summit and plenty of crap littered around to find, which got me to rank 15 opening up co-op which i've yet to try, and the ability to break the level cap past 20 for characters/weapon and accessories, though i'm missing alot of the upgrade items to do so, but it helpfully tells where to find them which usually have 3 sources (something drops it in open world, some dungeon or the a shop). Similar to Destiny you can upgrade abilities with perks or swap abilities out for something new as you level past 20.

i do hope they improve the basic combat, the elemental combo's are what really drive it but it could really do with a jumping combo as you only get a downward strike if you get enough height (standard jump won't activate it, need glider height) and a dash/running strike. Also found out i should have been dumping the orbs (like crackdown, hidden around all over them place) into 'the 7 statues' which give stamina improvements, had enough add 1/2 an extra bar on to it.
        Last edited by Tobal; 30-09-2020, 22:29.

Comment

Intresed to give this a go but im not sure i should be suporting this dev when they have clearly been nicking assets form other games, Kotaku had a vid up where one of the female characters has a long sword and moves identically to 2b from Nier.

Comment

There's also the fact that 'Hong Kong' and 'Taiwan' are censored in chat

Comment

Yeah that's not gonna fly. It's had me intrigued but I'm going to pass.

Comment

I was playing for the first couple of days an enjoying myself. Even rolled a 5 star character (Mona) but eventually the gameplay loop got a bit stale and the combat frustrating. I saw the elemental gameplay stuff as more of a hassle whenever it pops up, things like an enemy with an ice shield (think Halo and how master chiefs shield works to protect his main health) when I don't have someone in my team with fire element attacks, to deal with it. Can't change party lineup when you're in combat either, so you suck it up or run away.

Learning that endgame is basically a job and that thing with the copied animations from Nier made me lose enough respect for the game to stop playing. At no point did the gacha or pay to win stuff put me off playing, I thought that was pretty fair to be honest, if anyone was wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  I was playing for the first couple of days an enjoying myself. Even rolled a 5 star character (Mona) but eventually the gameplay loop got a bit stale and the combat frustrating. I saw the elemental gameplay stuff as more of a hassle whenever it pops up, things like an enemy with an ice shield (think Halo and how master chiefs shield works to protect his main health) when I don't have someone in my team with fire element attacks, to deal with it. Can't change party lineup when you're in combat either, so you suck it up or run away.

Learning that endgame is basically a job and that thing with the copied animations from Nier made me lose enough respect for the game to stop playing. At no point did the gacha or pay to win stuff put me off playing, I thought that was pretty fair to be honest, if anyone was wondering.
                  Not sure how far you got, for everything but the open world they give you warnings on what to elementals to take in on dungeons and bosses at least. However i would say the game pretty much solidly built around 1 bow character plus wind+fire (ambers aimed bow is another must for boss fights, strong enemy weak points, knocking archers off towers, air slimes and plenty of open world shooting puzzles) then slotting in 2 of the other 4 elements.

I've made it to lvl40cap and AR25 which opens bunch of hard stuff where you really have dodge damage, heal and hit those elemental explosions against time limits. Big bosses have patterns to learn to either dodge or stop big attacks or finch them allow you to get some big damage in. Still not spent a dime as they throw alot of free stuff at me still, gotten 3 characters from gacha rolls and 2 from quests (outside the starting 3). Still have the south west of the maps low end content to explore and main story quest for the chinese themed area to finish.

The game is basically one giant content steal for ideas/gameplay let alone animations and the usual CCP censoring, however i'm enjoying still to play it once a day, though hitting the 40cap the levelling breaking and exp scrolls collecting are getting getting harsher to gather to point i'll likely stop once the main story quest fizzles up, but i would have gotten alot of hours out of it for free.

Comment

Initially i thought it was all a big content steal but the more you get into it it the more it feels like its its own game, the combat for one is massively different to Zelda and based around elemental synergy, hit someone with a water attack then swap to a electric character to proc Electro-Charge which doubles the dps your electro character dose. Hit a character with anemo (air) and then Pyro fire and your create a fire tornado that sucks everyone in this is just a couple of the elements that work together but their are loads more combos and once you start to get used to these you can do some really crazy stuff and build the most crazy team synergy. You only really need two high level characters as well as your likely to just use the others to jump in use an elemental move then swap back out to your main DPS. My current set up is main DPS two elements that compliment this main dps and a healer.

Their is a full break down of what works together here

Learn about all of the elemental reactions and the resonance bonuses you can activate to deal the maximum amount of damage to your foes

so far Ive been hitting the game hard i have spent money on it but only in the £20-30 range over course of playing and i have so much stuff to do with the characters Ive got and don't feel like i need to spend anymore as i have the makings of a strong team and two five star characters, Im lvl 70 and adventure rank 25 hundreds of hours in and haven't hit a pay wall or ever felt like the game wanted me to pump money in to continue. You could play the whole game without spending a penny on it and a lot of big youtubers do that and have pure free to play accounts. Upgrade materials are easy to come by even late game but you really only need to focus on your main dps characters and not level up everyone as this is a waste of materials. supports and healers can be in the 40s.

Exploration wise so far I've opened up all the map and quick travel points, done the main story all the side quests, as well as The dragons peak (high level endgame area) and the lantern festival event, everywhere feels packed with rewards, the lantern festival that just finished gave you hundreds of upgrade books just for playing, likewise dragons peak has tons of new things to find and materials and chests to loot.

My main takeaway is over the years I've played lots of free to play always hit a wall and always gone na nope im out. Ive never played one this generous before you normally hit a wall or the free stuff drys up but this just doesn't seem to be the case. Most big budget retail games have a massive amount of micro transactions in them from the start, Yes their is a youtube following of people pumping stupid sums into its premium currency to get certain characters but then fifa has that too and its a yearly £60 game. To sum up the characters it gives you are good, its not a hard game, you will get characters just from playing, you don't need to spend money on it and its a fun word to explore, the art and music are really nice too.
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 02-03-2021, 09:37.

Comment

i stopped playing when i hit the level 40 cap on 7 characters and had covered all the low level areas. Couldn't figure out where to get the level cap break items for each character (nearly all of them asked me to fight monsters i didn't have access to) and then the fact to improve and unlock abilities you had to roll the same character from gacha to turn them in to items to upgrade it. Might go back when a proper PS5 version is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                        i stopped playing when i hit the level 40 cap on 7 characters and had covered all the low level areas. Couldn't figure out where to get the level cap break items for each character (nearly all of them asked me to fight monsters i didn't have access to) and then the fact to improve and unlock abilities you had to roll the same character from gacha to turn them in to items to upgrade it. Might go back when a proper PS5 version is out.
                        its had a ps5 update of sorts it now runs at 60fps in 4k

soooo around the map are a various boss monsters that drop the materials you need to level up you just need to find there lairs by exploring the map they all start off at lvl 40.

Don't waist materials upgrading everyone stick with one main dps and have a team of three others that compliment them, ignore constellations too their nice bonuses but your main focus should be leveling players talents, artifacts, and weapons, next to your player level these are where your character damage comes from and if your ignoring these your gonna be doing pretty poor damage.

Artifacts are everywhere and come in grey, green, blue, purple and gold (gold are the highest) focus on finding artifacts with attack percentage and level these up and replace them when you get better one's don't worry about wasting materials to upgrade them too as you can put the old ones into leveling the new ones and only loose a small amount, one good artifact can scale your damage output by 45% when it says attack percentage + 35 that's a scaled bonus that grows with your character when your happy with the artifact system take it further by looking for sets that give you passive bonus its a massively involved system think of it as akin to playing an rpg and ignoring your Armour as one is directly related to your health too.

Talents every character has 7 different talents and you should level your main DPS talents first, take the traveler his/her talent sitting wind (The last hit of a Normal Attack combo unleashes a wind blade, dealing 60% of ATK as Anemo DMG to all opponents in its path thats a 60% boost on your final hit!!! all these require to upgrade are talent books and monster materials these are everywhere you can even buy them in the gem shop in mondstadt their more important than constellations as if your ignoring them like artifacts your missing out on massive damage.

Weapons are self explanatory find or craft a 4 star weapon and level the **** out of it the higher the weapon lvl the more damage it dose

I cant believe your only at character level 40 and AR 25 I'm AR 25 and character lvl 70+ as my highest. You can fight the bosses at any point, their all variation on a theme and require a certain character ability to really do well with them. Take the big ice plant that drops upgrade materials for you your ice characters the Cryo Regisvine. If you go in their with an Pyro or electric characters your gonna absolutely stomp it.

The above things don't feed of the gatcha system as your main source for these items is the game world and its monsters and dungeons.

I think what you have done is pushed your adventure rank up to high without understanding the character leveling process, adventure rank makes the world more difficult but ups the rewards you get from monsters, its also pushes the world boss monsters lvls up AR 25 puts them at around lvl 50 so you might have to take in some healing materials but i bet you could still smash them with the right team even with you being LVL 40 highest.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 03-03-2021, 15:01.

Comment

AR25 was easily reached at the time just buy exploring the land, finishing all the sides quests and story, getting plenty of wind thingys and geo's thingys, unlocked every warp, and all the dungeons warps, and at the time doing the 3(or was it 4) random guild quests daily. I just remember looking at items i needed to unlock the level caps (let alone the weapons, i had made 3 of those super weapons from the blacksmith), and the drops coming from a fire version of the massive plant boss which i couldn't see on the resin Boss list or in a dungeon. I can get the main character past 40, from what i remember as the unlock stuff was easy to get.

I understand not blowing exp scrolls on a ton of characters, but i liked some of the characters i had rolled from the free currencies i had gotten since launch, specially the tank maid and the counter pirate women. I'll give it go again once i finish control.

Comment

Honestly I started to get into this, but I was really disappointed to see that while the PC and mobile versions are cross-platform, the PS4 version isn't, and the Switch version still hasn't appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                              AR25 was easily reached at the time just buy exploring the land, finishing all the sides quests and story, getting plenty of wind thingys and geo's thingys, unlocked every warp, and all the dungeons warps, and at the time doing the 3(or was it 4) random guild quests daily. I just remember looking at items i needed to unlock the level caps (let alone the weapons, i had made 3 of those super weapons from the blacksmith), and the drops coming from a fire version of the massive plant boss which i couldn't see on the resin Boss list or in a dungeon. I can get the main character past 40, from what i remember as the unlock stuff was easy to get.

I understand not blowing exp scrolls on a ton of characters, but i liked some of the characters i had rolled from the free currencies i had gotten since launch, specially the tank maid and the counter pirate women. I'll give it go again once i finish control.
                              Doh I'm adventure lvl 39 and character lvl 70 so your right on pace where you should be my bad. My recommendation would be to go fight the world bosses still as you should smash them super easily and you get tons of stuff to lvl up your characters.

The lighting BOSS and the big ice plant you should of come across already if you have opened all the first area map, you will have to venture into Liyue for the other monsters, the game naturally takes you their via the next set of missions or you can just go explore and open the rest of the map up.
                              Last edited by Lebowski; 05-03-2021, 10:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X