No announcement yet.

Hades [PC/NSW]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big one for me was rather than sticking to your initial preferences and trying to race to the end, instead focus on experimenting and trying out as much as you can. Take whichever weapon is currently on bonus, rather than whichever one you think you're best with. Always consider taking a new boon whenever one's available. Personally I found the upgrades (from the hammer-designated rooms) totally changed how a lot of weapons work, and it wasn't until I'd seen each of them that I begun to realise that some weapons I'd overlooked were actually way more powerful than I'd assumed from first impressions - particularly so when you know there's a lot of boons that'll further enhance whichever aspect of it you're now valuing.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      The big one for me was rather than sticking to your initial preferences and trying to race to the end, instead focus on experimenting and trying out as much as you can. Take whichever weapon is currently on bonus, rather than whichever one you think you're best with. Always consider taking a new boon whenever one's available. Personally I found the upgrades (from the hammer-designated rooms) totally changed how a lot of weapons work, and it wasn't until I'd seen each of them that I begun to realise that some weapons I'd overlooked were actually way more powerful than I'd assumed from first impressions - particularly so when you know there's a lot of boons that'll further enhance whichever aspect of it you're now valuing.
      Yep, good advice there: experiment with lots of the weapons on 'bonus' and pump the extra darkness you gain back into the mirror. To overcome the initially overwhelming flood of boons and effects it's useful to try to note the different thematic boon characteristics of each god (e.g. poison/curse/area of affect ones from Dionysus and Ares, slam/knockback ones from Poseidon, shielding/deflect ones from Athena, accuracy/critical ones from Artemis, etc.), then you can combine them to cool effect, e.g.: a knockback from Poseidon plus a poison from Dionysus and you can shove enemies away, stack them with poison and watch them perish from a safe distance.

A good early bonus, once you get hands on some nectar, is to give them first to Cerberus and/or Skelly instead of to a god. You'll see why.

Good luck, @Zen Monkey, it's a stunning game.
      Last edited by Golgo; 01-04-2021, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        Started this yesterday after picking up the physical version for a pony. I like the art style, the music is brilliant and the gameplay (from the hour or two I played) seems decent. I like it. Any tips for a beginner?
        Dodge like an absolute mofo. Learn the best combinations of gods for your chosen weapon.

Comment

Cheers, fellas. Your counsel is appreciated. I'm looking forward to putting some time into the game over the weekend and will bear your advice in mind.

Comment

The nice thing about Hades is failure is actually enjoyable. Every time you respawn back in the palace you learn and converse with all the characters, thanks to the great writing & voice acting you get to unravel the story bit by bit.
            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 03-04-2021, 19:34.

Comment

This is one of the best games I've played in a while. The gameplay is so pure and satisfying with pitch perfect risk-reward mechanics. It reminds me of Diablo in many ways (but better) and difficult to fault.

The art, the sound, the writing, the setting are all brilliant. I especially love the Greek mythology setting. I know it's overused in gaming but as a child my favourite book was about Greek gods, goddesses and legends. I read it every night for years and have loved ancient Greek tales ever since. Indeed only last month I read 'The Myth of Sysiphus' by the French philosopher Albert Camus in which he compares man's life with that of Sisiphus who in Greek mythology was condemned to repeat forever the meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a hill every day, only for it to roll back down again, Camus argues that in realising the absurdity and futility of his situation but accepting it, that Sisiphus is able to find happiness, and that man can to in the face of life's absurdities... but I'm digressing so that's enough of that.

Getting back to the game, I was especially lucky during one early run whilst using the rail gun weapon. I picked up the x 5 special 'grenade launcher' boon and the 300% special damage which meant I was able to complete the game quite easily. It wasn't a very satisfying weapon to use though and I've not been back to it since. I much prefer the fists or sword or shield which are much more fun and satisfying, albeit more challenging.

Comment

Getting back to the game, I was especially lucky during one early run whilst using the rail gun weapon. I picked up the x 5 special 'grenade launcher' boon and the 300% special damage which meant I was able to complete the game quite easily. It wasn't a very satisfying weapon to use though and I've not been back to it since. I much prefer the fists or sword or shield which are much more fun and satisfying, albeit more challenging.
                That's a nice early 'get'. You're right, though, the rail is not the most satisfying way to beat the game. It was my first clear too. Even the in-game characters/gods are sniffy about it.

Comment

Yep got my first complete with the rail as well, I persevered with the other weapons but just got such bad luck with the god combos that after 40 goes never got a good combo. 2 tries with the rail and i cleared the last boss.

Comment

Yeah, luck plays a big roll in how things go (for players like myself anyway, I suspect better players succeed regardless what boons are dished out) but I don't mind it because it fits the setting and characters - fickle gods and fate and all that.

I think the fists are my favourite weapon. I want to get good with the spear but I find I'm too static when I use it and being static gets me hit.

Comment

Yeah, luck plays a big roll in how things go (for players like myself anyway, I suspect better players succeed regardless what boons are dished out) but I don't mind it because it fits the setting and characters - fickle gods and fate and all that.

I think the fists are my favourite weapon. I want to get good with the spear but I find I'm too static when I use it and being static gets me hit.
                      Sorry if this is obvious, but if you want a better chance to control fates and the fickleness of the gods, you can try equipping a trinket from this or that god in order to guarantee the boon-type you want (first boon of each level). 4 times over 4 levels, with increasing rarity rates the more you use that particular trinket, and that gives you quite a lot of control to direct things towards a particular build.

Comment

I must admit I haven't used the specific God keepsakes. I always equip the Old Spiked Collar (+50 life) for the first stage, swap it for the Bone Hourglass (+8 encounter durations for items from Well of Charon) for the second and third stages, and then Lucky Tooth (gain 100 health upon death) for the final stage. I think those are only 3 keepsakes I've used and are all levelled up to the max.

I should really experiment with and level up the other keepsakes... but they take so long to level up.

Comment

You can pretty much max out any keepsake on a couple of decent runs, I found. Thanatos' keepsake is absolutely superb, btw (+1 to +2% damage increase for every room cleared without sustaining damage). Combine that with some of the other damage multipliers from the mirror and you can get seriously beefed up.

Comment

Cheers for the tip. I'll try that keepsake. If nothing else, it should encourage me to play smarter (or get gud) instead of rushing in with total abandon.

Comment

Using Thanatos' keepsake was sound advice, Golgo, particularly for the first stage where damageless (is that a word?) encounters aren't that difficult. It's helped me complete the game using all weapons with the exception of the spear and even some successful increased heat runs.

The only character who still gives me grief is Charon who I've yet to best, indeed the few times we've gone at it, he quickly destroyed me

Comment

No probs, glad the Thanatos keepsake worked out

You've got to hold your nerve with that sometimes if things go wrong towards the end, as the temptation to switch it out (and lose all those sweet damage buffs) in exchange for an extra death defiance from Skelly can be almost irresistible.

I've beaten the game 11 times, by the way, and not once even come close to beating Charon.

Comment

Working...
                                X