Hades [PC/NSW]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hades [PC/NSW]

No-one on this? It's being raved about all over my feed, and having just kicked it off I see why. It's a good one, folks.

At a very crude, reductive level, think Dead Cells meets Diablo? It's very fast and slick looking, and although it's randomly generated dungeons and back to the start when you die, there's also a lot of permanent upgrades and unlocks that you can work toward to make the slog a lot less daunting. I feel like there's a big effort being made to not let the rogue like element scare people off.

The basic structure sees you fight through a chamber where you're set upon by a range of nasties, and on clearing it you'll typically get presented with a selection of doors which also signpost what you can expect as an additional reward on clearing it. This might be one of its many currencies (some are lost on death, others are used for pre-run upgrades), power-ups, or the ability to summon one of the other gods and then choose from the skills they can offer you. There's clearly a lot of diverse ways you can choose to play, and finding a build to support your chosen approach is a huge deal.

A lot of the commentary I've seen makes a very big deal of supporting characters too - as well as those that dole out your skills, the bosses are uniquely chatty too, and on closing out each run you're back to Hades, where they'll often be there to talk about your recent fight and how they're planning to change things up to stop you getting through again next time/

I've barely played a couple of hours and I'm already totally engrossed - it's dense, challenging, and looks and feels great.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Bought this last night and only got about an hour in roughly. Still trying to figure out the systems and whats going gameplay wise. However its already grabbed me.

Love conversing with the npc’s in hades mansion and every time you go back theres new things to learn from them, as usual Supergiant games voice acting & lines are great and really help you connect to the game world.

Playing more tonight definitely.

Comment

I've been playing all day. I have nothing bad to say about it, other than where has it been all my life. It's taken me away from Spelunky 2, even.

I really cannot stress how good this is enough.

Comment

Played a few more hours today and getting the hang of it now. Absolutely love it, just drenched in charm and quality from top to bottom.

Comment

Ok totally addicted to this now.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to play much yesterday and now I'm totally gagging to get back for more. Annoyingly I've not made it past Ornstein and Smough Theseus and Asterius in Elysium yet, but I'll get them soon enough. I've been trying to keep switching up weapons, and I'm pleasantly surprised that I've come across skills that make all of them viable options. I feel that there are certain skills that if you don't find a way to incorporate, you're going to have a rough time though - one particularly great run was totalled in a witch lair as I was running melee and had not got anything set up to deflect. Boo.

Comment

I got passed Odysseus and the Asterius last night for the fist time using a Shield build with TONS of reflect levelled up with Artemis & Ares buffs, YAY!

Then
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-10-2020, 09:53.

Comment

Two runs tonight, both got to last boss - second one to second phase, even. So close, I can taste it!

Would love to know what causes some events to happen - was it by chance that

Demeter showed up on the very next run after my first fight with Hades?

Comment

Nice, looks good!!!!!

Comment

2 awful runs last night. Boons were just rubbish and really foiled me in Styx. Once again the rats bum f*****d me with poison draining all my last chances.

Hopefully my boons are better tonight.

Comment

I'd spent all of my titan blood, mostly on Chiron's bow, fancying that as my best shot at a clear. Particularly if you get the hammer upgrade to add extra arrows to your special, it seems pretty lethal. That said, I've still not quite made it over the line.

Then, last run of the night, I took the rail given it was +20% on dark matter, and wasn't feeling particularly optimistic about my build, but then the upgrade that allows you to self-harm with the special, but adds 300% damage happened. Stacked some other bits on special, and it turns out that it only does 4hp to yourself if you do get caught in it, but when it's able to hit for 500+, dashing about and just dropping bombs becomes a pretty viable strategy. My first clear, and with a stack of death defiance to spare!

This is clearly not the end, and there's a whole host of reasons to go back again (aside from being totally engrossed).

Comment

Squeezed in another couple of runs last night, because who needs sleep.

One thing I will say is that if you're struggling for the scarcer resources (particularly: titan blood), you have a very good way to start getting some more of this after your first completion.

Comment

Got two new weapon clears last night, the builds were particularly interesting;

Shield - soon as I got the hammer ability to make the special bounce off 4 more enemies, it was all in on that. Stack up doom on special, increased damage but delay on doom, other power %s on special... enter any room, dash to a safe spot, then just keep launching the special, and watch it just clear encounters like nothing.

Sword - had been stacking up chain lightning skills (more bounces + jolt damage) and increased attack speed, when a hammer ability came up that reduced health by 60% but restored 2 life on every hit. Tank-est skill ever; bunch up some enemies near each other, and even if they break free of hitstun, you can just stand there right next to them hold attack to power through.

Thanatos' keepsake (+2% damage for every room cleared without damage) is now my go-to for at least the first 2 worlds in every run now.

Comment

I just got this off the Epic game store using the £10 voucher they were handing out recently so it cost me £8.99.

Bit good isn't it! I love Dead Cells so this feels really great.

Comment

For the first time, I've got a win streak going! Also got clears with each weapon type, which was what I was originally shooting for. Very pleased, but still need to put in a bit more work for the proper ending, it seems...

Comment

Working...
                              X