Retro Rumble: Round 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My votes:

Devill Crash: An absolutely brilliant creation in all departments. Stands the test of time perfectly.

Chase HQ: The graphics still look really nice, it feels silky smooth, and the gameplay stands up well.

Forgotten Worlds: A top quality shoot 'em up that has detailed graphics, exciting design, and fun blasting action.

Comment

The votes so far:

Devil Crash: 4 votes
      Ghouls 'n Ghosts: 3 votes
      Chase HQ: 2 votes
      Forgotten Worlds: 2 votes
      Marble Madness: 1 vote
      Pac-Mania: 0 votes

Satan's favourite pinball game is rocking the top spot.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-10-2020, 22:57.

Comment

Is it okay to play MD GnG on the ‘practice’ setting as opposed to the ‘professional’? Are there any levels missing? I want to live the game but it’s just too darned hard.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
          Is it okay to play MD GnG on the ‘practice’ setting
          I won't tell anyone.

Are there any levels missing? I want to live the game but it’s just too darned hard.
          The developer actually had mercy and didn't shorten the game for noobs.

The Japan box art is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I walked 4 miles through a storm with hailstones raining down on me to get a step down converter for my import 3DO. But it was worth it to play Crash 'n Burn, Madden Football, and Total Eclipse. I have great memories of Crash 'n Burn being truly amazing at the time.
            I didn't walk that far LOL, but had to catch a bus up to Town and go to my local Woolworths to get the game . I was soaked to the sink ,but didn't care . I was playing the game all night and the howling wind and rain outside added to the atmosphere playing the game LOL.

Comment

You know what? I think this is my favourite Retro Rumble so far. No clear and obvious bankers but all stone cold classics all the same. Also TA’s account of GnG really stirred me and inspired me to give the MD version another go (albeit on practice level) having got battered a few months back when playing it on my MD Mini. I finished the SMS version BITD but I don’t think that counts as it was far easier, or maybe my tekkers was just much better back then. Who knows.

Anyway, I’m not ready to decide my top three just yet. Instead I’m gonna comment on each and, more importantly, play them so my top three is objective.

Chase HQ - rinsed the Speccy and SMS versions back in the day. Disappointed by the GB and PCE versions BITD. Probably sacrilege to say it but I never played the arcade original until a few years back at Arcade Club.

Devil Crash - seen the debate on another thread and a controversial vote for the PCE version. Sure, the MD version sounds much better as one would expect, but I don’t like the fact it’s not full screen and there is a noticeable reduction in colours. Plus the PCE version was the one I played first so I’m more used to it... it just feels right.

Forgotten Worlds - never played it so on my to do list.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts - fantastic game but brutal difficulty. I hate the fact that when you pick up a new weapon you’re stuck with it, even when you die and continue. Feels broken when you’re lumbered with potions on the vertically scrolling level. Still, an absolutely classic.

Marble Madness - loved, and I mean LOVED playing the NES version 2P round my mate’s BITD. Arcade version is king but there are some decent home versions out there. Shame the Jp MD version costs so much as it’s practically arcade perfect, but no way I’m paying that much for it. Never.

Pac-Mania - fantastic in the arcade and actually a great conversion on the Amiga, shock horror.
              Last edited by samanosuke; 10-10-2020, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I was playing the game all night and the howling wind and rain outside

The perfect setting for such a spooky game.

Probably sacrilege to say it but I never played the arcade original until a few years back at Arcade Club.
                It still plays really well. Did you enjoy it?

Plus the PCE version was the one I played first so I’m more used to it... it just feels right.
                I also feel the PCE version is the one to play. The music in the MD version does make it a nice alternative though. Anyway, I'm off to play Alien Crush.

Shame the Jp MD version costs so much as it’s practically arcade perfect, but no way I’m paying that much for it. Never.
                Yeah, £180+ is way too much. I'd expect an arcade machine for that price.

Pac-Mania - fantastic in the arcade and actually a great conversion on the Amiga, shock horror.
                Yeah, the Amiga version was surprisingly good. One of my favourite games for the system in the early days.

Comment

Love Chase HQ and similar games, so that's top for me.
                  I haven't played much of PacMania, but I did enjoy the few times I have, so that makes the list.
                  Then I'll go for Marble Madness.

I like the idea of Ghouls n Ghosts, but I'm far too crap at the game to get any pleasure from playing it, and I'm not a great fan of pinball games.

Don't know anything about Forgotten Worlds, so I'll look that up and see if there's a way to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                    I'm not a great fan of pinball games.
                    I’d say give Devil Crash a go anyway. It’s unlike 99% of pinball games out there and could almost be described as a pinball/shmup crossover. Plus that soundtrack is to die for!

The only thing I’ve played like it since is Metroid Pinball which is great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Don't know anything about Forgotten Worlds, so I'll look that up and see if there's a way to play it.
                      It's on the Capcom compilations for the PS2 & Xbox.

I’d say give Devil Crash a go anyway. It’s unlike 99% of pinball games out there and could almost be described as a pinball/shmup crossover. Plus that soundtrack is to die for!
                      Yeah, the dev perfectly adapted pinball for the home and made it really interesting to play. There's loads of things going on that you wouldn't get on a normal pinball table. So even people who don't tend to like console pinball will probably enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X