No announcement yet.

Gaming facts you do not accept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not accept that a plethora of amazing Japanese cover art needed to be redrawn for western eyes (although it probably did).
    Last edited by hudson; 09-10-2020, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      I think Sega tried, but ultimately failed (though they saw some success with the Dreamcast; I believe by hiring some of the people who did it for Sony years earlier)
      The Pal Dreamcast advertising was shocking and poor, SEGA Europe was a joke at that stage. But in the 90's SEGA Europe really tried to bring in and appeal to the older gamer and looked to use the world of Pop and Sports stars for endorsements, been seen playing with their products. Yes, It was mainly for older male gamers mind, with SEGA Europe even being on the James Whale show with the release of Moonwalker on the Mega Drive or looking to use Cathy Dennis at some of her gigs, when the BBC wouldn't even show some of her Pop Videos LOL more adult-themed SEGA Pirate TV ads

SONY took that and upped it to the next level, looked not just to attract the older gamer, but people who never gamed before also made sure to get great SEGA PR staff like Simon Morris along with it (I'm sure it was him who was on the James Whale show, thinking back)
      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 09-10-2020, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura
        When I think of Sega's attempts to "market to adults", all the ones that stick in my mind are where, as a 10-yo kid, I thought they looked really grown-up and cool, not like kiddy-kiddy-Nintendo, who were "lame and for babies". But if I look at those things now, they really looked like they were focused at kids.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
        Yeah seems about right.

To contribute more fulsomely: interesting posts Asura. I agree that while videogames have always been something anyone can enjoy, gaming kinda limited itself for a little while in the early 90s with such a heavy focus on a particular audience in the West.

At the same time though, I can see why they did it, and maybe it wasn't the worst thing in the long run. Perhaps an initial focus on kids and teens helped gaming get the foundations to start reaching a wider audience with the PS1 onwards.
        Last edited by wakka; 09-10-2020, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          That advert is exactly what I meant, though. That would've felt "adult" to me when I was 12. Sega absolutely nailed that. And they were good at it, too! But it's not really aimed at adults.

Comment

I just posted a nob gag in another thread so I'm probably not the best person to comment on the above.

Comment

That advert is exactly what I meant, though. That would've felt "adult" to me when I was 12. Sega absolutely nailed that. And they were good at it, too! But it's not really aimed at adults.
              Like the cyber razor cut advert. It was really dark and 'adult'. Nothing nintendo did was even close and as a kid growing up I was like wow, that looks awesome.

Comment

That’s what I was getting at mate, I was agreeing with you.

EDIT: Oops! You were replying to TA, not me. Ignore me.

Comment

I refuse to believe that anyone in the world genuinely cares about competitive e-sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                    I refuse to believe that anyone in the world genuinely cares about competitive e-sports.
                    I find it hard to believe how much people care about it too, but they really do:

I mean, I watch Evo I guess.

Comment

It wasn't just that. Like I said SEGA had Mega Drive pods at Cathy Dennis concerts and others. Had the likes of various film and sports stars seen to promote their products along with heavy use of sponsorship for Football grounds and F1 or the 1st time I even saw ads in cinemas for SEGA stuff . That wasn't done just to attract 12 year-old Jonny, but to get the more mature gamer in their late teens to buy a Mega Drive, sadly it was a little too much Male focused

It wasn't like SONY S.A.P.S wasn't aimed at anything less than the 12 year-olds, but like SEGA did a lot of various other stuff. I credit SONY to making gaming attractive with the casuals. I knew quite a few people who bought a PS that never thought or looked to buy a gaming system before. The fact that they could also have their new PS modded in the local Tesco carpark and the only gaming spend was buying copied games for next to nothing, had nothing to do with it mind
                      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 09-10-2020, 16:01.

Comment

But that's another gaming fact I do not accept. Not on the same scale, but SEGA with the Mega Drive looked to bring consoles to the grown-ups and used music and films star's to promote their products. I remember Mega Drive pods being at Cathy Dennis shows along with her wearing an Ecco the Dolphin TV Shirt. SEGA looked to have football players seen wearing their tops (with headlines like John Barnes) plays SEGA sponsoring football and also The British GP and the Williams F1 racing team, along with clever grown-up adds like this
                        The Pal Dreamcast advertising was shocking and poor, SEGA Europe was a joke at that stage. But in the 90's SEGA Europe really tried to bring in and appeal to the older gamer and looked to use the world of Pop and Sports stars for endorsements, been seen playing with their products. Yes, It was mainly for older male gamers mind, with SEGA Europe even being on the James Whale show with the release of Moonwalker on the Mega Drive or looking to use Cathy Dennis at some of her gigs, when the BBC wouldn't even show some of her Pop Videos LOL more adult-themed SEGA Pirate TV ads

SONY took that and upped it to the next level, looked not just to attract the older gamer, but people who never gamed before also made sure to get great SEGA PR staff like Simon Morris along with it (I'm sure it was him who was on the James Whale show, thinking back)
                        It wasn't just that. Like I said SEGA had Mega Drive pods at Cathy Dennis concerts and others. Had the likes of various film and sports stars seen to promote their products along with heavy use of sponsorship for Football grounds and F1 or the 1st time I even saw ads in cinemas for SEGA stuff . That wasn't done just to attract 12 year-old Jonny, but to get the more mature gamer in their late teens to buy a Mega Drive, sadly it was a little too much Male focused
                        Quick question. Anyone remember if they ever had Mega Drive pods at Cathy Dennis concerts?

Comment

Is she related to Les Dennis?

Comment

Between the knob jokes in Viz and the playable demo of Shaq-Fu at Cathy Dennis's 1993 NEC appearance, I can't believe they didn't have the adult market nailed down.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                              That Ys is pronounced "Ease". It's clearly "Whys".
                              Real talk.

Comment

Reminds me of the time I played on a Dreamcast at a Steps gig.

Comment

Working...
                                X