Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're the boss! What games you putting on the Dreamcast Mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Most people believe the second game is superior and, overall, it probably is. It's great fun in 4-player. But the first game is a bit less chaotic and a bit more skillful, so much so that they feel like very different games. I love them both.
    Me and my friends preferred the first game, and those were the days when we were looking for anything and everything 4-player. The second game was certainly a lot less technical, as you say, and a lot worse off because of it. It seemed to go full party mode.

Comment

Rez,
      Shenmue 1 & 2
      Power Stone 1 & 2
      SNK vs Capcom
      Marvel vs Capcom
      Streetfighter Alpha 3
      Streetfighter 3 - 3rd Strike
      Outtrigger
      Headhunter
      Virtua Tennis 1 & 2
      Mr Driller
      Jet Set Radio & Jet Set Radio Future (Special edition DC bonus as was meant to come out on DC instead of XBOX)
      Gunbird 2
      Dead or Alive 2
      Resident Evil 2
      Resident Evil 3
      Resident Evil Code Veronica
      Sega Bass Fishing
      House of the Dead 2
      Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
      Ikaruga
      Skies of Arcadia
      Daytona USA 2001
      Bangai-O
      Soul Calibur
      Crazy Taxi
      MSR
      Samba Di Amigo
      Phantasy Star Online (Complete with pre broadband dial up modem speeds for authenticity)

Comment

They should chuck in Propeller Arena as a bonus.

Comment

All the original DC games that were either canceled or ported to XBOX due to the relationship with Microsoft but started on DC should also be included...

- Panzer Dragoon Orta
          - Crazy Taxi 3
          - Toe Jam and Earl III
          - Jet Set Radio Future
          - SEGA GT 2002
          - House of the Dead III
          - Outrun
          - Otogi I & II
          - Gun Valkyrie
          - 2K Sports Series

I have probably forgotten a few and some of these might push the original Dreamcast too far...
          Last edited by CAPCOM; 13-10-2020, 00:09.

Comment

18 Wheeler
            Bangai-O
            Border Down
            Cannon Spike
            Cosmic Smash
            Crazy Taxi
            Daytona USA 2001
            Dead or Alive 2
            Ferrari F355 Challenge
            House of the Dead 2
            Hydro Thunder
            Ikaruga
            Jet Set Radio
            Le Mans 24hr
            Mars Matrix
            Mr Driller
            Neo XYX
            Pen Pen Triicelon
            Power Stone
            Power Stone 2
            Propeller Arena
            Rez
            Sega Rally 2
            Sonic Adventure 2
            SoulCalibur
            Sports Jam
            Sturmwind
            Tokyo Highway Challenge 2
            Under Defeat
            Virtual Tennis 2
            Zero Gunner 2

These spring to mind as games I'd still want to play.

I'd want this as a nice bonus game.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-10-2020, 23:48.

Comment

Oh I remember that one!

It is interesting delving into a parallel universe where the DC existed into 2002 then beyond and was successful earlier to build players and how this would have altered a lot of things...having four major players in the console business was always tricky with one being dominant and harvesting much needed installed base from SEGA. There has been reams and reams of counterfactuals about SEGA over the years as well but it may have created a more balanced ecosystem with four players, SEGA, Nintendo, and SONY plus the emerging Microsoft making it even more competitive and interesting...

I liked the period in the 1990s where we had everybody in the transition from Cartridge to CD, NEC, 3D0, Atari, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, FM Towns, Phillips, Commodore, Apple, Sharp, and others...it was interesting...over ten home hardware manufacturers.

Gaming is just is not as exciting anymore, it went totally corporate with Nintendo being the last vestige of 1980s gaming left nearly, and part of that magic did actually die with the death of arcade conversions like Planet Harrier but the slow erosion of the arcade scene itself as everything was bypassed for the home console scene as they grew more dominant in power and the most potent weapon in SEGA's arsenal was finally eroded...

The Dreamcast was the last true arcade console and this fact is probably why it lives on in the memory of many... just like Sega World.

Hey there, Daisy-Fan here and i wanted to know first thing before starting these thing about the topic, if its something bases on sega games its on gaming section correct? if its OT then its possible to put this thread on the right spot? thanks if so! = ) Alright watch out for the terrible Englis...

Last edited by CAPCOM; 13-10-2020, 12:51.

Comment

The best thing about modern gaming is the standards, in general, are higher. So you don't get loads of truly bad games. Even a second rate modern game is a decent quality product.

Old school gaming culture was much more interesting and exciting. Part of that was down to gaming being a new medium, so you had rapid advancement with lots of creativity and innovation. Gaming culture will never be that lively and exhilarating again.

I think one of the reasons why so many people embrace retro gaming, is because they find old school game libraries more interesting, with plenty of games that have charm and gripping gameplay. The fact that everything in the world of gaming was so much different 20+ years ago, means you can go back to old hardware and games and not worry about comparing it to modern stuff.

But with something like a PS2 or PS3, you tend to think "These games are just uglier PS4 games", which takes away from the allure of going back. It's interesting that a lot of PS2 games that stand the test of time pretty well, are those that have old school sensibilities. The games that aimed for realism can feel obsolete; whereas the more abstract style games usually stand up well. The same with the Dreamcast and its library.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-10-2020, 06:14.

Comment

Mine you be

JSR
                  REZ
                  Code Veronica
                  Get Bass
                  D2
                  Pen Pen
                  SEGA Rally 2
                  HOTD II
                  RayMan 2
                  AITD IV
                  Shenmue 1/II
                  Virtua Tennis
                  Crazy Taxi
                  Sonic Adv
                  Ecco
                  Headhunter
                  Incoming
                  Red Dog
                  MSR
                  DOA 2
                  SOA
                  Grandia II
                  Space Channel 1/2
                  Blue Stinger
                  Under Defeat
                  Sakura Wars 3/4
                  Seaman
                  Maken X
                  F335

Bonus unlockables

Spikers Battle
                  Strike Fighter
                  MonkeyBall

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I think one of the reasons so many people embrace retro gaming, is because they find old school game libraries more interesting, with plenty of games that have charm and gripping gameplay. The fact that everything in the world of gaming was so much different 20+ years ago, means you can go back to old hardware and games and not worry about comparing it to modern stuff.

But with something like a PS2 or PS3, you tend to think "These games are just uglier PS4 games", which takes away from the allure of going back. It's interesting that a lot of PS2 games that stand the test of time pretty well are those that have old school sensibilities. The games that aimed for realism can feel obsolete. Whereas the more abstract style games usually stand up well. The same with the Dreamcast and its library.
                    Yeah I totally agree with this especially the last paragraph. Generational change is now non-existent to the naked eye. With no major leaps in technology or formats like the rapidly shifting 1980s and 1990s the last twenty years have been a return in greater graphic and sound fluidity in pursuit of realism and an always-on online functionality...

Then again we had XBAND in the 1990s. Great documentary and running time is over an hour.

Cannot recommend this channel enough. His recent Goldeneye Retrospective was also really well done.

Which made me start to wonder if this title had come out in 1998 or 1999 as a Dreamcast launch title, giving the developers extra time with greater graphics and 4 player support plus online play... it's one of those great what-ifs. Kickstarting the console FPS revolution on 128-bit hardware years ahead of Halo.

Great little documentary and insights on Martin Hollis plus its development at Rare at the time. I keep forgetting they just crammed the multiplayer in with literally months left and did not even tell Nintendo.
                    Last edited by CAPCOM; 13-10-2020, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      MonkeyBall
                      Seeing it was running on the NAOMI board, it's a shame we didn't get a Dreamcast port. It does seem like Sega did plan the port but changed their mind when they realised the Dreamcast was finished.

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                      Which made me start to wonder if this title had come out in 1998 or 1999 as a Dreamcast launch title, giving the developers extra time with greater graphics and 4 player support plus online play... it's one of those great what-ifs. Kickstarting the console FPS revolution on 128-bit hardware years ahead of Halo.
                      Yeah, GoldenEye would have really benefited from running on the Dreamcast hardware. What RARE achieved with the N64 was impressive, so imagine what the dev could have done with Dreamcast tech.

Comment

Seeing it was running on the NAOMI board, it's a shame we didn't get a Dreamcast port. It does seem like Sega did plan the port but changed their mind when they realised the Dreamcast was finished.
                        It was all but finished, before Nagoshi-san took it to the Cube . I was upset he never brought any of Spike Out games that were running on the NA@MI boards to the DC either

Comment

I had always assumed that Monkey Ball and Gun Valkyrie were both going to be on the DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            It was all but finished, before Nagoshi-san took it to the Cube . I was upset he never brought any of Spike Out games that were running on the NA@MI boards to the DC either
                            Scud Race should have been released in '99 -- and then other coin-op ports like Spike/Slash Out games. I guess Sega knew the Dreamcast had flopped by 2000, so they cut back on potential releases. We would have probably got a lot more NAOMI ports had the Dreamcast been successful.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Gun Valkyrie

I'm not sure if much development had been done on the Dreamcast version. The footage shown does look impressive though.

Comment

Working...
                            X