Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're the boss! What games you putting on the Dreamcast Mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're the boss! What games you putting on the Dreamcast Mini?

I don't know how many such a mini would have. The Megadrive had a vast library, you could quite easily choose 40 games for that. 20 - 30 for DC maybe? Make it a Japanese version too.

I'm interested to see what you guys pick.

TBH the Dreamcast had quite a small library, so I'd expect this is easier than most platforms.

Wikipedia says it had ~600 games, but that breaks down quite a bit (like, if there are 5 baseball games, you wouldn't feature all 5). Plus, most of the best games are Sega first-party.

Comment

I've only tinkered with DC, but I first properly played it at a retro game show and was wowed by shooters like Trizeal and Ikaruga and had my socks knocked off by Zero Gunner 2.

I've played a few others like Shenmue and Deadly Skies, but I'll be honest, I really think it's lacking by not having a second analogue stick to control the camera.

So cram it with shooters and a few DC-only classics, but I've found a Switch and Flip Grip has become the home for shmups these days.

Comment

I loved the DC but if someone wanted they could emulate a lot of the arcade versions.

I'll pick a few randomly will forget loads

Bangai O
        Tech Romancer
        Dynamite Cop
        Soul Calibur
        Jet set radio good at the time great design can't play it now
        Maybe Border down
        Sports Jam.. Wicked game
        Zero gunner
        King of fighters 2000 for me
        Typing of the dead!
        Last edited by monel; 12-10-2020, 10:24.

Comment

If we could have light guns I would probably swap a couple out, but I would go for:
          1. Ikaruga
          2. Jet Set Radio
          3. Rez
          4. Cosmic Smash
          5. Powerstone 2
          6. Space Channel 5
          7. Grandia 2
          8. Daytona USA 2001
          9. Virtual Tennis 2
          10. Marvel vs Capcom 2
          11. Crazy Taxi
          12. Soul Caliber
          13. Metropolis Street Racer
          14. Sonic Adventure 2
          15. Bangai-O
          16. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
          17. Mars Matrix
          18. Cannon Spike
          19. Outtrigger
          20. Sports Jam
          21. Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
          22. Sega Rally 2
          23. Radirgy
          24. Zero Gunner 2
          25. Toy Commander
          26. Capcom vs SNK 2
          27. Skies of Arcadia
          28. Shenmue
          29. Border Down
          30. Under Defeat

Comment

Wow did you find it easy to pick 30 then? Still missing some amazing shmups and 18 Wheeler!

Comment

I love those chonky PS2 and DC graphics, though.

Comment

Not necessarily my favourites, but a good representation of Sega classics and varied genres.

Both Shenmues.
                Skies Of Arcadia.
                Jet Set Radio.
                Space Channel 5 (part two only, maybe?).
                Sonic Adventure.
                Virtua Tennis (part 2 probably)
                Virtua Fighter 3tb
                Chu Chu Rocket

If they can swing some other publishers games:
                Powerstone
                Le Mans 24hrs (Melbourne House version)
                Grandia II
                Soul Calibur
                Wetrix

Comment

Tokyo racers!!!!

Comment

Tony Danza? Bionic Arms.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                      Wow did you find it easy to pick 30 then? Still missing some amazing shmups and 18 Wheeler!
                      Haha, I thought about 18 Wheeler. Yes missing loads of good shooters: Triggerheart Exelica, Castle Shikigami 2, Gunbird 2, Chaos Field, the Gigawings to name a few!!

Comment

Thinking of this solely from the point of view of being the boss...

Games published by Sega
                        Shenmue: I'd put this on as it's a love/hate game, but it is a key DC title. Also since they did that HD port, somebody has already done the groundwork to remove some of the minor licensing things so it wouldn't take a great deal of effort to get across.
                        Shenmue 2: It seems a bit self-indulgent to put the sequel on as well, but from a PR point of view it makes some sense - you can advertise to all these Americans that they can finally play the "real" Dreamcast version instead of the occasionally wonky Xbox port.
                        Rez: It's another easy choice and looks very nice.
                        Skies of Arcadia: Need an RPG and this one is well-liked. Makes complete sense for it to be on here really!
                        Jet Set Radio: It's a cult game, but the fanbase is quite rabid and it does look great. There's already a port on sale and it loses a handful of songs from the original, but it's still basically all there.
                        Sonic Adventure: I reckon this one shows its age and I never liked it that much to be honest. But a lot of people love it, it has good VMU features and it'd be very strange not to include at least one Sonic title.
                        Virtua Fighter 3tb: A lot of people aren't too keen on this one, but a lot of folks love it and it's an easily recognisable Sega series so it's daft not to put it on.
                        Daytona USA 2001: Likewise, this one is a bit "er not sure" but it's a Sega system and you can put Daytona on the box. Wasn't this alright if you changed the controller sensitivity?
                        Cosmic Smash: I'd have preferred Virtua Tennis, but this is a unique title, has a nice timeless look and isn't full of real people who will need talking to and negotiating with.
                        ChuChu Rocket: Don't know why people love this so much, but they clearly do.
                        Sports Jam: Easy to pick up and play and one of the better-looking NAOMI games. Lots of variety and also it is a little bit overlooked, so that's a nice one to get on there.
                        Dynamite Cop: It's a nice breezy arcade game and daft as hell, get it on there.
                        Puyo Puyo Fever: Everyone likes at least one falling block puzzle game.
                        Segagaga: This would be the fanservice trick I'd keep up my sleeve until near release. A fully official English port of this. People would get the system just for it. Is it any good? I don't know. But they probably would.

Third-Party Games
                        Power Stone 2: If all the controller ports work it would be an opportunity to have a proper four-player game that is very pick-up-and-play. Sega already seem to have a good relationship with Capcom as they put their games on the MD Mini, so this one should be a doddle to get.
                        Street Fighter Alpha 3: Another Capcom one, people are going to want at least one solid 2D fighter and this is generally considered one of the best and isn't full of problematic licensing from SNK or Marvel.
                        Soul Calibur: Hugely popular and quite a looker too with the 480p mode. Sega have had a working relationship with Bandai Namco for some time, so it's probably not too difficult.
                        Ikaruga: Treasure aren't likely to be difficult about giving this one up and it's a cult favourite shooter (personally not my favourite but it makes a lot of sense to put it on).
                        Dead or Alive 2: Presuming it wouldn't be too much hassle to get this one from Tecmo, it's easy money for them.
                        Grandia II: It's considered the best version of the game back in the day and I think you'd be able to get it from UbiSoft without that much grief given that there's been a recent remaster version of it.

That's my entire 20 (I reckon that would be enough for this kind of thing). As a bonus...

Things I Wouldn't Put On:
                        Crazy Taxi (and 2): I already know from the later ports that the soundtrack licensing is a huge issue and not having the original soundtrack upsets people so much that I'd just leave it off unless there could be some kind of breakthrough. I would spend a lot of time trying to see if I could get it though.
                        Virtua Tennis (and 2): They put real people in the game. Given that they did a later version of Virtua Tennis for mobile with non-real players I suspect that's an issue and I think people would grumble too much if you just changed them all to fake ones.
                        Space Channel 5 (and Part 2): The problem of what to do with "Space Michael" (if anything) could overshadow the entire console with Internet whinging. From a PR point of view, best just to forget it.
                        Sega Rally 2: It's a decent game but it's an early one and the slowdown is a bit of an issue. Could be licensing issues with the cars...
                        MSR: Severe vehicle licensing issues and truthfully I think people would think it's a bit of a slog nowadays, I can put up with old-fashioned "realistic" driving games but most can't.
                        Last Blade 2/Fatal Fury: MOTW/King of Fighters: I think the licensing could be a major problem as the ports were by the defunct SNK Playmore.
                        F355 Challenge: Ferrari licensing? No chance.
                        Phantasy Star Online: I'm assuming the mini console wouldn't have any kind of online component and it was something that ran off servers.
                        Headhunter: It looks a bit naff and clunky nowadays I think.
                        Tokyo Bus Guide: I'd love to put this on as a bit of a wacky choice, but I don't think the original publisher is even still in business and it's unclear who'd have the rights.
                        Seaman: There's no way Sega are going to let you make a microphone peripheral.
                        San Francisco Rush 2049: This is a superb game, but who owns the rights nowadays after Midway died? Could be a nightmare to get this one.
                        Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Highway Challenge 1/2: I think it's only me and Vanpeebles who like them.
                        Sega Bass Fishing/Sambo De Amigo/Typing of the Dead/Any lightgun shooter: People are going to complain if you don't have the peripheral and in some cases it's completely game-breaking.

Comment

I would really hope if they did this, and had Power Stone 2, they'd also have the first game... But I suspect they wouldn't.

Most people believe the second game is superior and, overall, it probably is. It's great fun in 4-player. But the first game is a bit less chaotic and a bit more skillful, so much so that they feel like very different games. I love them both.

Comment

I prefer the first to be honest, but from a business point of view I'd want the second one just so people might feel they have a legitimate reason to buy three extra pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Highway Challenge 1/2: I think it's only me and Vanpeebles who like them.
                              I too would like this, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X