• Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 156: Warhawk

History in Games:
    1995 - Warhawk
    2007 - Warhawk
    2012 - Starhawk

Overview:

Starting life as an early title for the original Playstation, the first game focused on aerial combat using a 360 degree movement VTOL. The game took place over six levels of enemy combat action but little became of this title until two generations later when Sony revisited the property with an online focused reboot. Over five maps and with several vehicle and turret options players would be set against one another in one of the PS3's earliest online titles. The game launched with a budget price on PSN but an inflated full price on disc despite offering little incentive extra to choose that path, coupled with launch issues the game never peaked as it should but none the less led a beloved life for several years leading Sony to work on a successor with a single player component. Starhawk aimed to expand the concept further with its new setting but despite solid reviews it failed to gain traction with players who weren't keen on the single player aspect and as such the multiplayer also failed to take hold leading the middle Warhawk game to be the series overall peak.

Were you a veteran of the air back in the day?

Wor Hawk? That like a Geordie version of Kes?

Comment

Ah, Starhawk, member of Sony's now-oft-forgotten subseries which included MAG and SoCOM, where they were so desperate to get PSN off the ground. All great games, all pretty much failures because the platform just wasn't mature enough.

It's a shame, really. Starhawk and MAG in particular were wonderful.

Comment

I remember the hype around Star Hawk, places saying it would be a game changer. It wasn’t a game changer, it was ok, but I was so disappointed when I finally played it.

Comment

I don't have any experience of the original PS1 game but the PS3 Warhawk was the original online defining moment for me.

Online gaming was never of interest pre-PS3 to me and even to this day I enjoy it but it pales next to a solid single player effort. Like for many, Modern Warfare would become a key moment in first hooking me but the honour of being the first game to do so was Warhawk. I forgot how small in content it was but it was a great little game with just enough strategic element to keep you hooked. It never received the support it deserved so news of a sequel felt great. Starhawk though, words can't express how much of a disappointment that game was.

Comment

Working...
          X