Retro Rumble: Round 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Ahhh.. the memories of Kriss Kross and Marky Mark.
    I enjoyed Kriss Kross it was quite an original take for its time. To give SEGA America a lot of credit they created a lot of hype for the SEGA CD and did support it with some fine games and even ones that looked to make incredible use of the Hardware like with the 3D sections to Batman Returns. Sadly they got a little too caught up with the FMV fad

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Hardware like with the 3D sections to Batman Returns.
      They should have made the whole game a racer; Chase HQ with a Batman, Gotham theme. That could have been brilliant.

Sadly they got a little too caught up with the FMV fad
      I can see why the focus was on FMV at the time, because it was something new that impressed people. I soon realised -- like many people did -- that FMV wasn't the future of gaming. Batman Returns, Battlecorps and Soulstar were much more impressive, and actually fun to play.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-10-2020, 16:25.

Comment

Sonic the Hedgehog: 7 votes
        Yoshi's Island: 7 votes
        Star Fox: 6 votes
        Contra: Hard Corps: 2 vote
        Stunt Race FX: 1 vote
        Killer Instinct: 1 vote

Sonic and Yoshi are the people's choice.

Comment

Potentially controversial question: do you think Contra III would have fared better in this poll despite it being inferior to Hard Corps?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Potentially controversial question: do you think Contra III would have fared better in this poll despite it being inferior to Hard Corps?
            I prefer Contra 3. Hard Corps is also great -- and I can appreciate why some people prefer it. There's just something about the slick graphics and incredible soundtrack in Contra 3 that appeals to me even more.

Anyway, all can say with regard to whether Contra 3 might have fared better in this poll, is I personally would have chosen it over Yoshi's Island. It's one of my most played games over the years, because it's so exhilarating and pick-up-and-play. Contra 3 will appear in a future Rumble, so we'll see how it fares against the games I pit it against.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-10-2020, 10:20.

Comment

It looks inferior but Contra III plays better for me and its music also adds so much to the game and goes perfect with the action. Hard Corps for me is just too frantic and too hard, to be much fun. Very much like Adv Of Batman & Robin on the MD.

Comment

I can see why the focus was on FMV at the time, because it was something new that impressed people. I soon realised -- like many people did -- that FMV wasn't the future of gaming. Batman Returns, Battlecorps and Soulstar were much more impressive, and actually fun to play.
                People will laugh about them now, but the 1st time you saw Road Adv or Night Trap on the Mega CD it was impressive. Sadly, SOA just got a little caught up with the hype and couldn't see it was just a fad, very much like MS with Kinect

I enjoyed quite a lot of FMV games back inthe day mind even on the PC with stuff like Ripper, Gabriel Knight 2

Comment

Contra III > Hard Corps any day. Not saying HC is bad mind you...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

But I bjectively it’s better: more characters, more weapons, branching paths, no dodgy overhead bits.

I’m convinced rose-tintedness affects how we perceive certain games. Contra 3 was a big franchise on Nintendo platforms therefore many SNES owners would have experienced it back in the day. Hard Corps on the other hand was a title that would have passed many Mega Drive owners by, perhaps being seen as a “Nintendo” franchise and also due to it being released later in the console’s life. I can say for a fact I never played it back then, and none of the kids at my school ever offered it as a loaner swapsy so I can only surmise none of them owned it either. It was all about Gunstar Heroes for us lot.

My point is: many will have played Contra 3 at the time of release and therefore have fond memories of it, an emotionally attachment if you will, but Hard Corps? I’d be surprised if anyone gave it as much love.

Comment

People will laugh about them now, but the 1st time you saw Road Adv or Night Trap on the Mega CD it was impressive.
                      Yeah, Night Trap was pretty impressive. Road Avenger really appealed to me because of the anime style. There were a few decent FMV games, but it's not a genre that I've gone back to.

My point is: many will have played Contra 3 at the time of release and therefore have fond memories of it, an emotionally attachment if you will, but Hard Corps? I’d be surprised if anyone gave it as much love.
                      If Hard Corps had been released before Contra 3, I think it would probably have a stronger recognition as a great game. It's probably the same for Bloodlines, which was also a '94 release.

As much as Hard Corps is a more substantial game, Contra 3 also has qualities that make it really satisfying to play through. Maybe nostalgia plays a part in why some people prefer the SNES game, but it doesn't take away from how special the game is. I'd personally say both are 5 star games. I'm more than happy to play either.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-10-2020, 10:15.

Comment

Yeah, Night Trap was pretty impressive. Road Avenger really appealed to me, because of the anime style. There were a few decent FMV games, but it's not a genre that I've gone back to.:
                        I still go back to Road Adv and Cobra Command quite a lot. I also quite enjoy playing Ground Zero Texas now and again LOL

If Hard Corps had been released before Contra 3, I think it would probably have a stronger recognition as a great game. It's probably the same for Bloodlines, which was also a '94 release
                        That's a great point actually

Comment

I still go back to Road Adv and Cobra Command quite a lot. I also quite enjoy playing Ground Zero Texas now and again LOL
                          You're sort of making me feel like playing some FMV games.

That's a great point actually
                          Yeah, imagine if Hard Corps had been released in 1991.

When you look at the most talked about Mega Drive games, a lot of them are from the early 16-bit era[88-92] when there was an incredible amount of buzz surrounding 16-bit gaming. By 1994, as much as there was still lots of interest and plenty of good games being released, the mood in gaming was to look to the future. The future being CD-ROM and advanced 3D etc...

We can look at other top quality 16-bit games that were released between 94-96 and assume they might have been even more appreciated if they had been released during the early to mid years of 16-bit console gaming.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-10-2020, 14:32.

Comment

Yeah, imagine if Hard Corps had been released in 1991.
                            Yeah it's a great point, we all would have gone nuts over it

You're sort of making me feel like playing some FMV games
                            Some of a nice way of reliving a bygone era Games like Road Adv are just pick up and play and instant fun and action, plus Slipheed is still great fun

Comment

plus Slipheed is still great fun
                              It's always been my favourite FMV style game. I wish they had made a souped up version for the 3DO. I had Starblade , but it's not as fun.

Comment

It's always been my favourite FMV style game. I wish they had made a souped up version for the 3DO. I had Starblade , but it's not as fun.
                                I quite enjoyed Burning Soldier on the 3DO. Novastorm was also good on the 3DO (The Mega-CD version a bit crap)

Comment

Working...
                                X