Critics Club III: The Greatest Film of 2005 Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: The Greatest Film of 2005 Part One

Halfway through the penultimate decade now as edge our way closer and closer to the films that colour todays popular franchises in in...

The Greatest Film of 2005 Part One

Which of the above films sit atop the pile of 2005?
    White Noise
    0%
    Coach Carter
    0%
    Elektra
    0%
    Racing Stripes
    0%
    Assault on Precinct 13
    0%
    Are We There Yet?
    0%
    Alone in the Dark
    0%
    Hide and Seek
    0%
    Boogeyman
    0%
    The Wedding Date
    0%
    Hitch
    0%
    Constantine
    0%
    Son of the Mask
    0%
    Cursed
    0%
    Man of the House
    0%
    Be Cool
    0%
    The Jacket
    0%
    The Pacifier
    0%
    Buffalo Dreams
    0%
    Hostage
    0%
    Robots
    0%
    Ice Princess
    0%
    The Ring 2
    0%
    Miss Congeniality 2
    0%
    Guess Who
    0%
    Valiant
    0%
    Beauty Shop
    0%
    Sin City
    0%
    Fever Pitch
    0%
    Sahara
    0%
    The Amytiville Horror
    0%
    The Interpreter
    0%
    A Lot to Love
    0%
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    0%
    xXx: State of the Union
    0%
    House of Wax
    0%
    Kingdom of Heaven
    0%
    Mindhunters
    0%
    Monster-in-Law
    0%
    Unleashed
    0%
    Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    0%
    Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
    0%
    The Longest Yard
    0%
    Madagascar
    0%
    The Sisterhood of Travelling Pants
    0%
    Cinderella Man
    0%
    The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse
    0%
    Lords of Dogtown
    0%
    The Honeymooners
    0%
    Mr and Mrs Smith
    0%
    Batman Begins
    0%
    The Perfect Man
    0%
    Herbie: Fully Loaded
    0%
    Bewitched
    0%
    Land of the Dead
    0%
    War of the Worlds
    0%
    Rebound
    0%
    Dark Water
    0%
    Fantastic Four
    0%
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    0%

I'm starting to think I really overdid things in the 2000s. These last few polls, not many films I've even heard of, let alone watched.

As for this list, there's nothing I've seen that I'd want to watch again, and of the others I know about there's nothing I've not seen that I'd want to watch.

Comment

Batman Begins, this one's very easy for me. The best film in the poll and the best of its trilogy

Comment

Sin City is brilliant. I don't think any other film feels like the source material come to life on the screen ... with maximum attitude and sleaze too. Batman Begins is my fave in Nolan's trilogy as well.

Comment

Sin City is the only one I highlighted, though in retrospect, Batman Begins gets a look-in.

Lotta crap there. Crap remakes, poor adaptations and sequels no-one wanted. Also Sahara, which I once read was an enormously expensive movie (on par with the entire LOTR trilogy) for reasons that obviously made sense to someone but not to anyone else.

Comment

Batman.

Comment

There's a lot of mediocre in that list, blimey!

Voted for:
              Sin City - Such a visual treat and gift for fans of the comic.
              Madagascar - I genuinely do like to move it move it, thank you for asking.
              Batman Begins - I think Ledger's tragic death shines more light than necessary on the sequel, but I thought this straddled the real world and comic. After this, the gothic Gotham was replaced with realistic locations.
              War of the Worlds - I'd been meaning to rewatch this for ages and caught it on the BBC iPlayer a month or so back and it totally holds up to a rewatch. That sequence with the tripods appearing is an absolute spectacle of cinema and a total thrill. It loses momentum in the final 3rd, but that's in the book and something Spielberg sometimes falls into. The recent Sky and BBC adaptations have proven how tricky it is to successfully adapt the classic to the screen.
              I think this is probably my top choice.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was poor. I hated what Depp did with the character and Burton's unnecessary gothic horror. Songs are okay, but they're not a patch on the original, which I can still sing bits of, unlike the remake.

Recently saw Constantine and it was pretty good, but not quite there.

Land of the Dead was fine, but such a step back from Day of the Dead.

Assault on Precinct 13 was watchable, but lacked the dread of the original. And the soundtrack.

The rest I've either not seen or are so unremarkable, it's not worth remarking about them.
              Last edited by QualityChimp; 20-10-2020, 09:00.

Comment

^^^ great shout on War of the Worlds QC ^^^ The tripods are super menacing and that nuclear foghorn sound is genuinely terrifying. I saw it on my honeymoon in Paris, who says romance is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  ^^^ great shout on War of the Worlds QC ^^^ The tripods are super menacing and that nuclear foghorn sound is genuinely terrifying. I saw it on my honeymoon in Paris, who says romance is dead?
                  So romantic!

That whole section where he's running back to the house is immense and his daughter asks what he's covered in and realises it's the ash of the vaporised people is incredible.

There are other great moments too, like the net/grenade scene and the ferry attack:

Aside from the bombast, there are other great scenes of tension, like the one where Cruise fights with Tim Robbins' character and the two of them are trying to be quiet as they struggle to avoid alerting the Martian camera.
                  'War of the Worlds' and Spielberg's Mastery of Tension
                  A breakdown of one of Spielberg's most exhilarating sequences, and why it deserves to be considered one of his best.

Comment

I still haven't seen War of the Worlds. At the time, I found it very hard to separate Cruise's characters from his public persona so just disengaged with his movies. I'd probably get more out of it now.

But for me, there's not much to choose from on this list. I like Batman Begins but I'm not sure it should be a best of anything movie.

Comment

Love Sin City, Batman. The best Bale Batman, as is true for the Star Wars prequel Trilogy, Liam Neeson rocks.

Yeah I voted for Sahara - come at me haters!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I still haven't seen War of the Worlds. At the time, I found it very hard to separate Cruise's characters from his public persona so just disengaged with his movies. I'd probably get more out of it now.
                        You're doing my nut in with your refusal to watch great films because of the actor.

Cruise is a dick in this. He can barely look after himself, let alone his kids. He just does his best to try to keep them alive. He doesn't save the world using an iMac and stolen spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          You're doing my nut in with your refusal to watch great films because of the actor.
                          But that's just it! There are some actors where I can't see the character they play, I just see the actor. So it totally ruins any immersion. But I think I've got over my Cruise issues over the years. Still can't watch Crazy Mel Gibson unless he's young enough that he looks like a different person - Mel in Mad Max is Mad Max, Mel in Beyond Thunderdome is Crazy Mel Gibson.

Comment

I genuinely think you would get so much from The Truman Show. It's a crime you won't watch it. He plays a very different role to The Mask or Ace Ventura.

I know Cruise has a tendency to make a film feel like Cruise in Space or Cruise the Spy, but in this, he's an everyman and just a narrative tool to show the effects of the Martian attack.

Comment

Can't believe you just reminded me of The Mask. You just set me back years. YEARS!

Comment

Working...
                              X