Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 15

Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Contra III
    Donkey Kong Country
    Doom
    Rondo of Blood
    Sonic 2

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.

Now that's a selection!

DOOM is 1st. It's a step above everything else when everything else includes some some absolute bangers. In fact, I need to jump back in and play through John Romero's SIGIL -

Sonic 2 is next. Platforming feels so good here. Everything just comes together perfectly.

DKC is third. I still adore the graphics, music and levels.
    Last edited by Cepp; 26-10-2020, 18:58. Reason: typos from using mobile.

Comment

Wow, that is some list.

Sonic 2 - The best Sonic game ever made in my opinion. I have extremely fond memories of this one and still play it fairly often.
      DK Country - The game that inspired me to get a SNES back in 2009 when I realised I could buy old stuff off eBay. Gets a lot of criticism, but I think it’s excellent.
      Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - My personal favourite Castlevania. The soundtrack is epic, the gameplay is epic. In fact it’s so good it pushed Doom out of the top 3 here for me.

Comment

Donkey Kong Country
        Sonic the Hedgehog 2
        Doom

Sonic 2 is great, it also suffers from the themes etc being over used by Sonic Team but this is the OG for most of that so it doesn't get deducted for that. DKC is always a list maker. Never been that bothered by either Contra of Vania's so easy to pass them over

Comment

1. DOOM. I came quite late to this, eventually playing it on the 32X, and what a game! So much fun to play. Levels never dull, repetitive or frustrating.

2. Contra. My first import game I think. Remember picking up the US ver and a bridge adapter. Great fun and a great audio visual showcase for the new console too. Never finished though

That's it ... not really fussed on any of the others.

Comment

Contra 3 - This game on its launch looked and sounded more impressive than most Arcade games. Never forget this time you saw that plane swop in or the overhead sections

Sonic 2 If only for the amazing Chemical zone

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              . In fact, I need to jump back in and play through John Roneras SIGIL -
              I didn't know about this, but I'd like to play the new stuff.

I downloaded Doom 1 & 2 for my Xbox One a few months ago and they're still great games.

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post

Sonic 2 - The best Sonic game ever made in my opinion. I have extremely fond memories of this one and still play it fairly often.
              Yeah, I think it's the most solid game in the series. Everything about it is top notch.

DK Country - The game that inspired me to get a SNES back in 2009 when I realised I could buy old stuff off eBay. Gets a lot of criticism, but I think it’s excellent.
              You were only 15 years late to the party.

Some people don't like it much, but I think most people who played it back in the day would have appreciated how well crafted it is. I don't compare it to classic Nintendo platformers such as Mario World, but just appreciate what it brings to the table. The graphics are really nice, the soundtrack is excellent, and it plays smoothly. I think it's a really charming, fun game.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - My personal favourite Castlevania. The soundtrack is epic, the gameplay is epic. In fact it’s so good it pushed Doom out of the top 3 here for me.
              As much as I like Doom, I've gone back to Rondo of Blood far more often. It's such a satisfying game to play through.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              2. Contra. . Great fun and a great audio visual showcase for the new console too. Never finished though
              Yeah, the graphics look really nice, and the music is epic! It never gets old.

The Japanese version is easier: 30 lives cheat and infinite continues.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              Contra 3 - Never forget this time you saw that plane swop in or the overhead sections
              I still feel impressed when the plane swoops in and the flames appear. I also think the overhead sections are cool, even if they're pretty basic to play.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-10-2020, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I still feel impressed when the plane swoops in and the flames appear. basic to play.
                It was the sound effect that was used for the plane swoop and bomb drops. It was so amazing the 1st time you heard and saw it

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  It was so amazing the 1st time you heard and saw it
                  Yeah, it was so dramatic. Made my tv rumble. The music is incredible through a decent hi-fi.

I have a modern reprint of this poster in my collection.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-10-2020, 16:51.

Comment

Do you have this Leon?

Comment

This is also worth a look...

Comment

Contra III
                        Donkey Kong Country
                        Doom

That'll do nicely.

Comment

No way Castlevania, Contra and more Castlevania...only on PC ENGINE CD. Donkey Kong as an antidote though I agree...Doom for those stuck in some FPS frenzy I am afraid...

TRIPLE Konami on this one!

Last edited by CAPCOM; 26-10-2020, 17:43.

Comment

Haha, I played DK country briefly on my mates SNES back in the day, but I found it way too hard back then. My mate would cruise through the levels, whereas anything harder than the first few I was stuffed. When it was time to buy everything I could get my grubby little hands on I remembered it and wanted to try it again. I enjoyed it far more in 2009 than I did in 199x.

Comment

Unfair sticking Bloodlines in the same poll as the best CV game of all time, Rondo. And shame on all of those who did not include Rondo in their top three. You lot mental or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X