• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 158: Rollcage

History in Games:
    1999 - Rollcage
    2000 - Rollcage Stage II

Overview:
    A legacy far outlasting the lifespan of the series itself, Rollcage entered the market as another contender for 32-bit futuristic racer crown bearer. The signature gameplay element being that the vehicles are capable of racing whichever side up they are facing allowing for the use of flipping the vehicle to take advantage of the course layouts and to recover and keep on racing when attacked by rival weapons. Stage II though failed to have the impact of the first game, proving too iterative and too soon after the original to draw the same crowd back however it was one of the first games released to utilise bump mapping giving it a notable feature.

Where you fan of Rollcage or even its spiritual successors?

Rollcage for me is interesting in that I think the first game was a superb idea but, all things considered, a bit of an underachiever and that caused it to get buried. It's very basic and it feels basic while playing. And yet the idea is great and I feel my memory of it improves on the actual experience, if you know what I mean. But I felt Stage II delivered on the promise in a far stronger way. But by that stage, Wipeout was very clearly top dog and it got lost in the crowd. I didn't actually play Stage II until many years after it came out and I still don't own it (and I don't think the games ever hit PSN?) but it's a good game.

I bought GRIP which is very much just a modern Rollcage clone. I think it's actually really great but performance on the Switch is pretty dire which sucks a lot of the fun from it. It's a smeary mess. A real shame as it does seem great. I'd be curious to know if those on better systems enjoy it.

Comment

GRIP is very impressive for sure. I really liked Rollcage at the time but always found it very twitchy and difficult to control.

Comment

I had Rollcage on PC BITD in all it's 3d card accelerated goodness. It was good fun in a just one more good arcade racer style. Didn't even realise there was a follow up.

Comment

I remember liking the first game and thinking it was impressive. Then a while after the PS1 era, I played the sequel and liked the extra polish. I go back to the second game now and then and enjoy it.

This was was also made by ATD, but was a late release[2002] and only available across Europe.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-10-2020, 01:40.

Comment

Rollgage 2 is one of the most impressive PS games ever. That game looked incredible at the time and run like a dream

Comment

Working...
            X