Mobile Phone Thread S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonny View Post
    I used to say this but I've recently got a Poco F3 which is 6.67" and basically I got used to it after a matter of hours and can no longer go back to "small" phones. So whilst I'm really happy with the Poco F3 right now (was only £230) I really think the Pixel 6 Pro has the looks and function to be the best handset out there this year... the iphone 13 just looks so boring in comparison, mate got one and was raving about it but it's honestly ugly.
    I'm clearly not against small phones if I have a Pixel 4 XL, but there's a limit. Not being to have some ability to use my phone one-handed in comfort gets irritating. I get that larger phones are popular but Phablets are just not for me.

Also, I'm personally not going to get carried away about the Pixel 6 / 6 Pro just yet. Very recent flagship Pixel hardware has been sub-par to say the least (See Pixel 4/4 XL and Pixel 5). Google have it all to do and even more to get anywhere near iPhone quality levels. To be honest, they shouldn't even be trying to aim for iPhone market share - that isn't a battle they'll be winning anytime soon. The Pixel needs to be consistently competitive with other Android OEMs (OnePlus, Samsung, Sony, etc.) first before even thinking about trying to compete with Apple.

Sure, the iPhone 13 series is boring in comparison to what we've seen from the iPhone 12 series and even to some extent the iPhone 11 series, but the quality of hardware in tandem with the way iOS has been polished to a true premium flagship level on all accounts is without question at this point IMO. For me, Pixel 6 & 6 Pro are really going to have to provide actual real-world proof that it can cut the mustard. Specs and promises on paper won't quite cut it this time. I dare say that the Pixel line might well be done for if the 6 & 6 Pro fail...

Comment

I'll be interested in the price of the Pixel 6 and Pro, but will probably wait for the 6a.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        I'll be interested in the price of the Pixel 6 and Pro, but will probably wait for the 6a.
        Part of me genuinely wonders if Google will continue with the "a" line of Pixel phones - the 5a was only released in North America (US-only, I believe?) and Japan.

But then again they've been the best-sellers in the Pixel line so it would admittedly be surprising if Google didn't make a "Pixel 6a".

Funnily enough, there are reports suggesting that the entry-level Pixel 6 (8GB RAM/128GB storage) might be initially priced at $850... it'll surely be DOA if that happens, no?

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure they'll keep the a series going either or I think if they do they'll strip it back further to keep a gap between the mainline models.

Agree the hardware has a lot to live up to given the past iterations but at least from initial impressions it looks great. Hopefully that equally means great build quality... Pricing will be everything here but I've a feeling it's the best phone google have made since the Pixel 2, which for me was the prettiest and most refined they'd made. I still have my black & white model of the Pixel 2 XL and apart from the screen it still holds up today.

Comment

Agree the hardware has a lot to live up to given the past iterations but at least from initial impressions it looks great. Hopefully that equally means great build quality... Pricing will be everything here but I've a feeling it's the best phone google have made since the Pixel 2, which for me was the prettiest and most refined they'd made. I still have my black & white model of the Pixel 2 XL and apart from the screen it still holds up today.
            I agree with you - Pixel 2 is the best Pixel phone Google have made to date IMO. I regret trading my Pixel 2 in to part-finance my 4 XL. I should've just replaced the battery and carried on until the Pixel 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              I agree with you - Pixel 2 is the best Pixel phone Google have made to date IMO. I regret trading my Pixel 2 in to part-finance my 4 XL. I should've just replaced the battery and carried on until the Pixel 5.
              My daughter threw mine down the stairs and shattered the screen into small pieces but it still actually works.

I'll probably get around to replacing it one day but the digitiser looks like it has gone as well so it's about £80-100 to repair and that's nearly the going rate for the phone these days.

That said I still love it and would find it useful as a backup handset.

Comment

As Tuesday's official reveal of Google Pixel 6 & 6 Pro draws ever closer, so too does more deliberately leaked promo material.

Comment

Australian TV is already showing adverts for Pixel 6, apparently.

$999AUD (£540/€639/$740USD) though? For the entry-level Pixel 6?? That can't be right... it'll be DOA down under, surely???

Comment

I dunno seems like a fair price going by the main competition pricing...?

Comment

I dunno seems like a fair price going by the main competition pricing...?
                      I don't think Google can justify selling phones at $1000 when their past hardware has been mediocre at best. Apple and Samsung have delivered better proven quality for far longer.

I feel like Google will be in for a shock if they try to push the 6 Pro with a four-figure RRP, IMO.

That said, the conversion rates look healthier (might explain why the Pixel 5 was finally killed off as the P6 looks priced along similar lines) and apparently Aussie taxes aren't accounted for, so we'll definitely find out on Tuesday.

Comment

I guess it all hinges on how that tensor chip stacks up to Apple/Samsung. I don't think Google should go over $999au either but it really depends on whether they're confident in the power, style and function of the device.

Let's be honest, Apple do this regularly with the iPhone which I think is $1349 for the base 13 model?

So comparably I can understand the pricing given this is a return to top tier specs.

Comment

I think $999 AUD is probably fine in terms of the pricing. That's ~£550. If it was £999, that would be too much, and I don't think the Pixel can compete at that price level (which really is the preserve of Apple and Samsung only).

Comment

Honestly it astonishes me people pick these phones up on release at full price...

Comment

Shocks me that people now think £600 is classed as “affordable price point”

Comment

A grade phone via CEX or wherever is my route forward from here on out, circa £150
                                It's just dead money beyond that at this point such is the meaningless level of progression between new models

Comment

Working...
                                X