No announcement yet.

Atomiswave Metal Slug 6 ported to Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoyed Samurai Spirits last night. Good fun and i love the graphical style of SNK Atomiswave games.

You know I never knew that the Atomiswave was the same hardware as the DC.

"in 2002, sega was on the verge of bankruptcy, they had to stop releasing Dreamcast
    but the contracts for the supply of chips were concluded and the Sega would have to pay a forfeit, so in the shortest possible time the Dreamcast was converted to Atomiswave.
    there was no time to create a new SDK, so the Katana SDK was taken in which the GDFS library was replaced with G1ROMFS, the Flashrom library was replaced with SramUtl, the Coin library was added
    the conversion was done in a very short time, the SDK did not even remove the debug text "Dreamcast", in other words, all these games work natively on the Dreamcast, all the magic of the transfer is to find and fix the above libraries, but this requires knowledge of the console hardware, SH4 assembler and good disassembler"
    Last edited by tokyochojin; 16-11-2020, 05:35.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
      Enjoyed Samurai Spirits last night. Good fun and i love the graphical style of SNK Atomiswave games.

You know I never knew that the Atomiswave was the same hardware as the DC.

"in 2002, sega was on the verge of bankruptcy, they had to stop releasing Dreamcast
      but the contracts for the supply of chips were concluded and the Sega would have to pay a forfeit, so in the shortest possible time the Dreamcast was converted to Atomiswave.
      there was no time to create a new SDK, so the Katana SDK was taken in which the GDFS library was replaced with G1ROMFS, the Flashrom library was replaced with SramUtl, the Coin library was added
      the conversion was done in a very short time, the SDK did not even remove the debug text "Dreamcast", in other words, all these games work natively on the Dreamcast, all the magic of the transfer is to find and fix the above libraries, but this requires knowledge of the console hardware, SH4 assembler and good disassembler"
      Yeah it’s got a dc like spec, but with more graphic memory

Comment

SmokeMonster has just done a brilliant new video on this very subject:

Comment

Here's some alternative links with tweaked versions (not had a chance to try any yet mind!) https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/c...miswave_ports/

Comment

The one you've been waiting for.

Comment

Supposedly bugging out quite a bit though. Fingers crossed it's fixable!

Comment

Yeah Dolphin Blue has a game breaking bug on stage 3, it stops spawning enemies and the level loops indefinitely. Damn shame too as it’s running perfect otherwise. Hopefully it gets a fix soon.

Comment

Hot on the heels of this, it seems ST-V ports to the Saturn may soon be a thing.

Have to suspect that the TerraOnion MODE is playing a large part in these efforts!

Comment

The Dolphin Blue conversion is now playable start to finish.

Comment

I remember when Sonic the Fighters as a home port was the dream. (Still awaiting SegaSonic the Hedgehog)

Interestingly still gets online matchups on PS3.

Dolphin Blue doesn't look so hot tbh. Also, I can't forgive Sammy for their hostile SEGA takeover (long story, SEGA and all the devstudio heads rejected Sammy, Sammy got pissed, backstabbed SEGA with CSK, then-parent company, Sammy CEO Satome Hajime make nasty comments about fircefully taking SEGA, once it happened, Mizuguchi Tets and Nakgawa Riki etc etc all bailed).

Comment

Working...
                      X