No announcement yet.

Dirt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt Podcast goes straight on mute here.

Played some multiplayer yesterday. Disappointing. Selecting race throws you straight into a random event with 3 or 4 other people maximum and I have no idea what the party games are as it wouldn't find any.

I feel like the fundamentals are there with this game but they've dropped the ball putting the pieces together to make it a progressive and rewarding experience.

Comment

The game on PC is a bugged PoS. Lost my career saves for no reason. Lucky I was able to recover via copying an archive save.

I mean, the grpahics are OK for PC, gameplay is boring after a while. It just has nothing to lift it above average.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
        The game on PC is a bugged PoS. Lost my career saves for no reason. Lucky I was able to recover via copying an archive save.

I mean, the grpahics are OK for PC, gameplay is boring after a while. It just has nothing to lift it above average.
        Entertained me for a few hours, but got boring very quickly. Bloody cheek for a full priced game.

Comment

Thankfully I got it for £28.

That's a 10 piece wicked variety bucket with extra large popcorn chicken including delivery cost. Which is what I had for dinner last night.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            I put a few more hours into this and I really don’t think it’s that good at all, infact I find it pretty boring. Granted it looks amazing at times, but it’s just event after event with a really basic career structure that’s seems to go on for ever with no clear goal in sight. This along with the waffle from the two ‘presenters’, repetitive audio tracks and soundbites and handling that seems the same for pretty much all classes of Vehicle. Most of the race tracks are uninspiring despite some really nice locations and they really missed an opportunity to put in more exciting jumps. Yes I know it’s more ‘arcade’, but I think dirt 2 played so much better and even the old ps2 game shox outclasses this in every way, but the graphics. It seems like an unfinished rushed product.
            Ouch, I was thinking of picking this up but maybe not now. Dirt Rally 2.0 sounds more my style.

Comment

If anybody is after this, Smyths are selling it on PS5/Series X £34.99

Comment

Reading all the negativity on here i was expecting this to be mediocre at best but i love it, i was getting major rallisport 2 vibes form ii love how arcadey it handles and i love the jostling of pack and some really cool locations and track design. Cant believe nobody has mentioned how cool the triggers and haptics are on the ps5, the resistance and feed back on different surfaces really adds another connection to your car.

I was pretty impressed at the upgrade path on ps5 too, I put in the disk and it just prompts you to download the ps5 upgrade and i had it installed and running in about 5 minutes.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 04-12-2020, 13:41.

Comment

By all accounts its a fun game with plenty of modes but it just sounds like one of those launch titles you'll be picking up dirt cheap (yep) in the post christmas wash up.

I mean, it's £30 now in most places and can be bought for around £15 on places like Eneba via VPN if you want to do that sort of thing. I'd be placing a bet it'll be in Game Pass for January.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    By all accounts its a fun game with plenty of modes but it just sounds like one of those launch titles you'll be picking up dirt cheap (yep) in the post christmas wash up.

I mean, it's £30 now in most places and can be bought for around £15 on places like Eneba via VPN if you want to do that sort of thing. I'd be placing a bet it'll be in Game Pass for January.
                    if you haven't played it i wouldn't be making assumptions and repeating ad infinitum what everyone else who hasn't played it is saying. I was on the fence but the course's so far have been fun and memorable with plenty of opportunity to chain drifts together and throw my car about. Controls and cars feel weighty and the haptics on PS5 add to the feeling that your connected to the track.

Looking back at what Ive tried recently to get an arcade fix id put it well above, Wreckfest, Onrush, Gravel, or any of the recent Needs for speeds, they all felt ok but had something missing. This takes me back to titles like rallisport 2 challenge, and Sega rally. Its big, bold, and brash and all about chucking cars around a track as fast as you can. I dont mind the over the top stuff i grew up with the ridge racer announcer shouting random stuff at me about how ace i was or Sega shouting stuff like GAME OVER YEAHHH!!! when you win a race???

Comment

I'm a few events off finishing the career mode and don't want it to end so I've bought the season pass. It's a lot of fun, mainly because there are loads and loads of amazing tracks.

However, I just find it really frustrating that they didn't put the effort in to creating a structured and rewarding career mode. I've blitzed through it on Hard without ever having to go back to earn enough medals or whatever to progress. Gymkhana and Pathfinder are great extras but it doesn't even show you your final time or score before spaffing you out to play another event.

There are loads of ways to change the look of your car and your gamer card thing to show off in multiplayer but multiplayer just chucks you into a random race with no time for more than a couple of others to join. Another mode that should be amazing but isn't.

And "Playgrounds" don't appeal at all personally. There's something a bit to gaudy about them. A poor mans trackmania.

This could be a classic racer if they'd put all the pieces together properly to give it some depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        if you haven't played it i wouldn't be making assumptions and repeating ad infinitum what everyone else who hasn't played it is saying. I was on the fence but the course's so far have been fun and memorable with plenty of opportunity to chain drifts together and throw my car about. Controls and cars feel weighty and the haptics on PS5 add to the feeling that your connected to the track.

Looking back at what Ive tried recently to get an arcade fix id put it well above, Wreckfest, Onrush, Gravel, or any of the recent Needs for speeds, they all felt ok but had something missing. This takes me back to titles like rallisport 2 challenge, and Sega rally. Its big, bold, and brash and all about chucking cars around a track as fast as you can. I dont mind the over the top stuff i grew up with the ridge racer announcer shouting random stuff at me about how ace i was or Sega shouting stuff like GAME OVER YEAHHH!!! when you win a race???
                        Yeah I haven't played it personally but I was chatting to my old next door neighbour in Sydney who is actually a reviewer/editor for IGN (and it seems the editor on their video review for this very game) and he was giving it major thumbs up for it's handling.

It sounds like my cup of tea to be fair but as I am watching the price of entry halve, plus knowing Cyberpunk is a week away I am inclined to wait and see what it's going for in the new year. I really like that it's got user created content in the Gymkhana type levels and 120fps mode but I can wait...

Comment

I bought this today for £35 in the sale with 23 minutes left. I was about to get Call of Duty but I can wait for that.

It’s wicked fun, and the graphics are great. It’s my first proper Xbox Series S game - everything else I’ve played is XBO stuff - and it shows.

I tried the South Africa stadium track at night; the cars behind were lighting up my arse and it was glorious.

I’m not so into the colour scheme, though. It looks a lot like FH4 with the music festival nonsense but that makes more sense in FH4 than here. It’s nice and arcadey, though, and it’s quick to get in and just start sliding about the place.

Lovely stuff

Comment

Totally arcadey, no pretence on being realistic, racing fun. If you want more Dirt Rally like handling, buy Dirt Rally (2.0 is currently £3 on CDKeys for PC).

Have had quite a lot of fun with this for a couple of hours - if I want something more serious then there are plenty of other sim racers in my library for that - sometimes I just want to grab a pad and not have to worry about adjusting rebound and tyre pressures - I just want to drive fast through muddy puddles.

Dirt 5 fulfils that aim very well indeed.

Thumbs up from me.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 24-12-2020, 16:15.

Comment

I was reading about a new Series X patch that essentially fixed all the issues digital foundry found in its comparison with PS5, including big improvements to the 120fps mode.

I may very well pick this up in the new year... Especially as it's price appears to be dropping to bargain levels now.

Comment

Working...
                              X