Dirt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt 5

I bought the EU PS4 Download today from Kinguin. I paid £43 and expected the standard version, I was very surprised to see it was the Amplified Edition (£73 on PSN).

It downloaded in about an hour and I am loving it. The graphics are wonderfully vibrant with great HDR. I'm not totally sure of the resolution but it looks 4k to me. Funnily enough the Graphics Preference is much smoother than the Performance option - terrible screen tearing.

There's tons of cars, loads of great tracks and gameplay variety aplenty. Buy if you enjoyed Sega Rally and Motorstorm!

Can't wait for this! Series X day 1 for me, it looks like a change of style to Codemasters usual serious sim racers. I think you nailed it saying it's a cross between Sega Rally and Motorstorm.

Are there any single rally events like in Dirt Rally?

Comment

Really? Looks like Dirt 4.

Comment

It might look a bit like it but they've removed that Sim Feeling, it's 100% an Arcade Racer now.

Comment

"Are there any single rally events like in Dirt Rally?"

Not seen any yet, mainly just played the Career mode so far.

This gets an free upgrade to PS5 by the way 👌

Comment

My copy has been dispatched by Shopto. Roll on Tuesday when I collect my Series X

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
              It might look a bit like it but they've removed that Sim Feeling, it's 100% an Arcade Racer now.
              Yeah, you are right. I'm playing on PC and played this then Dirt 4 straight after to compare and I found the handling in Dirt 4 less forgiving.

I know it's been held up as a Next Gen title but, honestly, it really doesn't look too different to Dirt 4.

Comment

Played an hour or two of this so far. Big Codemasters fan so have been really looking forward to it. After Dirt 3 I'd just about had my fill of the obnoxious Americanised presentation and was hoping Codemasters would go back to their Colin McRae rally roots (which were my favourite parts of Dirt), and they did. Dirt Rally 2 is probably the best (serious) rally game I've ever played, but I feel ready for a proper Dirt game again, especially as Dirt 4 felt like a rushed Dirt Rally Lite. Didn't enjoy that one at all.

So how is it? It's good. But I'm a bit underwhelmed. I wish the handling was more like Dirt Rally. This feels really loose and uninvolved. There's not much variety in the event types either. Bring back gymkhana! The game feels an awful lot like Forza Horizon, which is no bad thing I guess.

EDIT: Scrap that! It really opens up after a couple of hours and gymkhana is there! Very much enjoying it.
                Last edited by Super Monkey Balls; 08-11-2020, 17:23.

Comment

The fact that it is very arcadey endears it to me more so I have been working through the career mode.

One thing I noticed is that the contrast seems poor. I am playing on PC and it really is very dull in cloudy periods. Wondering if they did this to make HDR version pop more but for non-HDR peeps like me, it looks ****.

Comment

Anyone tried this on a standard PS4? Does it keep 60fps pretty well in performance mode? (I don't mind the odd bit of slow down, but I hate playing racing games at 30fps).

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      Anyone tried this on a standard PS4? Does it keep 60fps pretty well in performance mode? (I don't mind the odd bit of slow down, but I hate playing racing games at 30fps).
                      Standard PS4’s won’t usually give you ‘performance’ modes. You will need the pro for that.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        Standard PS4’s won’t usually give you ‘performance’ modes. You will need the pro for that.
                        I'm pretty sure this does and I've just found this video which suggests it seems to run at a (mostly) stable 60fps
                        0:00 - Intro0:05 - PS4 and PS4 vs PS4 Pro3:35 - PS4 Performance Comparison6:00 - PS4 Pro7:43 - PS4 Pro Performance Comparison9:13 - OutroGameplay recorded wi...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus Dirt 4? I enjoyed Dirt 3, but haven't played anything but Dirt Rally since.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                          Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus Dirt 4? I enjoyed Dirt 3, but haven't played anything but Dirt Rally since.
                          Unless you have a real yearning for a slightly more arcadey experience, I would pick up Dirt 4 (very cheap) and then wait for this to get very cheap.

In a blind play, I would struggle to say which was the newer game.

Comment

This is miles better than Dirt 4. Completely different type of game. It's a return to Dirt 2/3 but with a Forza Horizon vibe.

Looks great on Xbox One X. The lighting is particularly impressive as it uses the new system HDR calibration. No desire to put it in performance mode as it's plenty smooth. I only obsess over 60fps for track racers myself.

Comment

Nah, on PC ultra/ Very High both look as good as each other. Just the art style has changed. Can't comment on the HDR side of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X