No announcement yet.

What Do People Think Of The Evercade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure there's anything amazing about them. It's a typical single board computer with limited resources. The emulation is as you might expect for Raspberry Pi 2 or 3, but there's less ram on the board than you'd spec for yourself.
    The casing is of decent quality and the controllers are good enough unless you're more particular about these kind of things. I can't comment on the screen of the handheld because I have VS (the console version).

The software is good. The menus and scanline and aspect ratio options are easy to setup and look good, output of the VS is 1080p and looks sharp.

The games are a mixed bag, but they are good value - they have a small colour manual, the carts are uniquely printed and cost between 15 - 20 quid, which seems reasonable for me.

All in all, its a step up in quality for Blaze, in my view.

Edit: from my point of view it was a nice thing to ask for Xmas. The wife bought the VS for about 90 quid and as it comes with a couple of carts. My teenage daughter could afford to buy me a cart as well. The twins got introduced to Worms, Sensi Soccer and Double Dragon 2 and we had fun.
    Better value than my wife trying to find a PS5, at the moment.
    Last edited by gunrock; 28-12-2021, 19:20.

Comment

Whoah.

New "EXP" hardware! High res 4.3" screen, specific focus on offering TATE.
      Irem cart! R-Type, Moon Patrol, In the Hunt, Battle Chopper, Lightning Swords, 10-Yard Fight
      Toaplan cart! Tiger-Heli, Alcon, Guardian, Flying Shark, Truxton, Zero Wing, Snow Bros., Teki Paki.

edit: not actually 4:3! Rather 4.3"
      Last edited by fuse; 04-09-2022, 09:37.

Comment

Can those IREM & Toaplan carts be played on the Evercade VS.?

(Apologies in advance for the n00b question - I know nothing about Evercade!)
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-05-2022, 18:58.

Comment

Yes, currently at least, all carts can be played on all hardware models. I just watched the 2nd Anniversary show where all of the above was unveiled though, and alongside the new EXP model they did announce that they're discontinuing the original handheld model.

Comment

Because I just saw the tweet, I thought they were discontinuing the original model and yet only making 5000 units of a successor model, which seemed nuts. The video shows, however, that a new model is coming out and it's just the black version that is limited. Admittedly I don't play my Evercade all that much but I really like it and I like what they are doing with it so I'll probably pick up the new model at some point.

Comment

This is pretty great news for those interested in the new EXP!

Full press release here - https://evercade.co.uk/capcom-is-com...o-evercade-exp

Full list of games below -
              • 1942 (Arcade version)
              • 1943 (Arcade version)
              • 1944 : The Loop Master (Arcade version)
              • Bionic Commando™ (Arcade version)
              • Captain Commando™ (Arcade version)
              • Commando™ (Arcade version)
              • Final Fight™ (Arcade version)
              • Forgotten Worlds™ (Arcade version)
              • Ghouls ‘n Ghosts™ (Arcade version)
              • Legendary Wings™ (Arcade version)
              • MERCS (Arcade version)
              • Street Fighter II’: Hyper Fighting (Arcade version)
              • Strider (Arcade version)
              • Vulgus™ (Arcade version)
              • Mega Man (8-bit)
              • Mega Man 2 (8-bit)
              • Mega Man X (16-bit)
              • Breath of Fire (16-bit)

All the arcade stuff is great enough, but Breath of Fire?! Heck yeah!

Comment

Standard classic Capcom arcade fare. Admittedly a tempting proposition.

Apparently, Blaze wanted to make a Capcom Evercade cartridge but that idea was swiftly rejected by Capcom. Sounds about right if their Nintendo Switch behaviour is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Time Extension
                It's a shame that the Capcom collection isn't coming as a standalone cartridge (from what we understand, Capcom wasn't keen on this), but having all of these games on the console at all times is a positive boon.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 02-09-2022, 15:30.

Comment

Why does it have a 16:9 ratio screen?

Comment

So it can draw black borders on either side every frame?

Seriously though, it will be an off-the-shelf part and 4:3 lcds are getting harder to find.

Comment

I've corrected an earlier post on just this subject from when details were a bit less forthcoming. In my haste I read 4.3" as 4:3

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                        Yes, currently at least, all carts can be played on all hardware models.
                        Actually the two Namco carts can only be played on the handheld because Namco said so. I believe there is a firmware hack to allow them be played on the VS.

Comment

Amiga games are coming to the Evercade. Like some of the recent arcade collections, it's a reminder that they have done things ass-backwards sometimes though. Really, on some existing carts it's the Amiga versions which should have been there all along. So often, they have released the worst possible version of the games they put out there.

Still, I'm curious to find out what Amiga games they bring.

Comment

Me too. Agree with your sentiments, btw.

Comment

I’m writing to inform you of some very sad news. In the early hours of yesterday morning, a lorry carrying Evercade EXP Limited Edition stock was subject to a suspected targeted robbery. Nobody was hurt in this criminal act, but a theft of our Limited Edition stock was carried out.

This stock was moving between warehouses for despatch to all UK, USA, and rest of world customers – all of the stock was taken in this terrible, possibly organised attack. EU stock was not affected and has arrived in Funstock’s European warehouse successfully.
                              Dear Evercade customers and fans, I’m writing to inform you of some very sad news. In the early hours of yesterday morning, a lorry carrying Evercade EXP Limited Edition stock was subject to a suspected targeted robbery. Nobody was hurt in this criminal act, but a theft of our Limited Edition stock was carried out.... View Article

Bugger.

Comment

That is a bummer

Comment

Working...
                                X