No announcement yet.

What Do People Think Of The Evercade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw those and thought that it's a nice addition to the catalogue, but I'm still of the same mind where they need to be doing more to compete with the other emulation handhelds on the market.

Between 6 to 13 games on these carts is criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      That's an interesting choice of words if you're comparing it to devices that ship out with hundreds of unlicensed ROMs

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        That's an interesting choice of words if you're comparing it to devices that ship out with hundreds of unlicensed ROMs

This is the thing, though. The Evercade has to compete with these devices with hundreds of unlicenced ROMs.
        I really want to throw my money at something legit like the Evercade, but these miserly releases are really off-putting.

The Technos Arcade collection should be bursting with all their releases!

I get that the WWF ones have licencing issues, but everything else should be on there.

(I did love that WWF arcade though!)

EDIT: I did look on Wiki before posting and there are 28 arcade games (including the 2 WWF ones), and it really shouldn't be an issue putting them all on.

I also actually watched the video and now I want to play Sly Spy, Double Dragon 3, Combatribes, Battle Lane, Bad Dudes, Dark Seal, Wizard Fire, Alligator Hunt and World Rally, so I guess the marketing works, at least!

Those lame-o Atari games can GTFO though.
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 19-05-2021, 12:53.

Comment

I saw those and thought that it's a nice addition to the catalogue, but I'm still of the same mind where they need to be doing more to compete with the other emulation handhelds on the market.

Its funny you say that because tbh I would rather have a curated selection of games rather than throwing a whole library on a cart, Im would be more likely to play and enjoy each game. How many people have put hundreds of roms on an everdrive and then not play 99% of them? For the price of the cartridges each game works out to be a couple of quid each, which is a fair price.

Comment

Those lame-o Atari games can GTFO though.
            . Well said lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
              Its funny you say that because tbh I would rather have a curated selection of games rather than throwing a whole library on a cart, Im would be more likely to play and enjoy each game. How many people have put hundreds of roms on an everdrive and then not play 99% of them? For the price of the cartridges each game works out to be a couple of quid each, which is a fair price.
              I remember kids with loads of copied C64 tapes wouldn't play most of them all the way through to now and people overwhelmed with choice on streaming services. It does bring the problem of not knowing what to choose.

However, I don't think 28 games is too much to ask?
              Add some flyers and a short description.
              These kind of things need to be a celebration.
              Imagine if these came with a short documentary video?!

Who is to say a game you like is one I'd skip and vice versa?

I still stand by the Technos arcade collection should be all 28 of their games (even the WWF ones).

Comment

I remember kids with loads of copied C64 tapes wouldn't play most of them all the way through to now and people overwhelmed with choice on streaming services. It does bring the problem of not knowing what to choose.

However, I don't think 28 games is too much to ask?
                Add some flyers and a short description.
                These kind of things need to be a celebration.
                Imagine if these came with a short documentary video?!

Who is to say a game you like is one I'd skip and vice versa?

I still stand by the Technos arcade collection should be all 28 of their games (even the WWF ones).
                This is so true. If these game collections were presented like the Taito Memorial collections on the PS2, they would be far more desirable. But as they are, to me it's just a handful of roms on a cart. No different than a fake multi cart. Yes, they are licensed which is great but as far as a user experience goes, there's nothing special.

Digital instruction manuals, flyers, posters, developer bonuese such as art work, cheats, secrets and so on like the Capcom Legends series on Saturn. Stuff like this makes these multi carts fun and worth owning. Without these extras you may as well go and play the rom on another device.

I know this sounds like I'm promoting piracy, but I'm not. Just stating what would be appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  This is so true. If these game collections were presented like the Taito Memorial collections on the PS2, they would be far more desirable. But as they are, to me it's just a handful of roms on a cart. No different than a fake multi cart. Yes, they are licensed which is great but as far as a user experience goes, there's nothing special.

Digital instruction manuals, flyers, posters, developer bonuese such as art work, cheats, secrets and so on like the Capcom Legends series on Saturn. Stuff like this makes these multi carts fun and worth owning. Without these extras you may as well go and play the rom on another device.

I know this sounds like I'm promoting piracy, but I'm not. Just stating what would be appealing.
                  I've literally just popped onto HG101 to read about Combatribes and they have screenshots, version comparisons, boxart and flyers. This is the first 3-player beat-em-up I can remember. You could throw bikes, was that a first? How many Double Dragon guys worked on it? Just a short article on these carts would be interesting.

I'm the same as you in that I'm not advocating piracy, I'm trying to cheer on the official guys, but these releases always seem the bare minimum they can get away with.

Comment

I'm with the room on this one - if I'm paying money for an old game (or collection of old games), I want something extra for my money than a collection of roms and a menu screen. When you pay for these kinds of things, it's nice that somebody is getting paid, but usually it won't be the people who developed the games way back when, just some company who bought the rights a few years back when the original lot went under.

It probably wasn't the first, but the first time I remember someone really going the extra mile with this kind of thing was Sonic Jam on the Saturn - especially back before the Internet was much of a thing, the idea that I could watch all the old Japanese ads and enjoy loads old artwork was really cool. And that weird 3D world thing! It felt like they really cared about the product and do something for the fans. I appreciate by nowadays standards it isn't a perfect product, but it was neat.

Another good one was Namco Museum DS (on the DS, obviously). It was based on some older arcade games and didn't have tons and tons of content, but the games had lots of options and they did still have little bits of promotional artwork you could look at. I really liked the presentation of it too - to set the number of lives and difficulty and what-not it would show you the arcade circuit board and you'd have to set the dip switches! Things like that are pointless in reality but they make me smile, you can tell the developer (M2) really had an affection for these old machines.

The frustrating thing is there's probably a ton of content that is either hidden to the world or nobody can be bothered obtaining it. Tons of old concept art and rejected designs in a filing cabinet somewhere just waiting to be scanned in. Find some of the original team and ask if they want to contribute anything. Ask them for an interview and stick the contents in the booklet, most of these old game guys seem happy to chat about their work. See if you can add bonus modes to the games and what-not. Make it so you haven't just got River City Ransom, but also an all-new non-Americanized localization of the original Japanese game with the original sprites and character names.

Most of this stuff isn't particularly expensive to do and would make the whole package seem a lot more interesting and exclusive than just dumping some roms on a cartridge like a Chinese 12468-in-1 multicart complete with a squashed picture of Rambo, the entire cast of Tiny Toon Adventures and a weird off-brand green Sonic.

Comment

Really agree with the above. I think what Evercade are doing is cool ( not that I'd ever buy it ) but the lack of content per cartridge is no aim.

Comment

Re releases and compilations have often been bare bones and make no sense. Could throw in some soundtracks, high res artwork, even videos of other versions etc. But they mostly just don't care it's usually a quick cash grab from some nostalgic players or customers. I don't mean any particular release, and I know licensing costs money etc but it's often the firm that owns the properties.

Comment

The home console version, Evercade Vs, is currently available for pre-order. The "founders edition" (link) ticks a few boxes for me - black unit, two pads, comes with a few of the interesting games - and seems to be limited, so figured it's worth flagging here.

Comment

Got my evercade today, had ordered the system plus the first 12 collections. Have only played a bit of xenocrisis so far but I have to say I’m really impressed. When it was first announced I had zero interest in it because lets be honest, Blaze are not exactly known for their high quality. But after all the positive impressions online and upcoming releases I thought Id give it a shot. Build quality is great considering the price, very comfortable to hold and screen is decent quality, games themselves come in a sturdy case with a full colour booklet and I love the cartridge designs, they’re very nicely done. Hopefully blaze can continue the great work they have done here and have a steady stream of releases over the next few years, I would love to see more Japanese support for the system, especially from the likes of Sega, Capcom and Konami/Hudson Soft but on the other hand part of the charm for this is discovering overlooked games and indies which would be overshadowed if the major publishers threw their support.

Comment

I picked up the Codemasters collection, mostly for one of my all-time favourite console pinball games, Psycho Pinball. It plays pretty great on the Evercade, although I have a feeling the resolution has been dropped a little to fit it on the screen. Not sure, I'd have to check how the Evercade is displaying 16-bit games but there is a kind of step effect on some parts that feel like lines of res being compacted. And yet not apparent consistently which is why I'm not sure. But it still looks pretty good and plays great.

Aside from that game, I have only dipped into a few of the others. I have heard Sensible Soccer is great but I couldn't figure out if I was even playing it when I tried it! And there are a bunch of oddities. Some look interesting. Some feel like stinkers. Still, I do like that these games are getting released on the system.

But seeing the 16-bit Codemasters games makes me wish that the Mega Drive version of Fantastic Dizzy had been included in the Oliver Twins collection.

Comment

[MENTION=1646]Ghost[/MENTION], where did you order all those goodies from?

Comment

Working...
                                X