What Do People Think Of The Evercade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do People Think Of The Evercade?

Couldn't find a thread on this. Interested to know what people think of this handheld?

I am quite interested in it. Watching videos it seems a bit underwhelming in some ways (most games are console versions rather than arcade ports). But I still find myself very attracted towards it. Just something about having games on a cartridge for a dedicated system that means you give them more of a play, and that the games mean more somehow. Am I alone in thinking this?

It looks decent enough for what it is but I know I'd never give it much time if I bought it personally.

Comment

There is an appeal to cartridges but the 351M.......

Comment

I think it's a product aimed firmly at retro gamers who are addicted to collecting stuff. It will be like retro crack to that market. The allure of collecting all the boxed carts will be a thrill that people in that group will eagerly embrace. So Blaze are giving them something new to get excited about. So as much as the actual hardware might be quite underwhelming, putting the games on little cartridges is a masterstroke.

Away from the collectors, I think most retro gamers will feel happier using one of the better quality handhelds available these days.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-11-2020, 22:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I think it's a product aimed firmly at retro gamers who are addicted to collecting stuff. It will be like retro crack to that market. The allure of collecting all the boxed carts will be a thrill that people in that group will eagerly embrace. So Blaze are giving them something new to get excited about. So as much as the actual hardware might be quite underwhelming, putting the games on little cartridges is a masterstroke.

Away from the collectors, I think most retro gamers will feel happier using one of the better quality handhelds available these days.
          I think the screen and TV output both seem pretty good. For me it's just maybe the games are a bit underwhelming at the moment. But Yes definitely very attractive to collectors with the spine numbers. I guess Blaze's hope is if it takes off the quality of the games will improve - but I'm sure a lot of people will just say "I've got a Switch".

I'm still thinking of buying one, so will let you know if I enjoy it

Comment

Having actually played one a fair it, it's a great little system. Solid screen, good build quality and a lovely d-pad.

Prices are good, carts are nicely. It has issues of course, no scanlines and some sloppy things in the packaging such as a wrong screenshot for Slime World.

It's an easy way to officially play many games, especially the Lynx stuff.

Comment

I was just having a look at these yesterday. Seems a lot of people reviewing them had technical issues like sound dropping out in particular. And quite a few complaints about button assignment. I've been tempted by the cart with the Dizzy games. But in all honesty, it's so incomplete and I'm not sure I'd want any other of the other games on the system so I don't know.

Comment

To me, it seems to exist in some weird middle-ground where it doesn't look to have quite as much careful attention put into it that you'd expect as a fan, but it also isn't as flexible as the Chinese handheld emulators that Yakumo seems to get in the post every week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I was just having a look at these yesterday. Seems a lot of people reviewing them had technical issues like sound dropping out in particular. And quite a few complaints about button assignment. I've been tempted by the cart with the Dizzy games. But in all honesty, it's so incomplete and I'm not sure I'd want any other of the other games on the system so I don't know.
                  I saw that but I think that's been fixed in some kind of firmware update? I'm sure those were early reviews

Something I forgot that is great about Evercade games is the full colour manuals. I love manuals!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    Having actually played one a fair it, it's a great little system. Solid screen, good build quality and a lovely d-pad.

Prices are good, carts are nicely. It has issues of course, no scanlines and some sloppy things in the packaging such as a wrong screenshot for Slime World.

It's an easy way to officially play many games, especially the Lynx stuff.
                    I've ordered mine now, so good to hear someone likes it! I ordered a few packs of games I've never played before - looking forward to discovering a new game I enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                      I saw that but I think that's been fixed in some kind of firmware update? I'm sure those were early reviews
                      Ah! I didn't know that. That's good to hear.

Comment

I got one of these for my birthday. Haven't got the Dizzy collection yet, which is the main thing I'd want on it, but I got the set with the Atari cart, Interplay cart and Namco cart. As flagged in many reviews it is weird that it often has NES versions of arcade classics (especially on a system with 'cade' in the name) but, getting past that, it does feel pretty good. I updated the firmware right away so I have whatever fixes they implemented and the games seem to run pretty well. Being honest, I think there are a bunch of stinkers here but a few I might give some time to and I'm looking forward to exploring the ones I don't know all that well. There is at least a few interesting choices here. So yeah, it seems good.

Comment

One thing that becomes so apparent with the older games, especially the Atari ones, is that they are so unintuitive. I have no idea what I’m doing in some of them and there isn’t enough info in the little manual. Although I must say, I do appreciate having game boxes and manuals. There is something nice about that.

Comment

If you haven’t already got the Mega Drive versions then you can’t go wrong with the Xeno Crisis / Tanglewood double pack. Both excellent games in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                              If you haven’t already got the Mega Drive versions then you can’t go wrong with the Xeno Crisis / Tanglewood double pack. Both excellent games in my opinion.
                              Thanks, I'll take a look.

Comment

Working...
                              X