Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s talk frame-rates! (because borders are dowwwn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s talk frame-rates! (because borders are dowwwn)

I’m getting into the guts of the Series X now. I’ve tried Ori 2 (stunning!), Dirt 5 and Gears 5 at 120fps on my Samsung Q80T QLED. I’m a bit of a frame-rate snob lol, I’d rather a game run at 60fps and look like ET on the Atari 2600 than Last Of Us 2 on the PS4 Pro at 30fps. It takes some adjusting for me to get used to a game at 30fps but I’m actually finding 120fps is a different story. The jump from 30 to 60 is massive but it’s a lot less noticeable from 60 to 120 because 60 is sufficient. I think with a game like Dirt 5 the happy medium is 60fps mode with better visuals. The jump from 60 to 120 doesn’t seem as big for me, there’s too much of a sacrifice on visual fidelity to achieve it. With early adopter syndrome it begs the question of what the whole point is in investing crazy money in to these 120hz TV’s is for, especially the QLED.

I think the standard for this new generation is has to be 4K 60fps on all games. Those videos on Spider-Man Miles Morales look crazy good at 60fps when swinging through the city at the sacrifice of Ray Tracing at 30fps.

I will say though the latency is incredible on Gears 5 at 120hz, with game mode on. It’s literally instantaneous when you shoot and move.
    Last edited by MarioMark; 20-11-2020, 14:32.

I'm going to struggle settling on one setting or the other I know that much. Spiderman with Ray Tracing looks too good not to use... But then 60fps Web slinging looks fab too.
    Ultimately I think it'll depend on the game. Demon souls I can see me playing 60fps, because latency and smoothness matters most. Something like spiderman I'll probably go for 4k Ray Tracing.
    Racing games are going to be the biggest compromise. 4k Ray Traced cars will look incredible, but 60fps racing is where you want it. My head is already imploding with permutations.

Comment

It varies game to game, 60fps is the ideal sweet spot but as we know it'll become increasingly rare without excessive compromises as the generation goes on. 30fps is fine as long as the framerate pacing is good. For games like TLOU etc 30fps isn't an issue at all as nice as 60fps would be, for others like COD it'd be awful if they abandoned the 60fps requirement.

Comment

Was using a 60hz monitor for a while on PC and when i went back to the 144hz i instantly noticed the difference, problem i often have is frame pacing and notice it more at lower frame rates

Comment

I’ll always take a 60 FPS mode better graphics be damned. It’s more responsive and visually clearer and sharper due to the increased temporal resolution. I’d like to see someone investigate how much use 120Hz is on the different types of LCD panels and on OLEDs too. Stuff like pixel response time and image ghosting could make a big difference to people’s perception of the difference between 60 and 120 Hz.
          Hopefully Digital Foundry etc are on this and looking into MS claims of reduced latency with the new hardware too.

Comment

Depends on the pace of the game but basically I'd like to see mandatory resolution v performance modes and the performance one aiming for at least 60fps.

Comment

Yeah I don’t know why this hasn’t always been a thing. On pc I need entirely different settings for some games depending on if I’m using vr or 4K and I just adjust settings til I get the frame rate/ quality trade off I’m happy with. Consoles should do this too, even if it’s a limited fashion

Comment

Having to faff about with settings does detract from the whole plug and play consoles experience. The option on PS5 to globally prioritise performance or visuals is a very good idea.

Comment

Two tier options will likely become the norm as the gen progresses with that stripping away to no options again unless both companies decide to release 'Pro' models of their machines. The first Digital Foundry comparison suggests the machines are pretty much level with each other meaning those much lauded Flops on the Series X have amounted to pretty much nothing so devs will find it easy to make options parallel across both consoles until visuals reach a benchmark that necessitates 30fps

Comment

It’s a wee bit early to say the extra power in the Series X means nothing. Capcom said only a month ago the Series X version of the game wouldn’t have ray tracing support and we know that the MS development software is behind where it should be too.

Comment

I feel by the time we'd get a definitive answer the machines would be replaced by mid-gen refreshes etc especially as MS's software philosophy means their games won't max fidelity all generation (though topically the dependency on 60fps is nice)

Comment

I do wonder if we will see mid gen refreshes. New smaller process nodes are more expensive these days. There is of course benefits in power and density but it may not be enough to offset the higher cost per chip. Memory prices aren’t going down much, hence only 16GB this gen, and even motherboards are getting more expensive with more layers and traces required to support all the lanes to the RAM, SSDs etc.
                        I think it’s telling MS has released the two new consoles simultaneously. One clearly the replacement for the 1/1S and the other replacing the 1X.

Comment

MS may simply by extension of their approach but I kind of hope no-one does. I feel the sales didn't justify them and nice as a resolution bump was ultimately neither were utilised. Both companies should do their best to drive down existing models costs instead, PS4 Slim pricing is still nuts

Comment

I think we will see a couple of bigger Ray Tracing 4k/60 games by the end of the generation. Once they squeeze the systems and get clever with shortcuts.
                            Digital Foundry have an hour long interview with the demon souls devs and its a real insight in to the PS5s capabilities. Sounds like they can get alot more out of it.

Comment

Just popping in to say I'm disappointed the thread title isn't:
                              Let’s talk frame-rates! (because borders are down)

Comment

Working...
                              X