Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk everthing Commodore and I mean everything...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk everthing Commodore and I mean everything...

Let's use this as a starting base. I love my A500 it got me into programming and animation, all my friends had them as well it was like an exclusive club. Some friends had STE's and they were given the cold shoulder in all honesty.

I dearly wish that Commodore was still around the domination of consoles has gone on for too long... a computer resurgence is due and has begun with the PI we just need to build a new purpose-built model and case and the UK rules the oceans again forever... with reintegration worldwide.

Last edited by CAPCOM; 11-11-2020, 22:25.

Lionel Richie was my favourite. "Easy like Sunday morning", absolute classic.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
      Lionel Richie was my favourite. "Easy like Sunday morning", absolute classic.

Comment

Great song....I would rather wake up to the "Sons of Liberty Soundtrack" though....

Comment

Opening post quickly became about Britain and every post since is nothing to do with commodore. Great start!

I started with a vic-20. I broke the first one so my Xmas present the following year was another vic-20. Never had a c64 at the time but I did pick up a plus 4, which was a bit crap.

At uni I had an Amiga 500 with the kde hardware 8086 emulator so I was able to run pc programs when I needed to. I learnt to program c on that machine with the aid of the huge Includes and autodocs, libraries and devices, and the hardware reference manual. Also my first assembly language was 68000. I had the A590 20meg hard drive with 2 meg expansion too. Some friends had the gvp 50meg one but the official one was cool in that you could soft load kickstart 2 with it.

These days I have an a500 with a vampire card in, an a600 with a 68020@40mhz and a flicker fixer to get vga output. All in that tiny little box. Amazing. I also have an Amiga 1200, an Amiga 1081 monitor, a vic-20 and a Commodore 64 breadbin with a working 1541 floppy drive and even an original commodore joystick.

Probably going to sell 2 of the amigas but I’ll keep the rest. I was playing Simon the sorcerer just last night in fact.

Comment

I LOVED my C64 and C64S.
            The C64S wouldn't load music maker though. Really odd. It's like the hardware wasn't compatible. I don't know if the internals were different in any way?

I remember paying full price for some really bad games like Skel, and then Mastertronic released some really cool stuff like Impossible Mission for £1.99.

Did anyone play Infiltrator? You had to fly a helicopter in 3D to a base without getting caught and then infiltrate the base.

Comment

Imagine Metal Gear Solid VI on a new Amiga ARM RISC 5000? Twinned with Sharp for the Japanese industry....

If Metal Gear Solid 6 is to happen, even as a remake of 1987's 2D Metal Gear, it needs to build on MGS5: The Phantom Pain

Comment

Started with a cream C64 and later owned a breadbox, then later moved on to an Amiga. The Amiga was great, but my first fantastic gaming experiences were all on C64. They were short, (relatively) expensive, but an awful lot still stand up today. Dropzone, for example, is still the best Defender clone I've played, and The Sentinel's eerie landscapes still haunt my mind.

And the music... the SID chip was amazing.

Comment

My folks offered me an Amiga 500 for my birthday (I’ve no idea how they could have afforded it) but I knocked it back for a C64. Why you may ask? Well I’d played Bubble Bobble on the Amiga at my mates house and thought it was pretty shabby. So I plumped for the C64 which saved them a lot of money and games were more affordable in the pocket money / paper round realm. The A500 can’t have been long on the market at that point so it would have been early days for game developers.
                  My overriding memory of the C64 is getting R-Type, which I had played on my Speccy and at the local arcade, and rushing home to play it. The music on the title screen just blew me away! It really was one of those games that showed the system off. And I have to give a special mention to Creatures as well. I had a Master System by the time I got this game but it held it own pretty well against the slick 50hz hardware scrolling and sprites of the little Sega system.
                  I eventually picked up a cheap C64GS hoping for the instant loading of the Master System but it really wasn’t all that. And a bargain 1541 disk drive was another dud. Games with fast loaders were noticeably quicker but others might as well have been coming off of a tape.

I was always aware of the Amiga scene as a few friends had them but I was firmly ensconced in the world of the MegaDrive by then. I did eventually pick up an A1200 when I needed a computer for college. Needless to say it was souped up as quickly as I could afford it on my apprentice wages. I put it in a tower case added a massive 80MB HDD and a CD-ROM drive. The CPU was upgraded to a 25Mhz 68030 and a whole 8MB of RAM. When I was finished with college stuff I kind of lost interest in the system. The consoles were just far better games systems and when a friend needed a computer for college I gave him a loan of it.
                  I had basically forgotten about it but a few years later I needed a computer again and asked for it back. We went over to his Mums to collect it only to discover she had thrown it out! Monitor, printer and computer. I was livid. Ended up with my first x86 PC after that.
                  I have come back into the Amiga fold with a few cheaply acquired systems over the last ten years or so. But I’ve rationalized that lot so it’s just a moderately enhanced A1200 now with a 25Mhz 020, 4MB RAM and a 4GB Compact Flash HDD. Still plays most games well albeit not the intensive pseudo 3D stuff. It’s treat seeing those games on a SD plasma although I’m not sure the desktop scales too well to a 37” screen.
                  I would really like to get one of the standalone Vampire systems but they just never seem to materialize.
                  Last edited by CMcK; 12-11-2020, 12:02.

Comment

My game is the best C64 game.

Comment

What was up with Wizkid? 'I loved that game even more...on the Amiga, played the demo to death before getting the full game...

The definitive biography of the game developer behind Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder and Wizball. The Sensible Software book is available in our shop.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        I would really like to get one of the standalone Vampire systems but they just never seem to materialize.
                        I wish someone would stick one of those in a high quality case with keyboard that harks back to the original A500. Something akin to the Spectrum Next but for the Amiga. Should be plenty doable seeing as the motherboard/FPGA system is already out there.

Comment

Nintendo should just buy Commodore's assets and start their own open home computing division = $$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            I wish someone would stick one of those in a high quality case with keyboard that harks back to the original A500. Something akin to the Spectrum Next but for the Amiga. Should be plenty doable seeing as the motherboard/FPGA system is already out there.
                            Surely that’s a project that could be crowdfunded like the Speccy Next?

Comment

It would be funded in 24 hrs. Need some original designers on board though..

I would get a jet black Amiga in a heartbeat!
                              Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-11-2020, 17:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X