Axelay
    Castlevania IV
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Gynoug
    International Superstar Soccer/Deluxe
    Sensible Soccer
    Speedball 2
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Eight random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 4 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-11-2020, 11:50.

For me it’s Gynoug, Speedball 2, SotN and Gynoug. Axelay and Sensi are hugely overrated, I’m not into Zelda and I can’t recall having played the other games.
    Gynoug is a sort of proto bullet hell game. So many bullets on screen at times yet it barely seems to suffer for it with slowdown. Weird creatures are a change from the usual sci-fi games of that era and there’s loads of nifty effects too. Very good addition to the MDs library.

Comment

SOTN and LTTP are two of the very best games ever made. Hearing the soundtrack of either it enough to make me go all starry-eyed and nostalgic ... they're so good.

After that it's probably Axelay and Castlevania IV ... I agree Axelay is a bit overrated in the gameplay dept (the vert levels imo) but once level 2 kicks in, along with that incredible music, they game really shows some qualities. Castlevania IV is a super platformer, only slightly let down by feeling like you're walking in treacle a bit.

Comment

Axelay - for the soundtrack alone
        CSIV - the definitive actionvania
        Speedball II - 16 bit brutal deluxe on Amiga
        Zelda III - best game of its generation

Next round 10 games 7 choices Leon...
        Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-11-2020, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Axelay and Sensi are hugely overrated

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Castlevania IV is a super platformer, only slightly let down by feeling like you're walking in treacle a bit.
          At least he can moonwalk up and down the stairs.

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
          Axelay - for the soundtrack alone
          It's up there with the Contra III & Castlevania IV soundtracks as one of the best from the 16-bit era.

Comment

Zelda, Speedball 2, Castlevania IV and Axelay for me.

Comment

Castlevania IV - For me up there with Mario IV, Super Metroid for 2D platform perfection. I loved how the game started off slowly and then just upped the graphics sound and gameplay. I remember staying in on a Friday night to play it, rather that go out with my Girlfriend at the time (no wonder I was dumped)

Sensible Soccer Still the best football game ever made and the Mega CD version is a classic with the real chants ' Oi you tripper'

Axelay Awesome game and the game 1st level music is etched in my brain

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                I loved how the game started off slowly and then just upped the graphics sound and gameplay.
                Yeah, it starts off pretty subtle then becomes more and more epic. You really feel like you're on a journey.

Sensible Soccer Still the best football game ever made and the Mega CD version is a classic with the real chants ' Oi you tripper'
                The MCD version is definitely something special for fans of the game. It's the one I always go back to.

Axelay Awesome game and the game 1st level music is etched in my brain
                The Stage 1 music is epic, but the Stage 2 music is my fave. Every aspect of Axelay is awesome, so it's easily one of my favourite 16-bit shooters.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-11-2020, 18:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  Yeah, it starts off pretty subtle then becomes more and more epic. You really feel like you're on a journey.
                  Yeah that's one of the best aspects of the game.

The MCD version is definitely something special for fans of the game. It's the one I always go back to.
                  Yeah, It adds so much because it's from real fans. I think the team went to a Nottingham Forest league game to record the chants 'we are the Derby haters'

The Stage 1 music is epic, but the Stage 2 music is my fave.
                  Stage 1 music is epic, I do love the boss music to Stage 2 mind

Comment

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past easily my fave of the Zelda games, my first foray onto action RPGs
                    Castlevania IV, what can be said about this, one of the finest 16bit games ever.
                    Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, huge game, just 32bit action perfection.
                    Axelay, great looking and sounding game, a bit short, but i would have thought Konami would have put out a sequel for this.

Comment

Yeah that's one of the best aspects of the game.

It's easily my favourite entry in the series' -- I love everything about it. It's one of those brilliant 16-bit games that I'll never get bored of. The music is incredible.

Of course, the Japanese version is the one to play, seeing it's censored in the West.

Yeah, It adds so much because it's from real fans. I think the team went to a Nottingham Forest league game to record the chants 'we are the Derby haters'
                      I didn't know the specifics of the chanting, so that's cool to know. It's great that the dev went the extra mile to make sure the MCD version feels special.

Y
                      Stage 1 music is epic, I do love the boss music to Stage 2 mind
                      Stage 4 set in the caverns also has memorable music that really enhances the atmosphere. Konami sure knew how to make the sound chip sing.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                      The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past easily my fave of the Zelda games, my first foray onto action RPGs
                      I'm not a fan of adventure/rpg games, but Link to the Past managed to really grab me. It's such a well crafted game in all departments, so a joy to play through. It stands the test of time perfectly.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                      Axelay, great looking and sounding game, a bit short, but i would have thought Konami would have put out a sequel for this.
                      Yeah, it's a shame that the promised[it's mentioned in the credits] sequel didn't materialise. Supposedly, some of the people behind the game left Konami to form Treasure. Although that seems to be based on hearsay rather than a concrete fact.

As much as Axelay doesn't take very long to play through, I love how every stage feels really distinct. The bosses are also a joy. It's one of my go-to retro shooters.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-11-2020, 12:53.

Comment

The best Axelay Art in the world...

Here are the "BOSSES OF ALL BOSSES" Leon

I have more to show for later today too...
                        Last edited by CAPCOM; 17-11-2020, 09:19.

Comment

The best Axelay Art in the world...
                          The first image is excellent. The 'Witch's Hat' image is incredible.

A French artist called Orioto painted this. I have a framed poster of it that looks stunning.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-11-2020, 18:23.

Comment

I know that graphical impression...it's not as good as my first image or this style...some incredible effort went into these...

You lost this one Leon.......

Comment

I know that graphical impression...it's not as good as my first image or this style...some incredible effort went into these...
                              It really is awesome how talented people have created such brilliant images to celebrate Axelay. It makes me wish Konami would create a sequel that takes advantage of modern tech.

You lost this one Leon.......
                              Oh well... it's the taking part that counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X