The Official ACORN Thread - All Acorn - everything...all talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
    For anyone interested in BBC Micro/Acorn Electron games, there's a book due out next month that might be of interest:

LINK
    Ordered it the minute I saw it advertised on Retro Gamer hopefully the start of a new great publishing company....

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
      The Acorn was just better....hence ARM...
      Enjoyed that vid ta, have subscribed the blokes channel.

Comment

Here's a sneak peak...

Comment

Looks great but, sadly, it looks like it's delayed:

Port troubles leave UK bookseller with no books

Comment

I got an email saying early December...have the Dreamcast one to keep me occupied until then...

A documentary art book on the Sega Dreamcast, featuring game concept illustrations, developer interviews and hardware plans. Buy the book from our shop.

Last edited by CAPCOM; 21-11-2020, 15:37.

Comment

Weird to think that I was sneakily playing Arkanoid and Pac Mania on a green-keyed Acorn at secondary school as late as 1998. (Actual Arkanoid, BTW, not one of those clones also on the Acorn.) I mean, Arkanoid and Pac Mania felt like proper retro gaming back in 1998, let alone if you played it now.

Comment

Our school also learned to programme with Archimedes Computers...

Without this guy nothing would be possible today...

Comment

It arrived today the new Acorn book via DPD ws hoping it was Transformer Gestalt Devastator but looks like having to pay Import Tax on that from China BOO! as got a Royal Mail slip today, as missed it yesterday... email kept their at publisher saying early December word...keeping it sealed until the 25th and wrapping it up as a Christmas Gift to myself from Santa

Going to be an Acorn themed Retro Christmas at my house getting my brother a new replacement Acorn Electorn and Plus One plus games as he tried to get our original one working and failed about 5 years ago so now my nieces can play Repton and one can learn to programme in BASIC and ASEMBLY for her Computing class she is in Middle School just before GCSE level...starting ICT and Computing see Livingstone Hope Skills Review by Sir Ian Livingstone and Alex Hope and I will get her a Raspberry Pi for Python and more modern languages...

Got a complete set of all Acorn User issues as well on DVD and bought myself ACE, Zero, CVG, Super Play and Amiga Format Collections as well...good value and great scans in PDF files...fantastic resources than web based alternative and old magazine racks...

Have bought him some new games like Strike Force Harrier these below to enjoy as well...

Waiting on a few more...really want Superior Software's Camelot and have found some great Electron and Acorn websites online...
                  Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 18:33.

Comment

The Acorn electron was the first computer we got as kids, our fave games where Felix in the factory which was a single screen ladders and monsters game where you had to get oil and keep filling a machine up at the bottom of the screen to keep the game going,

Bird strike
                    a very strange shooter, citadel a very cool littel adventure game which took us an age to finish

it was Magic Mushrooms that we played the most though it was a simple platform game that had an amazing level editor to make your own levels i spent a silly amount of time messing about with it making new levels

Last edited by Lebowski; 03-12-2020, 16:34.

Comment

The Citadel artwork scared me and freaked me out as a child...like an evil Jawa from Star Wars those eyes...it did take ages to finish but was worth it and Palace of Magic is the unofficial sequel...

Citadel is that tough there is not even a walkthrough video on you tube I could find easily!

Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 18:39.

Comment

Loved Citadel and Palace of Magic. I drew out huge maps for them both across multiple pieces of A4 sellotaped together

There was a Citadel 2 on one of Superior Software's "Play it Again Sam" compilations. I don't think I ever played it at the time but might give it a go via Beebem or bbcmicro.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
                          Loved Citadel and Palace of Magic. I drew out huge maps for them both across multiple pieces of A4 sellotaped together

There was a Citadel 2 on one of Superior Software's "Play it Again Sam" compilations. I don't think I ever played it at the time but might give it a go via Beebem or bbcmicro.co.uk
                          lol haven't heard anyone mention play it again sam in years thats a wave of nostalgia right there used to love those compilations

We had Play it again sam 1 which had Strykers run, citadel, ravenskull and Thrust, spent far to much time on all those games

Comment

My copy of the Acorn: A World in Pixels book arrived yesterday. Only had a quick flick through so far but first impressions are very positive. Floods of nostalgia

Comment

Working...
                            X