This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    Maybe some units have different disc drives.
    You want a Samsung -- not a Thompson.

Comment

I’ve never played Skyrim, so I’m looking forward to getting a free arrow to the knee

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      You want a Samsung -- not a Thompson.
      LOL the memories! I think Samsungs were better for reading DVD-Rakuten , but the tray was quite flimsy. Philips drives had a much more solid-feeling tray which moved so smoothly and made the Xbox feel like a premium product. It reminded me of our old Marantz CD player

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post

. Philips drives had a much more solid-feeling tray which moved so smoothly and made the Xbox feel like a premium product.
        Yeah, such a solid console deserves a solid drive. I just remember people going on about Samsung being some sort of Holy Grail next to the dodgy Thompson drives. I think MS went with Phillips after a while, seeing they're top quality in all areas.

I collected Xbox games when they were dirt cheap -- but I put them on my 1TB HDD. So the DVD drive isn't an issue anymore. I had a Thompson in my first Xbox and after a while... the FMV kept skipping. I traded it for a Crystal machine with the Phillips drive -- much better.

It reminded me of our old Marantz CD player
        Marantz...
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-12-2020, 00:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Yeah, such a solid console deserves a solid drive. I just remember people going on about Samsung being some sort of Holy Grail next to the dodgy Thompson drives. I think MS went with Phillips after a while, seeing they're top quality in all areas.
          I was just reading about the drives and it seems to be Thompson < Samsung < Philips for regular use, or Thompson < Philips < Samsung for legal backups of games people bought. Legally.

I collected Xbox games when they were dirt cheap -- but I put them on my 1TB HDD. So the DVD drive isn't an issue anymore. I had a Thompson in my first Xbox and after a while... the FMV kept skipping. I traded it for a Crystal machine with the Phillips drive -- much better.
          1TB in an Xbox! Crikey, I never went beyond 120GB because I didn't want to get around the 137GB BIOS limitation(I was using XBL at the time).

Comment

1TB in an Xbox! Crikey, I never went beyond 120GB because I didn't want to get around the 137GB BIOS limitation(I was using XBL at the time).
            I bought a modded Halo green crystal Xbox with a 1TB HDD, but I haven't installed tons of games. It has lots of emulators that are still worth using.

I'm glad I have a collection of boxed Xbox games though, because some of them look great on the Xbox One X. Panzer Dragoon Orta...

Comment

If anyone is interested in getting a Series S, Argos now have them back in stock.

Buy Xbox Series S 512GB Digital Console at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

I have just ordered one. I really want a Series X but I’m absolutely not paying scalpers so the Series S will do just fine until stock is readily available again, plus the wife won’t be happy forking out for an extra 4K TV this side of Xmas

Comment

Played Hivebusters Gears 5 dlc last night. The first level in the jungle looks superb and the HDR looks great

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
                  If anyone is interested in getting a Series S, Argos now have them back in stock.

Buy Xbox Series S 512GB Digital Console at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

I have just ordered one. I really want a Series X but I’m absolutely not paying scalpers so the Series S will do just fine until stock is readily available again, plus the wife won’t be happy forking out for an extra 4K TV this side of Xmas
                  I'm loving my Series S, and I discovered a welcome bonus feature for these cold winter months - I leave my controller on the fan grille for a few minutes and it gets nice and warm

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                    Played Hivebusters Gears 5 dlc last night. The first level in the jungle looks superb and the HDR looks great
                    I was coming in here to write this... Started it last night and it's absolutely gorgeous and rather good fun as well.

I hear it only takes about 3.5hrs to finish but that it's great throughout.

Comment

Ooh, SP Gears 5 DLC?! Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        Ooh, SP Gears 5 DLC?! Good stuff.
                        Yep plus the update also fixes several minor graphical issues with the X/S optimisation for the main game. Digital Foundry covered it all off in a video and basically its thumbs up all round.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            Nice!!

Comment

[MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION] I might be going crazy but was it you that posted the instructions of how to stream Xbox GamePass games to a Windows PC?

Comment

Just dropping in here to say I'm almost at the end of the 3-4hr Hivebusters campaign and it's absolutely worth checking out.

Great graphics (HDR is amazing) and just a blast to play through. No filler, and I'm already thinking about cranking the difficulty up and going back in.

As a side note Call of the Sea on game pass, I've just taken a look at this and I can already feel it's another winner. I hear it just won some awards and I can see why. Another to put on the list if you're getting into game pass for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X