This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Wtf have devs been doing though? You would have thought lockdown would have been an ideal opportunity for computer nerds to be coding furiously at home lol
    I don't think the issues have been to do with access to tools more collaborating and working as a team. There's huge challenges there and depending on the size of the team/project it's definitely more difficult.

Comment

I think you just kinda have to accept with this gen that it’s mostly going to be a ‘Pro’ version of last gen for the first couple of years. There are the odd next gen exclusives from Sony like the Demon’s remake and Ratchet, but it’ll be a good while before XSX and PS5 become the de facto platforms for development. The days of an immediate leap forward, like PS2 -> 360 (or anything anywhere near as drastic as SNES -> N64) are long gone.

Comment

It's still the waiting curve with MS. To be fair Playstation first years are often incredibly poor so PS5's looks reasonably decent by comparison. MS's line up has been utter tripe for years so they're still waiting for the acquisitions to pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          It's still the waiting curve with MS. To be fair Playstation first years are often incredibly poor so PS5's looks reasonably decent by comparison. MS's line up has been utter tripe for years so they're still waiting for the acquisitions to pay off.
          The thing that concerns me with Sony is whether they can sustain it. They had last of us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima just prior to PS5 releasing and they've got Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok looming...

It's great to have big hitters like that right out of the gate but I wonder what else is pencilled in and what the timeline gaps are in-between.

With MS it's still the long game. We know there's lots in development but no sight of when they will start to drop with regularity.

Until then I'm really happy with the upgrades as with game pass you've got a tonne of content to explore for very little outlay. It's about as good as it gets until then...

Comment

MS have rolled out EA play for PC Game Pass today plus Auto HDR for PC as well.

Great if you're playing on PC as it's not been recieving as much content as the consoles... Levels things a bit.

Comment

I'm expecting Sony to maintain their pace mostly due to how long they went without announcing much new in the last few years of key PS4 releases but though they seem pretty steady what might get old this gen is how heavily dependent on third person action adventures they are. I do love those types of games but too much of one thing might outstay its welcome and sometimes the level of interactivity gets sacrificed for cinematic visuals.

MS tends to house a wider stable of genres but the quality bar and frequency is a huge stride behind. Presumably late 2022 onward they should have everything alligned with Bethesda (with existing deals out the way) and it will have been enough years for the other studios to finally start delivering on their projects rather than burning off the stuff they already had in the oven that no-one cares for.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                I'm expecting Sony to maintain their pace mostly due to how long they went without announcing much new in the last few years of key PS4 releases but though they seem pretty steady what might get old this gen is how heavily dependent on third person action adventures they are. I do love those types of games but too much of one thing might outstay its welcome and sometimes the level of interactivity gets sacrificed for cinematic visuals.

MS tends to house a wider stable of genres but the quality bar and frequency is a huge stride behind. Presumably late 2022 onward they should have everything alligned with Bethesda (with existing deals out the way) and it will have been enough years for the other studios to finally start delivering on their projects rather than burning off the stuff they already had in the oven that no-one cares for.
                Yeah I'd agree with that. The portfolio for Sony does seem pretty focused on that style and genre. With Microsoft it's a little more diverse but with Bethesda on board they've become something of an RPG house now... Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Outer World's, Avowed, Fable etc...

With Game Pass they can at least let their first party teams get a little creative away from the main AAA titles and try out other projects.

Comment

I'd like to see both Sony and MS getting their first parties to branch out a bit. It'd be cool to see Bethesda put out a smaller hack n' slash maybe. Or Insomniac making an RPG. I know studios tend to stick to what they are good at, but it does breed a level of homeostasis.
                  Back in the day Ocean and Team17 released all kinds of stuff. Maybe today the risk isn't worth it.

Comment

Love my PS5 as much as the next junkyard dawg, but you are right and it's something I've said before, the first party output from Sony hardly interests me. I try and the games seem to bounce off me. The third person and story driven stuff they put out is boring. I have Miles Morales and Spider-man, but I've hardly touched them. It seems many many people like them though, so sadly for me, they are gonna keep hammering these games out. I hope and I think Returnal will be different. But then I saw there was a 'Story trailer' released. Defo agree. Give us a nice spread of genres. Last of Us pisses me off

I've played a lot more Game Pass this week. Put my PS5 on for some Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 coz it's £1.50 on the store at the moment. Oh my gawd. Do not get me started on the store website!
                    Last edited by hudson; 18-03-2021, 08:15.

Comment

The trailer for Genesis Noir, which is coming to Xbox Game Pass on the 25th, has firmly put it on my radar.

Comment

Looks like Vib Ribbon

Comment

There's a great deal on HotUKDeals right now through eneba. You can get £50 Xbox credit for just over £40...

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                            The trailer for Genesis Noir, which is coming to Xbox Game Pass on the 25th, has firmly put it on my radar.

That certainly looks interesting.

Comment

DF analysis of Skyrim and Fallout on Xbox at 60fps. SeriesX is much more capable but it still has frame drops. I don't believe for a second it's that the seriesX can't run it. It just shows how much of a bitch the game engine must be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                DF analysis of Skyrim and Fallout on Xbox at 60fps. SeriesX is much more capable but it still has frame drops. I don't believe for a second it's that the seriesX can't run it. It just shows how much of a bitch the game engine must be.

https://youtu.be/7opc7cENOFE
                                Yeah nothing to do with the console itself more the way the FPS boost works and the fact the original game code is left untouched.

There's actually 3 ways to run Fallout 4 at 60fps now... Using the in-game mod which patches the ini file, the FPS boost which basically tricks the game into doubling the frame rate... But here limits the game to 1080p, or you can actually fool the FPS boost to run without it limiting to 1080p but it's a bit more unstable.

All of them are useful but I'd still rather an actual enhancement patch. As it is now it's just running either the One S or One X versions in backward compatibility mode using none of the extra stuff the be consoles offer.

That said, I tried Fallout 4 using both FPS boost and the mod patch and it looks really nice. I realise one is 1080p but the console then does a nice enough job upscaling it.

It also doesn't hurt that the load super quick now as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X