This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonny View Post
    Yeah nothing to do with the console itself more the way the FPS boost works and the fact the original game code is left untouched.

There's actually 3 ways to run Fallout 4 at 60fps now... Using the in-game mod which patches the ini file, the FPS boost which basically tricks the game into doubling the frame rate... But here limits the game to 1080p, or you can actually fool the FPS boost to run without it limiting to 1080p but it's a bit more unstable.

All of them are useful but I'd still rather an actual enhancement patch. As it is now it's just running either the One S or One X versions in backward compatibility mode using none of the extra stuff the be consoles offer.

That said, I tried Fallout 4 using both FPS boost and the mod patch and it looks really nice. I realise one is 1080p but the console then does a nice enough job upscaling it.

It also doesn't hurt that the load super quick now as well.
    Yeah the load times alone are worth the cash. Skyrim was nuts loading times. I'd start it up and then put the kettle on. When I got it again on the ps3 it was even worse!
    The FPS boost the console does is really very good though. To be able to apply it to games with locked framerates is brilliant.

Comment

Poor job done I guess. My pc does Skyrim in 4K at almost 200fps and it’s only a 5600xt card

Comment

Yeah it doesn't and won't compare to a PC setup but then it's running the Xbox One version vanilla in backward compatibility mode so power has nowt to do with it.

If MS asked Bethesda to patch it specifically for the new consoles it'll be a huge improvement.

Comment

Good point. Although I sort of still don’t get why it doesn’t just automatically run at way more FPS when you put a better cpu and gpu in there like it does on a computer but then I have zero understanding of how consoles do their stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Good point. Although I sort of still don’t get why it doesn’t just automatically run at way more FPS when you put a better cpu and gpu in there like it does on a computer but then I have zero understanding of how consoles do their stuff!
            Console versions of Skyrim have a locked framerate of 30fps. It can dip below, but not go above. This is to ensure that the consoles can maintain the resolution etc. On PC its likely the game has an unlocked framerate and a recommendation on the box of the minimum specs to run it at a reasonable level. They expect pc owners to manage it themselves.
            Quite a few console games are unlocked framerate, and the developers tell the console GPU itself to manage the framerate at around 30fps. It's these games that get an instant boost to framerate on the next gen because its a more powerful GPU. The PS5 for example will just say 'oh Ive got a tonne more bandwidth here so I'll run the game at the highest framerate the game can output' which tends to be hardcoded in the games at 60fps.
            The Xbox has something new, in that even on a locked framerate game, the GPU will 'invent' the missing frames, similar to upscalling, and run the game at 60fps anyway.

At least this is my understanding...

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Console versions of Skyrim have a locked framerate of 30fps. It can dip below, but not go above. This is to ensure that the consoles can maintain the resolution etc. On PC its likely the game has an unlocked framerate and a recommendation on the box of the minimum specs to run it at a reasonable level. They expect pc owners to manage it themselves.
              Quite a few console games are unlocked framerate, and the developers tell the console GPU itself to manage the framerate at around 30fps. It's these games that get an instant boost to framerate on the next gen because its a more powerful GPU. The PS5 for example will just say 'oh Ive got a tonne more bandwidth here so I'll run the game at the highest framerate the game can output' which tends to be hardcoded in the games at 60fps.
              The Xbox has something new, in that even on a locked framerate game, the GPU will 'invent' the missing frames, similar to upscalling, and run the game at 60fps anyway.

At least this is my understanding...
              Actually, the regular xbox One X version has a unofficial 60fps hack that worked well in many areas. The new series frame boost gives series S a solid 60fps at 1080p while the series X is almost a solid 60fps at 4K. Not bad considering these are just using the FPS boost mode and not new enhanced versions of the game.

I'm also playing Prey now with the FPS boost option. Solid 4K 60fps on the series X. All the laggy controls, screen tearing issues and other problems are now a thing of the past.

Comment

Have to give it to Microsoft. They are really pulling out all the stops for these older titles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                  Have to give it to Microsoft. They are really pulling out all the stops for these older titles.
                  Imagine if they out all that effort into producing new titles...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Actually, the regular xbox One X version has a unofficial 60fps hack that worked well in many areas.
                    I would guess the mod changes either the bit of code in the game that locks it at 30 or the bit of code that tells the GPU not to hold it back at 30

Comment

Has anyone bought the 1tb SSD that slot back into the console for a extra £200, I have filled my SSD but £200. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by arcnas View Post
                        Has anyone bought the 1tb SSD that slot back into the console for a extra £200, I have filled my SSD but £200. Wow
                        I am more than happy to juggle content I'm currently playing on my diddy 364GB Series S. It's working out fine to be honest. I have quite a lot of games on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          I would guess the mod changes either the bit of code in the game that locks it at 30 or the bit of code that tells the GPU not to hold it back at 30
                          Probably the cap limit. From what I understand it was the CPU which caused most issues on previous Xbox systems.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            I am more than happy to juggle content I'm currently playing on my diddy 364GB Series S. It's working out fine to be honest. I have quite a lot of games on there.
                            Same here. I store stuff that isn't series X optimised on an external 3TB drive. For those games the speed of USB is fine. But any series X games or optimised games go on to the internal drive. The price of those 1TB cards is just too much.

Comment

Same here as I have two external hard drives connected and I’m ok with this so far. I know it the generation price at £200 but it’s a horrific price for storage including the PS5 rip off NVMe sticks

Comment

Yes, but only because I had a ton of CEX credit burning a hole (and I've really embraced xbox this gen). It's silly money but it performs well for such a tiny plug in.

Comment

Working...
                                X