This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    If the availability of the Series S is better then that must mean they are making more of them?
    Not necessarily, this is a time boxed metric over black friday. It just means Series S was in better supply than the other two over the same period.

Series X is still selling out here in the UK immediately. I've seen a few shipments come into GAME, Microsoft and Smyths and they're gone in a matter of minutes... even the all access subscription ones.

Series S supply seems to have stabilised over the past 3-4 months. They've been in stock almost continuously looking across the retailers. I would guess the US is similar... so going into the holidays there's just more available right from the off, and everywhere.

I'm sure Forza / Halo is helping stimulate that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      If the availability of the Series S is better then that must mean they are making more of them?
      Correct. Sales of S and X are about 50/50 yet S is available whereas X is not, ergo they are able to make more S than X. Makes sense; lower end GPUs are more readily available than the high end stuff. What's weird is that all PS5s are the same spec other than the optical drive yet sony have sold double what the XBox Series has sold, combined. Maybe Sony have their own Fabrication plants that they can prioritise for PS5? I don't know, just a thought.

Comment

Sony just planned ahead more and ordered more from the plants thats all, I believe they were stock piling a year ahead of MS did for the SeriesX. It’s certainly been a crazy new generation, the amount of consoles they have all produced at record selling numbers is absolutely nuts, yet it doesn’t even seem like they have launched at all due to them basically being unicorns at this stage.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-11-2021, 17:39.

Comment

All of the news stories about production last year referred to it commencing during the summer, which is about what I’d expect (based on being a dork who reads a lot of tech news, rather than any actual knowledge) for a November launch.

No idea why Sony are able to produce more machines than MS (I’d be interested to know and suspect it’s a combination of reasons), but I don’t think it’s because Sony gave themselves a 1 year manufacturing head start.

It is nuts how hard the machines still are to find. I would never have guessed shortages would be this sustained.
          Last edited by wakka; 28-11-2021, 19:11.

Comment

Sony has been building hardware for longer than MS, maybe they have more connections? Who knows.

Comment

Is it possible that the Series X is more difficult to build? Split motherboard and all that.

Sony have already managed to revise the PS5 internals - is it because of its more "traditional" internal structure?

Comment

MS only ordered a certain amount of chips, once orders of that size are made you can’t just suddenly increase them, the chip plants have other obligations and contracts to fill etc, you can make all the other parts all you want but without the chips their just useless boxes. Sony placed a much bigger order with their contractors so have more consoles to sell, its not rocket science.

Comment

I think also MS had to look at the sales of the previous console and admit it was never going to sell the numbers PlayStation probably would, even with a fair wind, and order chips accordingly.
                  Though no one could predict the chip shortage, should they need to increase their stock.

Comment

Yep, it's great news for MS to get a surge in sales but on the broader scope a non-news day item. The least popular system outselling the out of stock more popular systems during sales event is pretty much a given.

Comment

Got my series X on Friday Thanks [MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION] and so far its pretty good, was super easy to set up and sign up for game-pass i added two years of gold via the cd keys sale and did the transfer up to gamepass ulitmate for a Quid deal so for £61 i got two years of gamepass ultimate which is an amazing deal considering if i where to just purchase the new Forza that would be a £60 purchase.

As someone who's not owned an Xbox for the last four years i had a lot of catching up to do, I set off downloading, Gears of War 5, the latest Forza Horizon, Pysconaughts 2, the Halo beta, State of decay 2, Hades and a ton of indie stuff, i also gave Battlefield 5 a go via Ea all access this was the first hitch though I have gigabit internet through virgin and it was painfully slow to download stuff compared to play-station network. Forza took a good 40 minutes to come down. So most of my first eve was just waiting for things to download and update.

I spent a lot of time with Forza over the weekend and it feels really good on the big screen, what impressed me was how seamless it is, i was thinking id have to start again as i played it on pc a bit but it picked up right where i was which was really nice, I'm still not super sure i like forzas setting as much as the last one but its very fun.

Battlefiled 5 via EA Access is full of cheaters, half the time when it showed who killed me they where behind a wall or under the map its an absolute **** show. If you turn off cross pay and get rid of the PC players it sort's this issue out. I'm sad to say that you cant do this with Halo Infinite, it badly needs an option to disable cross-play straight away, My first match i had some Scottish guy bragging about his aim bots and wall hacks and rapid fire glitches, not sure he realised he was on open com's as him and his mate where wrecking the other team and laughing and chatting openly about it.

Despite these issues i did have a cracking first weekend on the xbox and the kids absolutely loved it too, having access to things like Human fall flat, gangbeasts and all the other multiplayer stuff on gamepass is a brilliant system they where like kids in a candy store going through and choosing what to download , Having things like Hades, and Psychonauts 2 keeps me happy too as at present their are some top tier games on their and the value is unrivaled.

Xbox live rewards deserves a mention too, it kept poping up that id completed stuff and just one weekend of play saw me earn arrounf 2000 points, a five pound voucher is 5000 points.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 29-11-2021, 13:47.

Comment

New thread here:

Comment

Working...
                        X