Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave this a whirl on the Series X last night and well... it can pretty much play everything (at least everything I've tried so far)

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      Like it's totally unfathomable that some units could end up a bit dodgy.
      I used it as an example in our Stats lesson today. Kid was not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        The better question is why, when you are 4 weeks behind in your coursework, do you have time to play video games?
        Sounds more like a wetware issue than a hardware one

Comment

Was going to post this in the PS5 thread but figured here is more suited... really just loving the Series X right now. The store issues and slow downloads seem to have subsided and really its all bedded in nicely.

It does feel like an old friend in some regards, mainly due to the UI matching the previous consoles, but the sheer speed of things and the silent running you quickly grin when you boot it up. I don't think I could ever go back to loading times on the One.

I'm getting stuck into AC Valhalla but also really enjoying Gears Tactics, which I am playing on my PC remotely from the Series X using that developer game streaming app. Even doing that the latency feels massively improved over the old companion app and you're still getting those SSD load time benefits. It all just feels so fluid now.

With that developer app the game streaming tops out at 1080p60 @ 12-15Mbps and I know on the old companion app you could dig around in the config and tweak that to improve the stream quality (had mine set to 25Mbps) but I cannot see how to do that here but then its all a bit non-official so will wait for the public version.

Really cannot fault the hardware on the Series X, now I am just counting the days to Cyberpunk coming out.

Comment

You were going to post in the PS5 thread about how much you're enjoying your Series X?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              You were going to post in the PS5 thread about how much you're enjoying your Series X?
              Heheh... There was a question as to whether the excitement of the next gen consoles had died down now they are in hand etc... So not totally specific to the PS5 but I figured I would post in here instead.

Comment

I'll be buying my first next-gen game on Series S next (yes I said Series S *sticks chest out). Anyway, the game is Football Manager 21. What you mean "it's not next-gen"? Read the stats and weep!

Last edited by hudson; 24-11-2020, 17:52.

Comment

Double maybe triple post.
                  Last edited by hudson; 24-11-2020, 17:53.

Comment

Erm... Mods...

Comment

FM21 is bound to be next up on Digital Foundry! Those ray traced stats will look amazing at 120hz HDR.
                      Not everything needs to be all whizz bang shiny sine.

Comment

I went with the Shock Blue Series controller for my PC, mainly because of familiarity.

There are some custom drivers out there that can bring the latency all the way down to 0-1-2ms or so.

Comment

Didn't know there were custom drivers, the latency on all xbox controller is improved with the new firmware they rolled out recently as they re-wrote the whole protocol stack to shave off some milliseconds.

Not sure if that applies to just the custom MS wifi connection or bluetooth as well but for my PC I have the Xbox USB dongle anyway.

Comment

You might want to try the above drivers with your dongle, then. All it does is provide the option to push the polling rate of the device to 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              You might want to try the above drivers with your dongle, then. All it does is provide the option to push the polling rate of the device to 1000.
                              Cheers I will give it a look although right now streaming to the PC it "feels" really smooth playing any 60fps so while I am not sure of the latency figure exactly it seems spot on.

Comment

Pure speculation:

But the bigger news if that were true would be that Forza Motorsport 8 would be a 2022 release at the earliest

Comment

Working...
                                X