This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox Series S/X: Thread 03

Digital Foundry have taken a look at Forza Horizon 4 upgraded on Series S/X.

Key takeaways:
    -Series X and S versions are mostly the same bar resolution and some environmental texture qualities
    -Loading is more than halved compared to XBX
    -Series S has some very minor stuttering but not in a manner that's an issue
    -High quality shadows and motion blue as well as SSAO from the XBX versions quality mode are absent and represent the cutbacks made for Series S/X to maintain 60fps

DF contacted MS who said that SSAO may be reintroduced in a patch.

And as a follow up to the Retroarch on Series S/X information, some games have now been tested to see what the consoles can emulate:

Interesting one with Forza. It looks great on Series X, this coming from someone who's played it extensively on the same TV on a One X. I honestly haven't noticed the omissions mentioned by DF but then that's their job and it's great that they've compared to the PC and looped in Playground Games as well.

I doubt any internal team at MS is done patching and tweaking enhancements for the new consoles so I'm sure we will see some improvement over time.

Comment

I actually think the OneX version looks better than the seriesS version when I watched that.

Comment

Anybody had issues with Dirt 5 and the controller rumble not working?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          I actually think the OneX version looks better than the seriesS version when I watched that.
          Well it should given it has a dynamic 4K60 performance mode and the Series S is hitting 1080p60.

Comment

That's because the One X is more powerful than the Series S isn't it?

Comment

Love my Series Stupid. Forza Horizon 4 is keeping me happy. Next week sees the Halo MCC get an XS update. Same day as PS5 arrival! I'm looking forward to playing through all that in co-op.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                That's because the One X is more powerful than the Series S isn't it?
                It isn't, but it could start to feel that way. I fear that if it can't handle Forza from 2 years ago, how will it perform with a new Halo? Yes it'll be optimised, but in this definition optimised seems to mean compromised.

Comment

The 1X version should have higher resolution textures suited to the 4K target output. When zoomed in the 1X did look a bit better than the S. The lack of ambient occlusion on the Series consoles was odd though and MS have said it will be fixed.
                  I don’t know how much we should expect to see from a mildly enhanced game realistically. It’s not like it’s a remaster or remake just a little tweak here and there.

Comment

It isn't, but it could start to feel that way. I fear that if it can't handle Forza from 2 years ago, how will it perform with a new Halo? Yes it'll be optimised, but in this definition optimised seems to mean compromised.
                    Actually it is. One x is 6 teraflops vs 4 on the series S

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Actually it is. One x is 6 teraflops vs 4 on the series S
                      Stop talking nonsense brad. You're a clever man and know full well both are using different architecture; it like saying a CISC CPU's are better than RISC CPU's. Series S can do so much more than the Xbox One X on a technical level

Comment

Over 1200 listings on eBay from fecking scalpers - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...esc=0&_ipg=200

Grates my cheese that there are people who genuinely wanted one to use that didn't get one because of these people.

Worse than Mengele

Comment

Bloody hell I must say Bordlands 3 looks bloody amazing now and plays like a dream (consoles)

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Stop talking nonsense brad. You're a clever man and know full well both are using different architecture; it like saying a CISC CPU's are better than RISC CPU's. Series S can do so much more than the Xbox One X on a technical level
                            He's not talking nonsense really. If you're looking at just raw teraflops the One X was a bit of a beast and on paper edges the Series S. Of course that doesn't even begin to tell the story in a direct comparison because the Series S isn't bottlenecked by the old Jaguar CPU in the One X and is full RDNA 2 compliant.

The Series S can play Watchdogs 3 right now with ray tracing on, the One X simply wouldn't come close to that.

Here though, on Forza Horizon 4 the One X is still probably the better by a margin. It can run around (I think) 1800p when running in 4K performance mode but it's dynamic to hit the 60fps. The Series S can do that as well but is settled in at 1080p.

The key point here is the One X was a key platform during full development for FH4 where the Series S is simply getting a first draft patch to enhance it a bit. I'm sure if the developers spent more time with it they'd close that gap considerably but there ya go.

I'm sure we will come back to this one with later updates but trust me the Series S is no slouch it just depends on the game and I've owned a One X since launch.

It's only been a few days but I'm finding it depends on the effort put in by the developers. AC Valhalla for instance looks really nice on Series S, I think it's running at 1440p60? Looks pin sharp on my monitor. Same goes for Gears Tactics and pretty much all X/S enhanced titles.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered isn't as good though. The Series X sees a 4K30 visuals mode or a 1080p60 performance mode but the Series S gets no such option it's removed from the menu entirely and it seems there is no optimisation so I presume it's running like it's an Xbox One S.

It's like playing two different games in this example. The performance mode on Series X is decent but I'm sure it's just a lazy ass job because this game isn't pushing limits at all and I'd say it should be at least 1800p60 on Series X and 1080p60 on Series S.

So we're still going to see some lazy quick development jobs in the early months but equally the machine (Series S) is pretty capable of you put the effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              He's not talking nonsense really. If you're looking at just raw teraflops the One X was a bit of a beast and on paper edges the Series S. Of course that doesn't even begin to tell the story in a direct comparison because the Series S isn't bottlenecked by the old Jaguar CPU in the One X and is full RDNA 2 compliant..
                              He is talking nonsense. The Series wipes the floor with the One X It's like saying a 44MHz CISC chip is more powerful than a 27 Mhz RISC chip Totally different architectures. Ok so the Series S doesn't do 4K. Model 3, Model 2, PS couldn't do 704X480 screen res, like a Saturn. The Saturn more powerful than those?

The amount of trolling in the Xbox forum is silly at times

Comment

Working...
                              X