This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    Seriously some people take flight sims really far. Do quick Google of flight sim setups. One is basically an entire 747 cockpit in a room.
    I could show you something more ridiculous. I’ll post it later

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      Most of the aircraft in the game suit that type of flight stick, but damn, that's ugly looking. The Airbus A320 uses a joystick style stick, which the Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus edition is supposed to represent, but that hasn't been listed as supported on the Xbox.

Perhaps it looks better without the purple background.
      Pc version supports almost everything I think. I have a vkb stick and rudders and a thrustmaster A10 replica throttle

Comment

Looks like MS is going to let you play Series S/X exclusives on Xbox One consoles via cloud streaming.

Flight Simulator I would assume will be the first title that'll let you do this.

When they updated the Edge browser a month back it was technically possible for this but it's nice to see them confirm they'll support it officially. We also know they're upgrading the cloud servers to Series X hardware so that'll be the back end stuff that makes this possible.

Comment

I always had a suspicion they'd do this. MS azure but for gaming. I assumed the new console would be completely virtual, but they are going for both, which is the right way to do it. Not the Google way.

Comment

Not sure what there hoping to achieve on that other than providing a rubbish experience to games that would be fine on native hardware, by all accounts Flight Simulator is crippling to all but the best pc hardware, so hows this going to stream?

Comment

FlightSim is probably one of the best titles for streaming, it's slow paced and a higher-than-normal ping shouldn't affect the experience too much, and if they don't pull a Stadia (games looking worse than their non-remote counterparts), it could be a good alternative for those who can't afford a top-of-the-line PC or are playing on an S.

But they need to have a decent video compression, otherwise instruments and environment will look like a garbled mess.

Comment

If they nail it then in a way they needn't have bothered releasing the Series S at all

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  If they nail it then in a way they needn't have bothered releasing the Series S at all
                  I wonder if they will phase it out over the next few years if the streaming takes off if not then its still a viable system, their was talk of streaming sticks and building gamepass into tvs, too wasn't their?

Its quite a clever idea to remove the barrier to the hardware, they have the library and the game-pass service running successfully so it makes sense to go down this avenue, its a lot simpler proposition than stadia too as you don't have to throw down £60 on top of a subscription service just to play a new game.

Comment

Yep, it'll be interesting to see where it lands once XCloud is finalised as in theory it could leave Series S in a fairly redundant position where a small streaming hub package for a much lower price could do a similar job in most instances

Comment

Nah, the Series S is so cheap and cloud gaming doesn't solve everything and isn't for everyone given it's reliance on quality bandwidth.

If anything they need all tiers and options catered for which it appears they are doing.

Stadia put all it's eggs in one basket and failed. Here I can see some happy to stream next gen games, others wanting to upgrade to Series S and others Series X...

I personally use cloud sparingly when other options aren't available. It works but it's not a replacement for the console experience.

Comment

Yep, it'll be interesting to see where it lands once XCloud is finalised as in theory it could leave Series S in a fairly redundant position where a small streaming hub package for a much lower price could do a similar job in most instances
                        They talked about a TV stick device so really they're just giving a range of ways into the same ecosystem and I guess with this news it means not leaving the current installed userbase behind either.

I think it could be quite savvy given current stock levels on next gen... At least in the short term.

Comment

Dedicated hardware will never be replaced with streaming for anything other than very old games. Even then, can you get a 1:1 experience with 15year old games? I haven’t tried enough but id say no.

Might work for very basic games but otherwise will always be a sub par experience.

Comment

If you're sensitive to input lag, then the experience is definitely worse, but I wouldn't call it sub par (the poorest part is the loading times currently which will improve with the Series X server blades that are coming online soon). I wouldn't want it as a console replacement at all (the idea of a streaming only future depresses me), but I do use to determine whether I want to spend the bandwidth downloading 50GB+ games locally - it's certainly enough for casual play, especially if you're not used to the twitch gaming of keyboard/mouse. I wouldn't want to stream on anything less than wifi 5 due to lag, wired for the best experience.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 16-06-2021, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              If you're sensitive to input lag, then the experience is definitely worse, but I wouldn't call it sub par (the poorest part is the loading times currently which will improve with the Series X server blades that are coming online soon). I wouldn't want it as a console replacement at all (the idea of a streaming only future depresses me), but I do use to determine whether I want to spend the bandwidth downloading 50GB+ games locally - it's certainly enough for casual play, especially if you're not used to the twitch gaming of keyboard/mouse. I wouldn't want to stream on anything less than wifi 5 due to lag, wired for the best experience.
                              Yeah I've used it for some games and it's worked really well. Dead Cells, Lonely Mountain Downhill and some others were great but once you start streaming something like a fighter or anything requiring precise input you can feel it's not a great experience...

It's still playable, but not as it should be.

If anything though having streaming available directly on the consoles means older hardware can experience new exclusives and people can opt to stream to save bandwidth or maybe even just stream whilst the full game is downloading in the queue.

Comment

There does seem to be a disparity between MS working to reduce input lag on their controllers and implementing a streaming service.

Comment

Working...
                                X