Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    The latest PSNow additions

Still think PSNow needs to be £5 a month these questions also. Why not part of PS+, why not use the PS1,PS2,PSP, Vita catalogues the mind boggles.

Comment

What's everyone's thoughts about the pricing of this?
      £30 for the upgrade and DLC I think is steep. But I'm not against them charging for it. Frankly I'm amazed we've been getting free upgrades anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        What's everyone's thoughts about the pricing of this?
        £30 for the upgrade and DLC I think is steep. But I'm not against them charging for it. Frankly I'm amazed we've been getting free upgrades anyway.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/gh...s-dishonorable
        I think charging for extra content is fine but all things considered the RRP buying it is steep to begin with as is the upgrade cost.

I guess it looks worse when other developers aren't charging anything for similar upgrades. Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus recently did this for instance. The content might not be comparable but it doesn't help matters and neither does Sony charging a premium for all first party content.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          I think charging for extra content is fine but all things considered the RRP buying it is steep to begin with as is the upgrade cost.

I guess it looks worse when other developers aren't charging anything for similar upgrades. Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus recently did this for instance. The content might not be comparable but it doesn't help matters and neither does Sony charging a premium for all first party content.
          I don't know if I made it up, but didn't Sony at the start of the ps4 generation say their exclusive games would be $10 less.
          Anyway, I wasn't completely enamored by Ghosts so I'll wait for an inevitable price drop.

Comment

Its fine. If MS want to start charging as well thats fine too. We’ve had it so good this new gen its unbelievable, people need to stop expecting everything for free.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Its fine. If MS want to start charging as well thats fine too. We’ve had it so good this new gen its unbelievable, people need to stop expecting everything for free.
              I'm fine with them charging for it... I'm just saying in comparison to other upgrade releases it feels a bit like gouging given it's full RRP on what is effectively a re-release with added bits.

As Cassius mentioned I think most would just wait it out for a price drop. Even if they just shaved £10 off across the board it would feel fairer.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                I'm fine with them charging for it... I'm just saying in comparison to other upgrade releases it feels a bit like gouging given it's full RRP on what is effectively a re-release with added bits.

As Cassius mentioned I think most would just wait it out for a price drop. Even if they just shaved £10 off across the board it would feel fairer.
                look at it from a value perspective £30 for a small upgrade to a game you already bought or 3 months of everything on gamepass?

The metrics must show a big jump in new game sales due to a next-gen upgrade why else would games like Metro do this? so this is Sony just being ****ty here. They really need to stop acting like consumers will put up with anything as Microsoft is stealing a march on their market share and can do no wrong at the moment. conversaly it feels like misstep after mistep on PS5.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 05-07-2021, 09:37.

Comment

If I understand it correctly, it's basically a chunky DLC side quest with a new area to explore for £30 on PS5 and £20 on PS4?

That seems OK, that's pretty standard pricing for a large scale DLC like that - similar to the Witcher 3's Blood and Wine on release, or the Uncharted 4 one.

I don't really get the big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    If I understand it correctly, it's basically a chunky DLC side quest with a new area to explore for £30 on PS5 and £20 on PS4?

That seems OK, that's pretty standard pricing for a large scale DLC like that - similar to the Witcher 3's Blood and Wine on release, or the Uncharted 4 one.

I don't really get the big deal.
                    its a dlc is similar to say Horizon Frozen wilds which cost £15 on release, the issue here is locking the performance upgrades of the base game into this dlc and charging an extra £10 for it on ps5, 4k 60fps and proper PS5 haptic feedback and adaptive triggers support costs an extra where as these things are free upgrades on 99% of other games on series x and PS5.

Comment

I haven’t got anything positive to say about it, it’s a shame Sony is treating its audience like **** but at this rate I think they all have Stockholm syndrome and will accept anything Sony says as gospel.

All I known is if EA or Activision pulled this **** people would rightly be taking a huge **** on them.
                      It’s £15.99 to “upgrade” the PS4 version to the PS4 Director's Cut and a further £9.00 to upgrade that version to the PS5 version, or £69.99 for stand alone PS5 version. It’s probably a pre-owned tax cause they know everyone will grab a pre-owned copy now but you will still have to pay the toll.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        its a dlc is similar to say Horizon Frozen wilds which cost £15 on release, the issue here is locking the performance upgrades of the base game into this dlc and charging an extra £10 for it on ps5, 4k 60fps and proper PS5 haptic feedback and adaptive triggers support costs an extra where as these things are free upgrades on 99% of other games on series x and PS5.
                        Ah, I see, I had missed that subtlety.

Yeah, I agree, that's a swizz. You should get the performance upgrades gratis, and then only have to pay for the actual content.

EA and Activision are at this nonsense as well. I had to pay £10 to 'upgrade' my disc PS4 Tony Hawk's 1+2, which unlocked 4K/60 on PS5. Didn't get any additional content, either.

Comment

Ah, I see, I had missed that subtlety.

Yeah, I agree, that's a swizz. You should get the performance upgrades gratis, and then only have to pay for the actual content.

EA and Activision are at this nonsense as well. I had to pay £10 to 'upgrade' my disc PS4 Tony Hawk's 1+2, which unlocked 4K/60 on PS5. Didn't get any additional content, either.
                          It really is a swizz when its just stuff like a resolution boost and a frame rate bump, as essentialy this work has already been done when you factor in that the pc version of this game launched with 4k 60fps support depending on what graphics card you where using.

Comment

Agreed. Of note with Tony Hawk's, the upgrade was free if you had the digital version. So it was effectively a tax on used disc sales.

Comment

Although I think it is good for the consumer to get stuff for free, this stuff is not free to produce.
                              I think some of these improvements, although not free to produce, should be seen as "patches" but some other parts, I haveno real problem with it being marketed as an "upgrade" with cost attached.

Sony (and Nintendo) are in a difficult position with XBOX competition as MS are willing to lose (and have lost a lot of money) on the XB project - iirc only the 360 era was (particularly) profitable for them. It is really hard to compete with a loss leader. It prompts comparison which does not look great.

Comment

Agreed. Of note with Tony Hawk's, the upgrade was free if you had the digital version. So it was effectively a tax on used disc sales.
                                I must have missed that with Tony Hawk. I was tempted to pick it up before the next gen stuff came along but I was annoyed they announced it was extra... I've been holding out on it waiting for a price drop.

As for Sony. Between this and the indie developer recently chatting about how they charge $25k for promoting in the store I think Sony really need to take a look at themselves.

They've got so much right where it counts and then they're ruining it with some stupid anti consumer practices at the tail end. Hopefully they'll change some policies but right now some of it is pretty crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X