• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
    (Sega fan at heart)
    I guessed from your username

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I guessed from your username
      Haha, Sonic has lost his way now though . Although Sonic Mania was a banger, where's the 2nd game!?

Comment

Tried my first PS4 game on the 5 last night. I didn't connect with God of War when it first came out for some reason but I really enjoyed it last night. Performance mode now delivers a solid 60fps and it's pretty amazing. Stunning looking game.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Tried my first PS4 game on the 5 last night. I didn't connect with God of War when it first came out for some reason but I really enjoyed it last night. Performance mode now delivers a solid 60fps and it's pretty amazing. Stunning looking game.
          Unless your running the base version from disk without an update for GoW it’s actually running around 50fps. Which is still smooth as silk, needs an update for ps5 to return it to an unlocked frame rate again.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-11-2020, 09:08.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good headphones amp I can use for the PS5? I'd like one that takes the sound direct from the console ideally.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Can anyone recommend a good headphones amp I can use for the PS5? I'd like one that takes the sound direct from the console ideally.
              Good thread here on resetera for PS5 compatible DAC/AMPs: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5...bility.324235/

You do need something that is a USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) device, or can work in this mode.

Personally I would shout out for the Creative SoundblasterX G6. Currently £87.99 on Amazon (won't be this price for ever) - normally £130 (from Creative Europe). Creative also sell B Stock for £70.

I've recently taken delivery of one of these plus a Fiio K5 Pro (won't work with the PS5 via USB). It's a corking little device; highly portable for use with a laptop, SBX software so some of the best if not the the best VSS going, and confirmed as working with the PS5 over USB. Very capable little device. Probably one of the best PC options too for gaming. Also 'audiophile' grade device too. This easily betters the likes of the Fiio E10K/K3.

Their G3 would be a cheaper option for c.£40 but no where near as versatile, powerful or clear. But an option for USB audio. Albeit their might not be much between the G3 and DAC in the Dual sense.

There are reports of the Fiio E10K (£59) being quiet with the PS5 (as it was with the PS4) so I don't think that's an option. And the K3 doesn't work with the PS5.
              Last edited by Digfox; 27-11-2020, 10:13.

Comment

Thanks that's a big help. Very tempted by the Soundblaster at that price.

Comment

Thanks that's a big help. Very tempted by the Soundblaster at that price.
                  It's a very impressive little box. There is a subtle difference between the VSS vs. the X7 but not many would pick up on it, although I've used it mostly on PC so far. There isn't much between it and the Fiio K5 Pro (K5 is a bit clearer, with more power and better AMP) that I bought at the same time (or indeed my old X7).

It can decode Dolby Digital via optical in for the PS3/4/360/XBO machines (and newer but caveats). And the software is feature rich although it will need plugging into a PC to change options. Can do 7.1/5.1 VSS downmixing in hardware or run in direct mode and work with Dolby Atmos, DTS, Tempest 3D etc. Also a mic input that should be crystal clear (haven't tested this part yet).

Only negative that comes up are the odd driver issues, and odd crackling (which I think stems from poor USB power/interference), but I haven't had any of that. My Creative SB X7 had the odd driver issue over the last 2.5 years but never a major problem (i.e. 100% vol sometimes on cold starts, or occasional slow vol wheel). Fairly regular drivers and FW support.

I bought it for £99.99 2 or so weekends ago. So £87 is a steal.

Comment

Comment

Most of the DAC/AMPs on that page will not work with a direct USB connection to the PS5 - which I believe was the request (although maybe I read it wrong).

Although there are some great DAC/AMPs on that list, most of them will only work via Optical Out (either HDMI audio extractor or TV optical out) with a PS5. Which means no Tempest 3D audio atm or could have other probs (i.e. TV induced latency etc.).
                      Last edited by Digfox; 27-11-2020, 11:37.

Comment

Yeah, it's a good list. The Chord Mojo is especially good. I've been lucky enough to own a few Chord Electronics components over the years and the level of timing and resolution is always incredible. The craftsmanship in their higher end gear is second to none, akin to electronic jewelry. Build quality ain't bad either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQxshtTShY

Comment

I think it's one of those generic 'click' lists more certain mainstream sites do. I.e. there is a massive gulf in price and features of those 12 or so selections. For example a near £2,000 DAC/AMP sat alongside portable devices. If you're looking for a c.£100-200 DAC/AMP or a portable DAC/AMP for use on the go, I think there are much more refined lists out there.

The problem is the PS5 has really poor USB Audio support (the Series X|S has nothing) so I think it boils down to whether you want something that works with USB directly (maybe with Mic support too) that can use Tempest 3D currently or whether good stereo headphone sound is fine. That's the current challenge although it might be better when/if Sony adds support for Tempest 3D audio via HDMI.

Lots of choices and options, will depend on budget and use case. Also headphones being used will matter too.

PS. I've seen reviews of the Chord Mojo on Zeos's Youtube channel. And lol at the video - I wasn't expecting that.
                          Last edited by Digfox; 27-11-2020, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                            Most of the DAC/AMPs on that page will not work with a direct USB connection to the PS5 - which I believe was the request (although maybe I read it wrong).

Although there are some great DAC/AMPs on that list, most of them will only work via Optical Out (either HDMI audio extractor or TV optical out) with a PS5. Which means no Tempest 3D audio atm or could have other probs (i.e. TV induced latency etc.).
                            Yeah that's right, I'd like an amp that can take the sound straight from the USB. I did look at HDMI extractors too and then getting an amp to run from that but it seems like alot of effort.

Comment

Yeah that's right, I'd like an amp that can take the sound straight from the USB. I did look at HDMI extractors too and then getting an amp to run from that but it seems like alot of effort.
                              What scares me about HDMI extractors is that I've heard a real mixture of reports on whether they induce latency in the audio signal. And of course none of them support HDMI 2.1 and therefore will strip VRR/HDR/120hz@4K out of the video signal. It sounds like Astro's £35 HDMI extractor is the safest bet (albeit, probably is just an OEM part). Although it has been in and out of stock.

The various Sony and Samsung TV's I've owned over the years add latency when using optical out (and I know this is true of other TV manufacturer's models) - although more often than not when passing through Bitstream or DTS. Although that might not be an issue for some depending on TV model.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 27-11-2020, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                                What scares me about HDMI extractors is that I've heard a real mixture of reports on whether they induce latency in the audio signal. And of course none of them support HDMI 2.1 and therefore will strip VRR/HDR/120hz@4K out of the video signal. It sounds like Astro's £35 HDMI extractor is the safest bet (albeit, probably is just an OEM part). Although it has been in and out of stock.

The various Sony and Samsung TV's I've owned over the years add latency when using optical out (and I know this is true of other TV manufacturer's models) - although more often than not when passing through Bitstream or DTS. Although that might not be an issue for some depending on TV model.
                                I skipped the Astro hdmi adapter as it limits you to 60hrz, only really Dirt 5 that's offering 120hrz so may not be a big thing, for most stuff. you can get a discount if you put in the serial number from your Astro base station when its in stock. I got my Astro's up and running by plugging the optical straight into the TV weirdly the 2020 Sony TV department still thinks having optical ports is a thing unlike the PlayStation department.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 27-11-2020, 13:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X