Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arcnas View Post
    Well sony better have something out this winter or ill play Forza on gamepass that i paid pennies for. Then ill buy something on Ps5 anyway .
    Fixed that for you bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
      Stray is a 2022 title now, was delayed yesterday. Looks really nice from the gameplay they showed off though.
      Bugger missed that one!

Comment

Bugger missed that too as i ff the vid to the next one quickly. Oh well not like I’ve actually completed any of the games I’ve been buying so this will be the year of the back catalogue then.

Comment

Yeah it's looking thin on the ground now for Sony.
          But there is Abandoned coming, and that's apparently metal gear and P.T and Contra all in one so...

Comment

There's Sifu, Solar Ash, F.I.S.T, Axiom Verge 2, JETT The Far Shore and then you have you Ghost of Tushy and Death Stranding Director Cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              There's Sifu, Solar Ash, F.I.S.T, Axiom Verge 2, JETT The Far Shore and then you have you Ghost of Tushy and Death Stranding Director Cuts.
              SIFU is 2022...

On a different note, tests of games on the M.2 ssd expansions show load times are indistinguishable from the internal drive.

Comment

At least I gots Game Pass (leeroy Jenkins voice)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Two fold probably:
                  1: it's cheaper and Sony have had bites in the ass before with proprietary memory sticks.
                  2: The PS5s usp as far as Sonys thinking, is its memory speed which they might not want to compromise. Hence the need for it to be over a specific speed
                  This is true and yet I have been watching the expansion cards for Series consoles dropping in price.

Lowest I've seen them at retail has been £175ish such as Curry's recently and on eBay I've seen them go as low as £135.

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Seaga...-127635-2958-0

£150 plus post.

I realise Sony needs that higher speed requirement to be as capable as the internal drive but whilst they're obviously trying to protect themselves from the variance of performance across 3rd party drives their business disclaimers are a little unsettling.

"Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s."

So even if the drive has above that speed requirement it's not necessarily going to work as well as the internal drive? Again it sounds like it's just company butt coverage but it's not what you want to hear when thinking about shelling out £££ on more storage.

Comment

What is all this mean?

Comment

Guesswork but I think they're implying that as this generation gets into its later days the difference in performance between PS5 and Series X will widen with PS5 getting a bigger lead due to the way it's designed to transfer data at fast speeds. Seems it's a callback on the old argument that TF's won't decide the more powerful machine - they're essentially saying MS will only be able to maintain performance equality/advantage by relying on everyone going out to buy a Series X2 in 3-4 years time

Comment

It's hard to say at this point but I suspect both consoles will get there in different ways.
                        On ps5 you might enter a room, the console will deload everything outside the room to put maximum effort into the graphics of the room, because it knows if you turn around and leave the room it can reload it all in a blink of an eye.
                        On Xbox, with compression you'll actually get upward of 8GB/s, so it's not slow, but it might just lower the render and poly count of the exterior of the room instead and brute force the graphics with its extra 2TF.

Ps: PS5 can get upward of 17GB/s with compression.

Comment

Yeah this.

The anti-xbox crowd persist to use this as an example of how PS5 is superior but the reality is both machines can do the sort of tech displayed in demos by playing to their strengths.

You'll get first party titles that will play to each consoles strengths and I guess 3rd parties probably won't. But it's incorrect to point it out as a huge deficit because it simply isn't.

Both these consoles are pretty evenly matched to be honest.

Comment

It's doubly moot because if MS put out a Series X2 in order to address performance down the line it'd need to be a notable lift meaning Sony would likely knock out a PS5 Pro anyway which would just move the attention away from any differences anyway.

Perfectly happy for mid-gen refreshes not to come out this gen though.

Comment

I think the main battleground is going to be PC. All Xbox games work on high spec pcs regardless, but any ps5 exclusives may mandate a high speed SSD to play the game. Rift apart wouldn't work without one for example.
                              So pc players will be on the sharp end of both, and they'll decide which they prefer; the fast loading or the brute force approach.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if that's partly why Sony snapped up Nixxis, given it's very unlikely adoption of high speed SSD is going to be widespread on PC anytime soon they probably want expert staffers who can port with solid workarounds (even if it means extending loading times in places)

Comment

Working...
                                X