Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Your not going to be able to copy the data back again. YouÂ’ll need to start over. Unfortunately.
    Yes, thankfully I watched a guide on youtube before commencing, thus avoiding further and unnecessary delay but I still haven't played Demon's Souls because the game's 20GB update and is still downloading along with several other updates. I'm confident the machine will provide some fine gaming experiences over the next few years but, so far, it's been the most joyless first few days of owning a console, I did expect days of installing and transferring and downloading and updating so it wasn't a surprise but it doesn't make it any less boring.

I think it a hideous looking machine, much bigger and uglier than I anticipated and the optical drive is incredibly noisy which renders blu ray movie playback almost pointless (I say almost because I find placing a material like blutac, bubblewrap or a mouse mat underneath the cheap bundled stand helps dampen the vibrations caused by the blu ray drive).

Even installing PS4 games isn't straightforward, when I insert a disc, it doesn't automatically install it, and if I press 'play game', it says it can't find the app, so I have to delete the game from the home screen then reinsert the disc and then it installs it automatically. Very strange and illogical. The homescreen seems like a step backwards too with very little customisation. So, yes, I'm very underwhelmed with the system so far. I much prefer Nintendo console launches where ten minutes after unpacking the machine, you're sat down playing a game with a big grin on your face.

All that said, I am looking forward to playing Demon's Souls, and plenty of older PS4 games without hearing the PS4 Pro fans revving up every few minutes.

Comment

BlueRays: ive found some are noisy and some are not. Ive only got 5x4k ultra blue rays to try, blade runner 2049 was really noisy, other 4 were fine and I couldn’t hear them once the movie was playing. I honestly think its the sticker on the disk causing an imbalance in the drive.

Installing: make sure to leave the system to start the install automatically, clicking on the install now button or pausing it, starting it again appears to be the culprit of most install errors.

Second drives. You can only have 1 in use at a time after the recent update that enables cold storage for PS5 games. So if you planned to have an ssd for PS4 games and a large hdd for cold storage of ps5 games, no dice, 1 at a time. However you can have a second formatted and usable, just not both at same time.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 16-04-2021, 12:52.

Comment

Still waiting to buy one...I almost did the last time Amazon had stock, but got cold feet. There hasn't been a decent restock at any retailer since. I don't count EBgames since getting someone else's personal info while in the queue to buy.

Comment

I’m waiting for the PS5 slim, but that’s because I was born in the northwest and I’m tight.

I’m hoping they’ll have folders by then. And a larger SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
            I’m waiting for the PS5 slim, but that’s because I was born in the northwest and I’m tight.

I’m hoping they’ll have folders by then. And a larger SSD.
            And maybe some ps5 games...lol

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              And maybe some ps5 games...lol
              At least itle be a shorter wait than SeriesX games appearing.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                At least itle be a shorter wait than SeriesX games appearing.
                Both the launches are a disgrace! I think the Wii u had more new stuff by this point and it was pretty dreadful. I’m all for better performance and updates but I think Microsoft have completely mesmerised people with gamepass as a lazy substitute for ‘new’ content and I really don’t know what Sony are doing, if anyone can enlighten me?

Comment

I'm the same, I really wanted to grab a PS5 but the shortages and lack of any games I want to play means I'm happy to wait. It doesn't help that it's easily the ugliest modern console I've ever seen so a revised slim model might sway me.

Maybe when Ragnarok comes out I'll crumble but until then I'm good

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    I'm the same, I really wanted to grab a PS5 but the shortages and lack of any games I want to play means I'm happy to wait. It doesn't help that it's easily the ugliest modern console I've ever seen so a revised slim model might sway me.

Maybe when Ragnarok comes out I'll crumble but until then I'm good
                    I've got used to the look of it. My brother was absolutely blown away by the size of it when he saw it.
                    In a living room it's going to look silly, but in my office tucked in its not so bad.
                    Considering the size mostly fan and heatsink, they just need to invent a better way of cooling and you can shrink it right down.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      I've got used to the look of it. My brother was absolutely blown away by the size of it when he saw it.
                      In a living room it's going to look silly, but in my office tucked in its not so bad.
                      Considering the size mostly fan and heatsink, they just need to invent a better way of cooling and you can shrink it right down.
                      It's my own fault. I love minimalist tech that just blends in and the PS5 is the opposite of that. If I did grab one I would definitely be swapping the blades for black to tone it down.

I went to my cousin's house a few weeks back and he has one and I seriously cannot get over how massive it is.

Either way, Sony will eventually sell me one when a big hitter exclusive drops and it's too juicy to pass on, or a slim model comes out which is nicer looking. Or both...

Comment

I dig it. Also it looks a lot worse with the blades changed to black, imo. A bit weirdly bondage.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                          Both the launches are a disgrace! I think the Wii u had more new stuff by this point and it was pretty dreadful. I’m all for better performance and updates but I think Microsoft have completely mesmerised people with gamepass as a lazy substitute for ‘new’ content and I really don’t know what Sony are doing, if anyone can enlighten me?
                          I was being sarcastic.

Demons Souls.
                          Miles Morales.
                          Sackboy Adventures.

Is a discrace? For launch? Not including the multi platform games. Was a great launch.

Comment

On a different note, i think Sony stealth sorted the disk spin up on the hour issue, at least for some. Had a disk in the drive since the firmware update and it spins up on console start up and now, then nothing (unless the game needs to for whatever reason).

So thats an ofd one. Lots reporting no difference though, so something has been tried on Sonys side at least.

Comment

I think it's a small miracle we got any launch last year let alone both companies within a few weeks of each other. Launch titles aside I just think it's great we've got them and I'm just patiently waiting. I don't really care if any major title gets delayed given the circumstances...

Comment

I've never been a big exclusives game player. I'm more then happy to use the PS5 and a PS4 with extra grunt right now. I have a tonne of stuff still to play.
                                If I had gone with xbox last gen, I'd have got the seriesX to do the same thing. I think most will at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X