No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, my gaming interest was really waning until PS5 release. Although I put a few hundred hours into Mario Tennis Aces and Hades I really wasn't doing much 'proper' gaming on the Xbox 1. Decided to switch to the PS5 and I'm now gaming every night, I love the machine and am really lucky to be in a position where I'm playing all of the PS4 games you've already played, they've all come for 'free' in PS Collection in their best coat of sheen. I'm probably going to be back to earth with a bump once I've done them all but hopefully the big hitter PS5 games will be here by then.
    I've played a few of the PS5 games and really looking forward to what the new controller will do with them. Astrobot was fun and when I switch from the PS4 back catalogue to Sackboy with the kids, I'm still enamoured with the little feedback and controller sound touches.

I can see why the hype is missing from others though. None of my mates have been able to get one and they've all had a PS4 as well, so not in same position as me. Really cr*p situation with the scalping that is not a good look for anyone, hopefully it sorts itself out but hard to see it changing in the short term when supported by the likes of CEX..

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Supply and demand. I don't know any of my friends who have one, don't remember seeing much if any advertising regarding them, don't hear anything about any stand out games on them. Maybe my Covid 19 bubble is just more secure than I thought and nothing including new gen console news is getting in.
      Demons souls is pretty stand out for a launch game, its the first game I've platinumed in a long time too. All this talk of next gen power is a bit strange as what we're really getting is Current gen PC gaming high specs in a box for your living room (at a fraction of the price of a PC set up) what we are seeing is last gen games like Destiny 2 and No mans sky that have had vast improvements on PC ported over to PS5 via next gen updates.

Stability Resolution and loading speeds are the real order of the day for PS5 and Sereis X and as boring at that may sound it makes certain games infinitely more playable
      Last edited by Lebowski; 26-01-2021, 10:43.

Comment

I recon if Sony had 20m units for launch to sell it would be approaching selling out already, the hype has certainly been very real, just not on the high street like most of us are used to.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-01-2021, 10:07.

Comment

I think the demand is clearly outstripping supply but I understand the feeling of a lack of hype. That is because much of what the PS5 is delivering right now are QoL improvements and that is good for those that have them but difficult to see in the press and get excited. The standout experience of the DualSense can clearly not be properly shown in video so that element is missing too. I have not tried it but want to.

Worth saying, IRL, while the PS4 was hugely successful at launch and sold very quickly - I did not get one until a year or so later and was still the first of my IRL friends to get one. I waited until white was available as there were no killer experiences (for me) waiting. I will do the same with PS5 probably (who knows what colour?).

Comment

I suppose that’s why right now I feel no desire for one, a remake of a PS3 game no matter how well it runs isn’t going to change my mind.

I’ll no doubt but one once whatever Naughty Dog bring to it is out, but that’s a long way off.

I’m glad you’re all enjoying your systems but it definitely feels like the most muted new gen arrival I can remember.

Comment

It'll be nice to make the jump to PS5 from my launch PS4, but right now it doesn't make sense for me to get one (even if I could) as I'd literally only be playing PS4 games on it.

Comment

I finished Resi4 on mine last night and will probably play Resi0 next so that's GC games on my PS5!

Comment

Had my first PS5 oops happen earlier today . Turned it on and the sign in screen was split in two with a thick black line between the two halves . Turned it off then back on and it seemed fine after that , hope it’s not an omen

Comment

I suppose that’s why right now I feel no desire for one, a remake of a PS3 game no matter how well it runs isn’t going to change my mind.

I’ll no doubt but one once whatever Naughty Dog bring to it is out, but that’s a long way off.

I’m glad you’re all enjoying your systems but it definitely feels like the most muted new gen arrival I can remember.
                    I think that's from your own perspective though if you haven't been following the release all year or got caught up in the excitement of preorders then i could imagine it would feel quite muted with the lack of store promotion and the locked down nature of the launch, the mainstream media has been following it though and the absolutely rabid prices online and in places like CEX have made it feel anything but muted for me. trying to secure a preorder and beat the bots saw me end up sat on three of the bloody things at one point.

Comment

I had a confirmed preorder with Amazon which I cancelled.

Comment

It's more a continuation of the ps4, which isn't a bad thing really. I'm enjoying mine. The controller is far far better to use and although I'm playing ps4 games still, they all run much better. I guess if you had a Pro already, I'd hold off. I don't know if the DualSense works on the ps4, but if it does I'd get one and carry on for now.

Comment

I had a confirmed preorder with Amazon which I cancelled.
                          Perhaps your just getting past the point in your life where the excitement of a new console isn't their. It kept me going through 2020 and was a bright spot of something to get excited about and look forward too.

Comment

Oh I'm definitely old.

I think the excitement would be there if there were games to be excited about, but for my personal tastes there aren't right now. PS4 was the same right enough, and I bought one on launch day only to wonder why I bothered. (Even though it obviously went on to offer amazing games) I think the improvements in generations now aren't as startling any more, so I'm more than happy to wait until the PS5 has a decent library of new games until I buy. And a redesign to something not as goppingly ugly would be great as well.

Comment

Yeah we're well past the days of new consoles being these epochal shifts.

I remember having a PS4 preordered about 9 months in advance, and then eventually cancelling it because the software just wasn't there. It wasn't until Witcher 3, 18 months in, that I finally felt it was worth getting a machine.

The PS5 has been much more appealing for me right from the off. I'd never played Demon's Souls before but loved Dark Souls III, so that's been a terrific launch game for me, with 50+ happy hours spent so far to complete NG. And there's a really quite impressive first year lined up - Ratchet and Clank, GT7, God of War, Horizon. PS4's first year was a bit of a nonsense by comparison.

Comment

Oh I'm definitely old.

I think the excitement would be there if there were games to be excited about, but for my personal tastes there aren't right now. PS4 was the same right enough, and I bought one on launch day only to wonder why I bothered. (Even though it obviously went on to offer amazing games) I think the improvements in generations now aren't as startling any more, so I'm more than happy to wait until the PS5 has a decent library of new games until I buy. And a redesign to something not as goppingly ugly would be great as well.
                                I'm for the most part playing better versions of PS4 games, the quality of life improvements make a lot of this stuff which was bordering on unacceptable even on a pro play a hell of a lot better now, Take a game like destiny 2 which has had a full ps5 upgrade, (Fov Sliders, 60fps 4k HDR ect and various filters and graphic options that you can tweak) and super speedy loading times, loading times where horrendous on ps4 2+ minutes to load into certain areas and you used to get frame-rates tanking itself regularly in the six man raids.

i suppose my point is for me the QOL improvements for a system i use so much was a no brainier for me and while their is a lack of new stuff their is no lack of devs taking ps4 games that have played better on pc and porting those improvements over to the ps5. No mans sky, Control and Destiny being the main ones ive engaged with.
                                Last edited by Lebowski; 27-01-2021, 12:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X