No announcement yet.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked this up on Series X a few weeks ago mainly due to it being on sale, having extra rewards that credit £5 back and me having credit saved as well... Ended up costing me a tenner and I thought it would make a decent Xmas game.

Have to say I am pleasantly entertained. The campaign doesn't take itself too seriously and looks gorgeous (60fps ray traced) but it's the 120fps multiplayer that's got me hooked.

I've always liked the Black Ops entries more and this just feels like a total blast to play on all modes. I don't think it looks graphically as sharp as MW last year but it's amazing as a twitch shooter hitting 120fps.

The only real negative for me has been the map selection. It's slim pickings but the new DLC has added a few more decent options and so I hope it just gets better with time.

Comment

Multi-player is so addictive ... too addictive ... need to take a break: going to bed with sore eyes, ringing ears and images of peeps in my crosshairs isn't healthy /old

Comment

I'm enjoying multiplayer a lot. Not because it's anything new but because it's old school COD without too much complexity. Good stuff.

Comment

I am also loving this. Done a Prestige, got a key, no idea what to do with it. Getting to know what guns for what situations is fun and the unlock loop is insanely addictive. The only thing I can't get on with is sniper rifles.

Started the Zombies mode too which is massively confusing to begin with but now I'm getting into the groove of understanding it I am loving it too!

The only thing that might stop me going for the plat is the Dead Ops Arcade mode....

Comment

Really enjoying watching a group of folks on here rediscover the digital crack that is COD multiplayer

That was me last year with MW. I got badly hooked on it after not playing a COD since the early part of the decade.

I'm actually trying to avoid Cold War this year so I can play other stuff. I smashed the free week they ran just before Xmas though

Comment

I just didn't get on with MW. The campaign was passable (though I cannot remember a single thing about the story) and had some nice set pieces but the multiplayer I think felt a bit of strange because the map design moved away from the 3-lane symmetry too much.

I have though really enjoyed Warzone though I tend to dip in and out of that but unfortunately that seems to have its own issues with balancing and cheating. Hopefully they will sort that out ongoing with updates and support.

I think the biggest selling point for Cold War is it's next gen support. 120fps in multiplayer and 60fps with ray-tracing in campaign is great and it feels like a step up even if some parts of it are perhaps less than what we've seen in MW last year.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                I just didn't get on with MW. The campaign was passable (though I cannot remember a single thing about the story) and had some nice set pieces but the multiplayer I think felt a bit of strange because the map design moved away from the 3-lane symmetry too much.

I have though really enjoyed Warzone though I tend to dip in and out of that but unfortunately that seems to have its own issues with balancing and cheating. Hopefully they will sort that out ongoing with updates and support.

I think the biggest selling point for Cold War is it's next gen support. 120fps in multiplayer and 60fps with ray-tracing in campaign is great and it feels like a step up even if some parts of it are perhaps less than what we've seen in MW last year.
                Sadly I cannot get a new 120hz TV as I got a pretty decent one at the start of Lockdown 1. It was a clear no from the missus. I'd really like to see (or feel) the difference though...

Comment

Very much enjoying multiplayer sessions on this but it seems to have been pretty messy performance-wise recently. Really choppy. Last night it felt like it barely touched 30fps. Dunno if it’s across the board or just the series x but me and a mate found it virtually unplayable last night.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                    Sadly I cannot get a new 120hz TV as I got a pretty decent one at the start of Lockdown 1. It was a clear no from the missus. I'd really like to see (or feel) the difference though...
                    It's day and night, but I guess that isn't what you want to hear. I've tried it out 60fps with raytracing in multiplayer but it's not worth it. At 120fps everything just feels snappier...

This is the first COD game where I've actually bought the season pass crap, mainly because there's been MS rewards making it less than a fiver each time and I'm playing it a lot anyway.

It's fun. That's basically the pull, I found MW so sterile and warzone bores me to tears... But this, it's just fun.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                      It's day and night, but I guess that isn't what you want to hear. I've tried it out 60fps with raytracing in multiplayer but it's not worth it. At 120fps everything just feels snappier...

This is the first COD game where I've actually bought the season pass crap, mainly because there's been MS rewards making it less than a fiver each time and I'm playing it a lot anyway.

It's fun. That's basically the pull, I found MW so sterile and warzone bores me to tears... But this, it's just fun.
                      That is spot on, this game is amazing fun, better than any other MP game I have every played and the Zombies mode is fantastic as well. Not just a horde mode anymore, so much to it. I really should do a proper post about it, the game exceeds my expectations in every way.

I still hate Warzone as well, for reference

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                        That is spot on, this game is amazing fun, better than any other MP game I have every played and the Zombies mode is fantastic as well. Not just a horde mode anymore, so much to it. I really should do a proper post about it, the game exceeds my expectations in every way.

I still hate Warzone as well, for reference
                        I'm really hoping the current crap going on in Warzone with the zombies is an indication that not only are they passing the baton from MW to Cold War but also that they'll essentially migrate it to the new engine and make it a next gen compatible title.

Right now Cold War runs up to 120fps and has a useful FOV slider on next gen but you go and jump into Warzone and you just feel the engine is holding it back.

If they do bring Warzone up to a proper next gen enhanced title I'll be interested.

Comment

Working...
                        X