Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerslave/ Exhumed is coming back

Nightdive Studios https://twitter.com/ThrowbackCorp/st...89365447897091

That’s great - I played that on Saturn for the first time not long ago, and it’s a lot of fun. It’s rough around the edges by today’s standards though, so there’s definitely scope for a enhanced edition (which, according to the developers in a subtweet above, will be ‘fundamentally different’) to sharpen things up.

Comment

I wonder how they're going to do this? The PC and console versions are different aren't they? Nightdive Studios seem like the kind of dev that cares about this stuff so I'm hoping we get everything in one package.

Comment

The PC version and the PS1 version are pretty much the same. The Saturn version is different, and better. Even then, they’re all very similar. I love Exhumed. It’s a fantastic game. I remember getting the leaflet with my Dreamcast and Exhumed 2 was listed on it... never happened. Exhumed has amazing atmosphere around a great 3D Metroidy structure and strong FPS gameplay but also, in what felt almost impossible for so many other games, fantastic 3D platforming. It’s really successful at everything it attempted.

Comment

Played this to completion back in the day on Saturn, tough game but enjoyed it. Only bit I couldn't do was acquiring the last two hidden team dolls, which were at the end of the 'laser maze'. Ultimately didn't matter though, as it was the PAL release I was playing that didn't have Death Tank as a reward...

Comment

One of my favourite FPS on the PS1 too. I remember playing it over Christmas about 15 years ago for the first time. Right up there with Quake 2 IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
              Played this to completion back in the day on Saturn, tough game but enjoyed it. Only bit I couldn't do was acquiring the last two hidden team dolls, which were at the end of the 'laser maze'. Ultimately didn't matter though, as it was the PAL release I was playing that didn't have Death Tank as a reward...
              Getting the team dolls was really tough and, for me, more rewarding on the Saturn than the PS1. I got them all eventually but, yeah, some of them were incredibly challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Getting the team dolls was really tough and, for me, more rewarding on the Saturn than the PS1. I got them all eventually but, yeah, some of them were incredibly challenging.
                I only played the demo of the PS1 version but think I got the impression it was a bit easier? Can't quite remember. Teenage me had to give up on the laser section though before he had a crisis.

Comment

Spooky. Was thinking about this on Friday night not even having any awareness of this thread!!! Was thinking why this never had a remaster, it's not like it's full of licensed elements, innit?

I had the Saturn version, it was system-defying, completely right up there with QUAKE and DUKE NUKEM 3D in terms of games that make the Saturn sing, sing, SING!!!! I also loved how 'pointy' the gunplay felt, very suave indeed.

Think I played a demo of the PS1 version but it was clear it wasn't in the same 'pointy' league.

PS anyone know why QUAKE and QUAKE 2 haven't been rereleased on current formats...or is it only XB1 that doesn't have them??!

Just seems puzzling...I'd buy 'em tomoz!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    Spooky. Was thinking about this on Friday night not even having any awareness of this thread!!! Was thinking why this never had a remaster, it's not like it's full of licensed elements, innit?

I had the Saturn version, it was system-defying, completely right up there with QUAKE and DUKE NUKEM 3D in terms of games that make the Saturn sing, sing, SING!!!! I also loved how 'pointy' the gunplay felt, very suave indeed.

Think I played a demo of the PS1 version but it was clear it wasn't in the same 'pointy' league.

PS anyone know why QUAKE and QUAKE 2 haven't been rereleased on current formats...or is it only XB1 that doesn't have them??!

Just seems puzzling...I'd buy 'em tomoz!!!!!
                    No idea tbh, seems like a missed opportunity. Quake 4 did come with a version of Quake 2 though, is that playable via backwards compatability?

Comment

I don't believe Quake 4 360 is backwards compatible. My guess is that it never sold as well on the consoles and isn't a revered as Doom and therefore slipped down the pecking order (particularly with Doom's and Wolfenstein's recent successes). It would be nice to see a 25th anniversary edition in two years with all the games on and maybe different versions being selectable and all reworked for modern formats.

But unfortunately Quake like many others fell down the GaaS/Live Services hell hole with Quake Live and Quake Champions so who knows.

With regards to Exhumed/Powerslave my understanding is the console versions do differ from the PC version both in terms of tech but also structure/progression. Digital Foundry did a fantastic video going into detail about the different versions here.

It also had a an unofficial release in the form of Powerslave EX (also talked about in the video) which was an attempt to bring the console versions to a modern PC format from someone who has done a lot of these remasters. Although it got pulled before the Saturn maps could be included.

Apologies if you're all aware of this, but thought I'd chip in.

Comment

I didn’t actually know that the PC version was so different. I always thought it was pretty much a port of the PS1 version so I skipped ahead to that part of the video to find out more. Weird that it was so different. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Sadly, QUAKE 4, like many have mentioned, isn't BC. Neither is QUAKE WARS, which is sad as I thought it deffo was. But, nah.

The version of QUAKE 2 that was bundled with Q4 was on a second disc, apparently. I've bought three used copies of Q4 and have never got the bonus disc. Not even sure if it came with the UK version???? Been after it aaaaages, it looks like such a silky smooth, rambunctious version of Q2.

Having said that, as it's not BC and I don't use my 360 anymore, I'd be much happier with an easy XB1 update, not even bovved about remastering, just 60fps will do, I loved em all apart from Q3 (which was good but not for moi).

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            The version of QUAKE 2 that was bundled with Q4 was on a second disc, apparently. I've bought three used copies of Q4 and have never got the bonus disc. Not even sure if it came with the UK version???? Been after it aaaaages, it looks like such a silky smooth, rambunctious version of Q2.

Having said that, as it's not BC and I don't use my 360 anymore, I'd be much happier with an easy XB1 update, not even bovved about remastering, just 60fps will do, I loved em all apart from Q3 (which was good but not for moi).
                            I'm pushing my new GPU with Quake II RTX. I'm 'only' getting 75FPS out of a €700 piece of kit...
                            It's the same graphics as before, only with ridiculously fancy real-time lighting and effects. Shiny surfaces with real reflections everywhere.

Comment

^it looks so badass!!!!! Really chunky, I've always loved the 'chunk factor' of QUAKE 2!!!

Sadly, the 'best' version I've played is the N64 version. Surely it's easy to port these over like they did with DOOM and DUKE NUKEM 3D???

Anyhoo, I bought ION FURY for a tenner last week. That should tide me over.

Comment

Working...
                              X