Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Hmmm... I'm still waiting for a future Predator movie where they transplant it to a time period more remiscent of the Aliens franchise, i.e. the far future. Though I think that's just because I read AvP as a kid and am still waiting for a proper one.

Comment

My issue with the trailer for this one is it looks good but mostly because I remember the harrowing experience of watching Predator 4. I think the idea of taking it back in time to heighten the stakes of taking the Predator down isn't as compelling as it's made out to be, ultimately she will likely just repeat what Arnie did in the original when he ran out of ammo. Hopefully it's decent, lord knows the franchise needs an uptick, but it will need some smart twists to avoid the predictability the set up easily leans into

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            My issue with the trailer for this one is it looks good but mostly because I remember the harrowing experience of watching Predator 4. I think the idea of taking it back in time to heighten the stakes of taking the Predator down isn't as compelling as it's made out to be, ultimately she will likely just repeat what Arnie did in the original when he ran out of ammo. Hopefully it's decent, lord knows the franchise needs an uptick, but it will need some smart twists to avoid the predictability the set up easily leans into
            I think you are on to something. The original was so good the first time you saw it because you didn't know what the predator was, who would survive and how they'd take it down.
            This film lacks all three elements. We know the Predator, we know she'll survive, and we know, because of the limitations on weapons, how she'll take it down. Its already close to pointless watching it.

Comment

I will watch it once I have confirmation that the dog survives.

I was enjoying

I Am Legend

up to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                I will watch it once I have confirmation that the dog survives.

I was enjoying

I Am Legend

up to that point.
                There is a website just for that information: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  There is a website just for that information: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/
                  Bookmarked. Thanks.

Comment

The film is confirmed to be releasing via Hulu on 05 August 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      https://youtu.be/WhD3xAIZzeg
                      The film is confirmed to be releasing via Hulu on 05 August 2022
                      Looks like I'll be putting my pirate hat on for this.

Comment

Prey on Hulu could be the best Predator movie ever — and it’s 95% on Rotten Tomatoes | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)
                        The fifth Predator film has landed and is hitting an RT score of just.... 95%?!

Could Predator join Fast and Furious as the only other franchise where the fifth entry is the best one?

Comment

I'm looking forward to finding out.

Comment

This will be the one where the lead steals the Predators trophy vault in an elaborate bait and switch plan whilst avoiding the pursuing threat of an over muscled rival and in doing so establishes that it's all about faaaamilyyyyy.

Comment

Watched this tonight.

It’s a solid film. And about a million times better than every other film in the series bar the first two.

It has heart. It’s savvy enough to realise that you aren’t going to recapture the 80s feeling of the butchest mofos out there getting picked off one by one in the jungle heat. That was of its time, and glorious.

This film instead picks a different time and place and works all the better for it. The landscape and photography are often very beautiful, and the cast work well with very limited material. I like the way it doesn’t try to create the testosterone-fuelled thrill of an elite unit armed to the teeth with an array of brutal weaponry. Instead it’s quite an intimate tale about acceptance, against a backdrop of colonial viciousness. The role of the predator is stripped down to its most basic function. The simplicity is a strength, as well as making the film feel slightly lightweight.

There’s a couple of very good scenes, and the rest are serviceable. The lead star never looks out of her depth, and carries the film throughout. The challenge of taking down a brutal alien by using 18th century weapons doesn’t feel like a stretch, either, so credit to the script people. There’s a few nods to the original. One is cringy, but the others are neat.

It’s a brisk film that brings some honour and dignity back to the franchise. It takes things back to the roots, which in some ways shows a good understanding of the appeal of the original, but in other ways acknowledges the lack of scope available to make a Predator film work. There’s enough different, though, to keep me entertained. The budget limitations are very evident in places, but that’s ok, because it’s a credible entry that genuinely makes me look forward to any future project.
                              Last edited by prinnysquad; 05-08-2022, 22:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X