Clear All

Retro Rumble: Round 18

Donkey Kong
    Ghosts 'n Goblins
    Gradius
    Robotron: 2084
    Tempest
    Track & Field

Six random retro games face off against each other to see which ones are the most popular.

Choose 3 that you like the most.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 28-11-2020, 17:14.

No one interested in these classic coin-ops?

Comment

Donkey Kong for its chunky appeal, Tempest for its unique controls and vector aesthetic, and lastly Track and Field for its blue skies, multi event variety and memories of pulling your school shirt or jumper over your hand to do the frantic button-rub method!

Great days.

Comment

Tempest - yeah, love that simple and perfect aesthetic and interface. Do touch that dial, do!

Track & Field and DK too

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
          Track and Field for its blue skies, multi event variety and memories of pulling your school shirt or jumper over your hand to do the frantic button-rub method!

I remember seeing it in all sorts of places -- from pubs to chip shops and leisure centres. Such an iconic machine.

It was funny how people tried to find ways to make the button tapping easier.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Tempest - yeah, love that simple and perfect aesthetic and interface. Do touch that dial, do!
          Yeah, the vector visuals stand the test of time well. It's also an easy to grasp but hard to master game.

I'd love one of these.

Comment

I've only really played Gradius fairly recently at a retro show and on the Switch bundle.
            It's good, but I prefer the Game Boy version and Gradius V.

So, my choices are:
            Donkey Kong. It's a great game in its own right and still fun to play today.
            The other reasons I've added it is the great backstory behind it but also the amazing artwork.
            Slightly OT, but there's a certain style to earlier Nintendo artwork. Anyone know who the artist was?

Track & Field. I'll be honest, the I mix the events up with Hyper Sports, but both are fantastic games and are great when people share a cab. Got some friendly rivalry going with a couple of guys at a Manchester show!

Ghosts & Goblins. Tough, but great looking game. Early Demon's Souls?
            Love the chunky sprites and little touches like taking 2 hits, but Arthur has to run about in his heart boxer shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              there's a certain style to earlier Nintendo artwork.

Yeah, such iconic design. Nintendo arcade cabs are really special.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Ghosts & Goblins. Tough, but great looking game. Early Demon's Souls?

A lighthearted Demon's Souls, but even tougher.

Comment

Tempest - Just because of Tempest 2000
                Ghosts and Gobins - Just because of Super Ghouls and Ghosts
                Gradius - Just because of Gradius V

Notice the pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post

Notice the pattern?
                  As much as the original games are classics, you prefer later games in each series'. I feel the same, even if I do have a soft spot for really old school coin-ops.

Comment

My votes:

Robotron 2084 - The manic action and hypnotic visuals never get old.
                    Tempest - The clean vector graphics and addictive gameplay make this a joy to play.
                    Gradius - It may be quite basic next to later entries in the series', but I still enjoy what it has to offer.

Comment

The votes so far:

Tempest: 4 votes
                      Donkey Kong: 3 votes
                      Track & Field: 3 votes
                      Gradius: 2 votes
                      Ghosts 'n Goblins: 2 votes
                      Robotron: 2084: 1 vote

Vector graphics for the win!

Comment

Gradius - Of course I’m going for the game they named after me.
                        Track & Field - fun arcade game but I prefer Hyper Sports
                        Ghosts n Goblins

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                          Gradius - Of course I’m going for the game they named after me.
                          I always wondered where they got the name from.

Funny thing is -- my name's Leon Axelay.

Comment

Gradius is an easy first pick. Not the best of the series, but by no means the worst either. I'd probably rank it fourth behind 2, 5 and Gaiden. It was the first to do so many things that became a staple of the genre.

Ghost 'n Goblins in second place. I haven't played the arcade game a lot and I like Ghouls 'n Ghosts far more, though I played it a lot on the C64.

Third choice is harder because I haven't played any of them very much. Perhaps Donkey Kong, because of all the Mario games that followed it!

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                              Ghost 'n Goblins in second place. I haven't played the arcade game a lot and I like Ghouls 'n Ghosts far more, though I played it a lot on the C64.
                              Ghouls 'n Ghosts tends to overshadow Ghosts 'n Goblins, but the first game was also a really big thing when it hit the arcades and the subsequent 8-bit home systems. It was one of the must-have coin-op conversions for a while. There was nothing else quite like it -- and it was full of cool design touches. The soundtrack is unforgettable.

Comment

Working...
                              X