Nintendo switch shooters recommendation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo switch shooters recommendation thread

I love shooters but it's dawned on me that while i have been hunting shooters for Japanese PS1 i have been totally neglecting finding ones for the switch and a lot are passing me by as i have no idea they existed. Just found a video of crimson clover and after watching it i broke my digital purchase rule as it looked so amazing that i needed to play it and 45 mins later i managed to complete the thing after using a bazillion credits and my heart is still pounding my goodness it's amazing.

So i'm now on the lookout for shooters on swich what do people recommend i look out for/buy? Even older ones re-released for switch will count.

Ideally they will be physical releases either regular retail or through limited run kind of thing. Some like crimson clover are only digital for now but i hope that it gets a cart release so if it's on the same amazing level as that i may break the digital rule but i really do like having physical stuff especially on nintendo hardware. I have seen peoples various purchases in the pickup threads but i really need to buckle down and start making a proper list before the same thing happens to these current gen games as it did to the retro stuff (i.e become obscenely expensive to get)

Suggest away please, as i know of you have vast shooty knowledge.
    Last edited by importaku; 24-11-2020, 17:38.

I can’t speak for the quality of the Switch releases as I have them on PS4, but there’s Vasara Collection which is worth a look. A bunch of Darius releases if they’re to your taste. It looks like Game Tengoku is due a physical Switch release as well from readytodispatch, the PS4 release was decent.

Comment

Pointless post. You already mentioned Crimzon Clover.

Comment

Danmaku Unlimited 3 is ace (with a great metal soundtrack to boot), and I believe the Switch port has additional modes over the PC release. It did get the LRG treatment but no idea what prices it commands these days.
        Last edited by danstan21; 24-11-2020, 06:01.

Comment

Rolling Gunner unfortunately no longer has a physical release planned; I was waiting for that to play it, but I've heard it's good.
          Esp.Ra.De if you like Cave, and if you have money to spare and like Shikigami No Shiro, Sister Royale; but that's very low on the list.
          Devil Engine's OK, but nothing more.
          Psyvariar Delta is good, but I've been a big fan of it.
          Psikyo Shooter Collections, three of them: you'll probably find something you like on there (if you don't you don't have a soul).
          RXN Raixin is good for a single playthrough, rather short-lived.
          You can't go wrong with R-Type Dimension.
          Q-YO Blaster...uhm, I don't, I should play more of it; decent first impression, but much else.

Comment

Folks above have covered most bases; Shikhondo is the only other that's coming to mind immediately? Though there is the Ronseal-esque "Shmup Collection" from Pixelheart, which, would you believe it, has some shmups in it.

If you're not looking for exclusives, Raiden V and Ikaruga are fairly safe bets, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the latter. Also things like the Hamster Arcade Archives, NeoGeo Station, and even Sega Ages have got some digital goodies to dig out too (Last Resort, Thunderforce, In The Hunt etc)

Comment

Don’t forget Ghost Blade HD.

Comment

Does Ghost Blade HD balance mechanics or is it just a straight port? The original was by no means bad, but I found it a bit too easy due to the way you can easily build up lives.

Comment

Seems just like the Xbox One version which I have played a lot. Still rubbish at it though.

Comment

Another vote for Danmaku Unlimited 3. I quite like Grand Brix Shooter, which has an interesting ship-changing mechanic.

Cross platform Sky Force games are still good. The Psikyo collections are 40% off here, so I would have a look at them too. Steredenn: Binary Stars is a nice pixel-aesthetic and is wonderfully challenging.
                    Caladrius Blaze is on there too, not that I've played it still.

Comment

My favourites are Crimzon Clover, Rolling Gunner, Esp Ra De, Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Shikhondo.

Though not without its faults, I've a soft spot for Azure Reflections too:

Comment

I assume you are looking for Jpn releases only but if UK is an option then NIS America released the Psikyo shooters locally in 2 box sets containing all the titles

They are pretty nice sets & cheaper than getting the individual Jpn releases

Neil

Comment

Annoyingly yeah, the UK and Japanese releases featured 6 games on each, whereas the other-Asian-countries versions (which started releasing first!) featured 4 games each and spanned 3 carts. Grr.

Comment

Thanks for everyones suggestions i'm slowly working my way through all the lists by looking on youtube at gameplay vids ect, as for region. With these they can be any language, my switch library is a mish mash of all 3 regions since you no longer get manuals in boxes i don't get as many Japanese switch games anymore if there's a local version. However there are some i will prioritise the jpn version.

Comment

Soundwave's collections are lovely, but you could consider the other Psyiko collections.
                              Psikyo Collection Vol. 3 (Multi-Language) for Nintendo SwitchPsikyo Collection Vol. 3 includes four titles which are Strikers 1945 III, GUNBARICH, Zero Gunner 2, and Sengoku Cannon. All are classic, arcade-style scrolling shooters.STRIKERS 1945 IIIPsikyo Revival! Play the arcade classic!A revolution broke out in shooting games in 1995. The Japanese brand "Psikyo" introduced a new enemy's attack, "Spread bullets" not seen before then, and the history of a new shooting game began.If you are a shooting game fan, "Psikyo shooting" that everyone knows is revived! Shoot!Sengoku CannonTwo years have passed since the settling of the soul hunting incident in which human ...

I think this is going to be up your street as it's got a nice mix and it's not bullet hell.

Zero Gunner 2 is amazing with submarines, trains and stealth bomber bosses all transforming.

Gunbarich is right up your street as a cross between a cutesy puzzler and shooter.

Sengoku Cannon mixes it up with a historical setting and a horizontal shooter.

Strikers 1945 III is great with its alternative WWII ship designs and lush pixelart.

Comment

Working...
                              X