X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: The Greatest Film of 2009 Part Four

Round 4 begins with more of the last naughties years films to compare:

The Greatest Film of 2009 Part Four

Which of the above films are among the best of the year?
    Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    0%
    Trick r Treat
    0%
    True Adolescents
    0%
    The Ugly Truth
    0%
    The Unborn
    0%
    Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
    0%
    The Uninvited
    0%
    Up
    0%
    Up in the Air
    0%
    Watchmen
    0%
    Whatever Works
    0%
    Where the Wild Things Are
    0%
    Whiteout
    0%
    Whip It
    0%
    World's Greatest Dad
    0%
    X-Men: Origins
    0%
    Year One
    0%
    The Young Victoria
    0%
    Youth in Revolt
    0%
    Zombieland
    0%
    44 Inch Chest
    0%
    The Boat that Rocked
    0%
    The Boys are Back
    0%
    Bright Star
    0%
    Bronson
    0%
    Dorian Gray
    0%
    Endgame
    0%
    An Englishman in New York
    0%
    Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
    0%
    Harry Brown
    0%
    Lesbian Vampire Killers
    0%
    Little Ashes
    0%
    St Trinians II: The Legend of Friton's Gold
    0%
    Rec 2
    0%

I did snag for a moment on Up but couldn't vote for it because overall it's not that great a film. The opening is as cutting as is known but then the bar drops but is still good as the scout tries to warm over the old guy. Then it drops again when the other characters are introduced.

Finally the house reaches towards its destination and the villain fully kicks in and to be honest the film is pure drivel there onward. It's such an odd film to overall leave a good impression but mostly on the strength of the first half hour rather than the more common opposite. I'd have to watch Watchmen again to be honest and Zombieland I never got the appeal of.

Comment

I voted for Year One.

Not because it's a good film. I couldn't tell you as I haven't seen it.

However, I did win a radio competition to guess which song the DJs were singing as cavemen and I won £1000 and had a holiday to Cuba and a new stair bannister put in by Bob the Beaver with the winnings.

Comment

I voted for Rec 2 (although I don't remember the first one appearing on a list...) as it's really one of the only films on the list that made a strong impression. Rec 2 is really interesting because it feels very much like the original and yet completely embraces a different direction for what they're dealing with. And for me it wins huge points for adding in a plot device that was so difficult to pull off in that type of movie and yet I totally went with it. So it's a sequel that delivers what the first one delivered and yet still manages to bring some surprises. I really liked it.

Oh and I totally agree about Up. Lots of people say they adore it and yet, when they talk about it, they only talk about the opening. That film could have been a short film of that opening sequence and left it there and it would have made the same impact.

Comment

Up could have turned into Boxing Helena after that first 10 minutes and I'd have still have voted for it. I remember sitting in the cinema next to my 3-yr-old trying to hold back the tears. It's a mini masterpiece the following 90 mins could never match.

Zombieland was my other. It's grown on me over time and I've had a load of fun rediscovering it watching it with my boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I voted for Rec 2 (although I don't remember the first one appearing on a list...)
            2007 Part Four - Though I was the only one who voted for it
            The third and fourth films though...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              2007 Part Four - Though I was the only one who voted for it
              The third and fourth films though...
              Nuts! Sorry, I missed it. I would have voted for it.

Yeah, I would only ever recommend the first two films.

Comment

I can't remember a thing about Up other than the opening sequence, and that the dog could use his special collar to talk. The opening sequence is brilliant, but, yeah. No clue about the rest of it.

I'd like to give a BD Razzie to The Unborn on that list. A truly atrocious film that I unfortunately saw in the cinema.

Comment

Working...
                X