Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Nintendo is balls for action games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Nintendo is balls for action games?

So outside Castlevania IV, Contra, Valken, Valis IV, Golden Fighter and Armour Police Metal Jack...seems like the Megadrive has this creamed.

Are they hidden behind Japanese names, what else is there worth seeking.

No cute cartoon sprites, just badass side scrolling shanking, punching or shooting.

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is the game you seek, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is the game you seek, my friend.
      This is a great game, shoot em up though right...tho I guess you can transform into a robot. On the fence of eligibility Hehe.

Comment

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Cybernator

Hagane

Majyuuou King of Demons

Metal Warriors

Ninja Warriors Again

Nosferatu

Prince of Persia

Rendering Ranger

Star Wars Trilogy

Super Turrican 1 & 2

These are all good to great action games. No cutesy cartoon stuff.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-12-2020, 23:13.

Comment

Are we saying Super Metroid, the greatest SNES game, one of the greatest games ever made isn't an action game?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            Are we saying Super Metroid, the greatest SNES game, one of the greatest games ever made isn't an action game?
            Interesting, it's like is Metroid Prime a first person shooter?

Not saying one or t'other, didn't cross my mind tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              Interesting point. Whilst I would agree with you - it certainly is one of the greatest games ever made - it’s not balls to leather, all out action, is it? Much slower paced and methodical than your average arcade style action game with bullets and explosions

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              Interesting, it's like is Metroid Prime a first person shooter?
              I’ve always regarded it as such, just one that is far superior than “normal” FPS games that lack all the platforming and exploration elements. For the record I’m not a fan of FPS games but absolutely love the MP series.
              Last edited by samanosuke; 03-12-2020, 06:44.

Comment

That underwater Poseidon adventure mode7 scaling game Septentrion (SOS) that got 90% in Super Play by Vic Tokia... the Megaman X games...also by Capcom, so good they made three of them!

Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 10:00.

Comment

Software aside I noticed how much better performance was on MD recently, that 68k does work.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Software aside I noticed how much better performance was on MD recently, that 68k does work.
                    Indeed, I don't think this is true in every single case, but generally Megadrive can throw around larger sprites, faster, most of the time.

Comment

No Mode 7! Visually the SNES could do stuff the Megadrive was incapable of and it made the difference...until the Mega CD came out and by that time it was too late in the States... and Japan. The SNES was built on the success of the NES that is not to say the Megadrive or Genesis was not a great machine 68000 processor and all if the SNES had been given 12.5MHz speed processor this would not even be a conversation.
                      Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                        No Mode 7! Visually the SNES could do stuff the Megadrive was incapable of and it made the difference...until the Mega CD came out and by that time it was too late in the States... and Japan. The SNES was built on the success of the NES that is not to say the Megadrive or Genesis was not a great machine 68000 processor and all if the SNES had been given 12.5MHz speed processor this would not even be a conversation.
                        Yeah yeah, if Fanny was yer aunt and all that.. Besides there was such a machine as you described, called a Neo Geo, and it was more expensive than both the MD and SNES put together.

Comment

I think it's a moot point to compare the MD and SNES in any case. There's over two years between them for a start. I think it's also worth mentioning that most of the SNES visual big-hitters relied heavily on helper chips, which weren't a thing on the MD outside of Virtua Racing. It was certainly technically possible to add more colours, sound, effects via cartridge chips on the MD but it just wasn't a route they went down. They're both good at different things and the low clockspeed of the SNES CPU was definitely a big bottleneck for action games (especially shooters), even when they added helper chips.

The great thing about being an adult is that you can just own both.

Comment

256 colours on screen at any time from a palette of 32,678 made all the graphical difference visually the SNES looked like a coin op see Area 88.

The Megadrive could never hope to compete with this it was incapable of displaying the graphical fluidity and crispness neeeded a conversion on the Amiga was not well received by US Gold

Arcade Bosses

SNES Longplay

Now this is beginning to sound like playground console wars from 1993 to me!

Top Gun Tom Cruise lookalike and Viper Val Kilmer instead of Japanese influence. Westernised!

You would have got something like this on the MD...

Although CAPCOM could programme better than US Gold and SF2 Championship Edition is a good conversion with god awful sound. The SNES sound chip kills the MD stone cold dead!
                            Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-12-2020, 16:29.

Comment

I love both of them...

They've both given me years and years of 16-bit goodness. They have their good & bad points, but talented people managed to make great games for them. If you like 16-bit gaming... you have to have both.

This is an interesting read: https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=0156

Manfred Trenz(of Turrican fame) says he used "Very very tricky assembly programming" to make sure Rendering Ranger has no slowdown. Both Super Turrican games also run really well.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-12-2020, 20:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X