Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Nintendo Switch/PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Nintendo Switch/PC)

I'll cut straight to the chase - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King is an unashamed Zelda clone. Don't disregard the game on that ground however because it is brim full with joy and charm and includes enough ideas of its own to provide a satisfying experience.

The game is presented as a bedtime tale told by a grandfather to two young children. The grandfather is an unreliable narrator at times which makes for some amusing moments, and sometimes the children interrupt the grandfather, arguing over what the hero in the tale should fight next and the player must choose between two options. In terms of humour, personality and overall atmosphere, the game feels a little bit like EarthBound which (I think) is great and helps differentiate it somewhat from the Zelda series.

The game features cracked walls to bomb, pickups hidden in long grass, sliding rock puzzles, upgraded swords, bow and arrows, mushroom potions, magical medallions, swift sandals... it really couldn't be more Zelda-like in gameplay, and that veneration for its inspiration is worn proudly and with humorous self-awareness; for example at the very beginning of the game the grandfather asks the children, "Do you want to hear a story about an elf boy dressed in green who lives in the Kingdom of H...?" and the children cut him off, crying, "No!, we've heard that story a hundred times already!". It's an amusing touch.

In summary, if you like the 2D Zelda games then you'll like this. It is a little shorter and perhaps a touch easier than I had hoped but it's good fun while it lasts with plenty of secrets and side quests to keep you playing after wrapping up the main quest.

Currently on sale at £4.72 (usual price £13.49) on the Nintendo eShop.

Official trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_JXUJ20og
    Last edited by thinkitty; 14-12-2020, 17:26.

Sounds quite intriguing, thanks for the write up.

Comment

Working...
    X