Question for those living in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    KFC serve roast chickens on Christmas Day, or at least, they used to. Most Japanese people don't have an oven in the house; typically they have one of these:

That's not an oven at the bottom; it's a grill (good for doing fish, though I used to do chicken breasts etc. in mine) and it's nowhere near big enough for roast foods.

I don't actually know why KFC do roast chickens. I mean, why do they have ovens? There's clearly a gap of information here. But it's definitely part of the equation.
    I'm having domino's pizza for Christmas. Did the whole KFC last week. Yep, Domino's pizza and champagne. Living like a king, lol . I'm on holiday from today too. Haven't worked a single Christmas in my 22 years of Japan. Must be a record, haha. Well, for those who aren't teachers I mean.

Comment

Do Domino’s Japan do a special Christmas pizza? If so, I’d like a photo!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Do Domino’s Japan do a special Christmas pizza? If so, I’d like a photo!
        UK Domino's have this year.

Comment

Every pizza from Domino's should be a special pizza, the prices they charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            I'm having domino's pizza for Christmas. Did the whole KFC last week. Yep, Domino's pizza and champagne. Living like a king, lol . I'm on holiday from today too. Haven't worked a single Christmas in my 22 years of Japan. Must be a record, haha. Well, for those who aren't teachers I mean.
            Funnily enough, I got both my Christmasses off - but the second year I actually intended to work it, like, I guess for the experience. But the school headteacher approached me on Christmas Eve and offered me the afternoon and Day off, without having to take holiday. Naturally I took him up on the offer; after all, it would have been very impolite to refuse such a gesture... But as I had absolutely nothing planned and was living on my own, it was actually quite a depressing day

Comment

I worked every Christmas. It was fine as I was coming from retail in the UK and was only used to the one day off.
              I remember one Christmas eve my then-wife had come back to Canada and I was alone with the cat. Ended up going out drinking with friends and spent Christmas Day in a satellite school being the only teacher and hungover as all ****. Good days.

Comment

We get Christmas Day off at my company.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                  Company takes care of all paperwork. I just sign.

No scam. Its a great school. The owner is a wealthy and somewhat well known Japanese woman. I've spoken with her on Zoom already. As I mentioned I earned more in Singapore, but a little less in Qatar. International school, the very best ones, pay well.

7 million salary, plus annual air tickets home, housing/utilities/internet/meals all included. 16 weeks paid vacation.
                  16weeks paid holiday, whats the point of even going to work 🤣.

Comment

Internation schools pay well plus you get good holidays. Japan will never pay as much as places like Singapore or the Middle East but that's because they know people want to come and live in Japan.
                    I've worked in the gaming industry here for years and I will tell you that's more than most people earn (average wage in Japan is about 4 million a year), so you will have a decent standard life on that salary especially living near Hiroshima where it won't be too expensive and your accommodation is paid for - I say take it!
                    Last edited by tokyochojin; 04-01-2021, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                      Internation schools pay well plus you get good holidays. Japan will never pay as much as places like Singapore or the Middle East but that's because they know people want to come and live in Japan.
                      I've worked in the gaming industry here for years and I will tell you that's more than most people earn (average wage in Japan is about 4 million a year), so you will have a decent standard life on that salary especially living near Hiroshima where it won't be too expensive and your accommodation is paid for - I say take it!
                      Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Food paid for too as well as all medical and dental costs and annual flights home.

Comment

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Food paid for too as well as all medical and dental costs and annual flights home.
                        Has the company you are going to work for mentioned anything about the visa situation? I'd get on to them because its not looking good.
                        From the 25 December to January 31st, nobody is allowed in to Japan unless they already have residency here. After January 31st the government will decide what to do. They may allow select people in who have work sponsored visas or they may not. What has been said is the general public may not be allowed in until Autumn! This is still to be confirmed mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Has the company you are going to work for mentioned anything about the visa situation? I'd get on to them because its not looking good.
                          From the 25 December to January 31st, nobody is allowed in to Japan unless they already have residency here. After January 31st the government will decide what to do. They may allow select people in who have work sponsored visas or they may not. What has been said is the general public may not be allowed in until Autumn! This is still to be confirmed mind you.
                          Yes they have taken care of that already. I've been given dispensation to enter the country, quarantine etc.
                          Last edited by Jaz; 05-01-2021, 14:00.

Comment

Yes they have taken care of that already. I've been given dispensation to enter the country, quarantine etc.
                            That's good but do keep an eye on the border situation just in case. Check the official government site periodically

This is the English version.

Comment

My visa was finally granted after I got an exception from Tokyo. Woohoo!

Comment

Finally made it after 48 hours of travelling. The airport resembles a hospital more than a transportation hub.

Still, this is what greeted me in Osaka:

Comment

Working...
                                X