Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use USA Playstation Plus codes on their UK PS4/PS5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use USA Playstation Plus codes on their UK PS4/PS5?

I have a USA PSN account and a UK PSN account. If I buy a USA Playstation Plus code, can I redeem it on my UK PS5 on my USA PSN account? And if so, will that allow me to use Playstation Plus using my UK PSN account on the same console the USA account is on? I'm asking about this as on cdkeys, there's a warning when buying a USA Playstation Plus code:

Warning: 1-Year PlayStation Plus Membership (PS+) - PS3/PS4/PS5 Digital Code (USA) cannot be activated in United Kingdom. If you still want to purchase, click "Buy Now"

Does that mean the code can't be redeemed from within the UK (or on a UK console) or does it simply mean that you need a USA account to use the code on?

If I buy a USA Playstation Plus code, can I redeem it on my UK PS5 on my USA PSN account?
    Yes.

The US PS+ code will only work with your US PSN account, meaning you can't get a Plus-subscription on your UK account using that code. If you want a Plus-sub on your UK account you will have to buy an UK code for that. However, any games you buy/download through your US PSN account, you can also play using your UK PSN account. I have the same (well, US and Norwegian account) and only have Plus-sub on my US PSN. I use Amazon to buy subs and prepaid cards as the US PS Store doesn't allow foreign (non-US) credit cards or Paypal-cards.
    Last edited by MoFo2; 02-01-2021, 20:53.

Comment

It’ll be to do with the region of the account, not the console or IP address - same as country-specific top up cards (whether in Euros, Yen, USD or whatever) the PS+ code will be specific to a given region and the PSN account you want to register against will need to match for it to work.

If you get a US PS+ card you will be able to download PS+ games on your US account and also very likely play them with your UK PSN account, but you’ll need to stick to the US account for access to online play.

Comment

OK, so to be super clear:

- I can buy a USA Playstation Plus code and redeem it on my USA PSN account.
        - I can login on the same console with my UK PSN account and play online with games I have purchased on my UK PSN account.

True?

Comment

The wording of the second statement is unclear to me. To the best of my knowledge, if you don't have PS+ registered specifically against your UK PSN account (i.e. you've bought US PS+ and have downloaded games using that) then you will not be able to play online with your US account - you will need to use the US account, or any other, that has PS+ registered against it.

Comment

I haven't purchased any games on the US PSN account. All my games have been purchased on my UK account. I just want to buy PS Plus on the US account as PS Plus codes for that region are significantly cheaper than UK PS Plus codes.

Comment

I get that, and if you do so then you will be able to use your US account on the US storefront to download US PS+ games. You will be able to play them (offline) with your UK account and online with your US account. But you will not be able to download said PS+ games with your UK account from the UK storefront, nor will you be able to play online games (be they downloaded from PS+ or otherwise) that require PS+ membership, when on your UK account.

Comment

EDIT: deleted this as I wasn’t sure if I was actually right!
                Last edited by wakka; 03-01-2021, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  I get that, and if you do so then you will be able to use your US account on the US storefront to download US PS+ games. You will be able to play them (offline) with your UK account and online with your US account. But you will not be able to download said PS+ games with your UK account from the UK storefront, nor will you be able to play online games (be they downloaded from PS+ or otherwise) that require PS+ membership, when on your UK account.
                  I just checked, and this isn't true. I have a USA PSN account and a UK PSN account, both on my PS5. Only the UK account has PS+ and games bought with that account. I just logged in to my USA account and I am able to play Bloodborne (a game purchased on the UK account) online. I am also able to play PS+ games with the USA account (games that were obtained on the UK account). So, the only hurdle now is the wording on the cdkeys website. Have Sony introduced some sort of mechanism that prevents USA PS+ codes being used within the UK, even on a USA PSN account, or is the wording just misleading?

Comment

Ok I’m clearly working off some false knowledge here, so I’ll shut my mouth re: online play requirements.

In terms of registering the code though, I’m sure CDKeys are only earning people off from trying to use American codes on UK accounts

Comment

Working...
                    X