Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the Snyder cut of justice league. The most pointless exercise in the history of cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Watched the Snyder cut of justice league. The most pointless exercise in the history of cinema.
      This Snyder cut is being talked about like its the greatest movie in cinema history

Comment

It definitely isn’t. There is more character back story but it’s needless. Some very odd slow motion sequences where a random song plays, Batman premonitions the Jared Leto joker, which I can’t decide is brilliant or awful.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          One of my favourite films. So, so good and got me started on Billy Wilder. Guy was a genius. Have you seen Ace In The Hole @Atticus?
          Just watched it this morning. Absolutely fantastic. Feels so far ahead of 1951 too. Stories just don't tend to get told like that. My film brain was expecting it to go in certain directions but the film plays out more realistically. A man's life hangs in the balance and greed dominates his fate. Hard as nails.

Comment

Resident Evil: Retribution - In this fifth film things are starting to get stretched a little. Most of it takes place in virtual environments in a test facility, which creates a few fun-to-watch scenarios but not much else. One more chapter to go.

Zack Snyder's Justice League - I'm not massively into ensemble superhero films but for some reason thought I'd devote 4 precious hours to this. It's odd. At times it's entertaining enough, then it's pretty boring. Maybe the Snyder cut should have been about simply making it better and not twice the length. Positives: I like Affleck's Batman. I could watch a whole purely Affleck Batman film I think. Also, the action has impact. And it's pretty too. Snyder does do decent action, I'll give him that.

A Rainy Day In New York - I like a bit of Woody Allen now and then and this was just a pleasure to lose myself in. Sometimes you watch the right film in the right moment.

Comment

Kong: Skull Island
              Takes us closer to being refreshed for the new film. Still a great, fun watch and still... better than the two G movies

Comment

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
                Fully refreshed ahead of the newest film now, watching this at home I'd still say it's narratively the weakest of the three films but I did enjoy it a lot more this time around than I did originally on the big screen. Excellent for the destructive action but hopefully VS is a step up from this one.

Comment

Manhattan Murder Mystery - More Woody. The Rear Window style set-up of suspecting a neighbour of offing his wife is a nice little backdrop to the real crux of the film that looks at an established marriage and how much adventure is left when the comfort levels have made things a bit ordinary.

Comment

Widows : Really rather good

Aquaman : Total garbage. Like an infant wrote it. About as good as Shark Boy and Lava Girl

Comment

Ended up watching DEATH WISH V: THE FACE OF DEATH last night, Bronson's last outing as pistol-popping Paul Kersey.

Never seen this one before. It's fun but it's weeeeeeeak, not a patch on the first three Michael Winner-directed instalments. And it's obvs a '15' in terms of carnage (though there are several pairs of naked breasts on display, especially in a notable bathtub scene later on in the movie). But it's all like a 90s US TV cop show, innit? It's...cardboard.

Would I say seek it out? Naaaaah. It IS fun...but it's chaff. And not fun enough to merit the time usage. Use that time instead to listen to the awesome DEATH WISH II soundtrack on YouTube. Any excuse.

Comment

I mean, an example of how weak it is: Kersey takes out a goon by pouring cyanide dust on his cannoli. It's white with dust but the goon wolfs the pastry down without even noticing a difference in flavour. And then he chokes, bloodlessly, and with no mouth-foamage.

It's just lame, he should've exploded his head with a Magnum (this goon is one of the most obnoxious ones in the film).

To add even more lameness, there's a fake newspaper headline featuring the goon's death and I'm pretty sure I saw they misspelt 'cannoli' with one N, although I never rewound to check.......(?)

'Canoli', ffs. Sort yasens art!!!

Comment

Tonight, rewatched FIGHT CLUB for like the 30th time. First time I've seen it this decade. And most of the last.

I never want to see it again.

NEVER.

Bored me to bloody tears, it did, and looks well-hokey, nowadays.

Comment

Man of Steel
                            Working through the core related films so we see the full arc leading into the Snyder Cut this rewatch comes first. It's always interesting because the regular internet debate and dissection is always close to mind and each time the experience yields new results. This time, Jonathan's tornado death. Watching it again and to be honest the event and rational behind seem spot on, the film qualifies the decision in a couple of scenes and the dialogue surrounding it but definitely the execution is the issue. Having Jonathan die this way isn't the issue, its the way the scene is framed that pulls the rug out from under it. Second is Zod's death, within the framework of the films story it's again another scene that makes absolute sense and has become a dumb thing to moan about. The more the years pass the better I hold MOS up, it's definitely flawed but it gets ripped on way, way to much and is much better than numerous other superhero movies that get easier rides.

Next up is Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition. It'll be interesting to rewatch that one too especially since I'm not as forgiving of that one

Comment

At some point you are rewatching aquaman.

What past sins are you trying to atone for?

Comment

Aquaman. WTF. Also the outfits with the fins on the gloves.... lol.

Wonderwoman 1984. Well, the 80s stuff was awesome. The plot was weird, but kinda fits the lighthearted WW universe more than the War stuff in the first one. Gadot looked great as

her powers diminished

playing the role really well. Watchable.

I care a lot. Cool apart from the ending which was disappointing but signposted if I'd been paying attention.

Molly's Game. Time flew by, although I'm not sure why. Very little content. Worthwhile I suppose.

Going to watch Godzilla vs Kong tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X